collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk shed Ages??????  (Read 2857 times)

Offline BK Dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Elk shed Ages??????
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but here goes!!
#1 at what age do bulls shed there first rack?
#2 do younger bulls retain there rack longer than older bulls?
#3 what time of year do are Elk loose there sheds?? (Western)Wa.
#4 how long does it take for an Elk to grow there new rack?????

Thank You for any and all answers.

Offline agchawk

• AGCHAWK
  • Sourdough
Re: Elk shed Ages??????
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:05:11 PM »
Some of the same factors that trigger the growth of antlers also trigger the shedding of those antlers. To keep it simple, a decrease in testosterone levels trigger a weakening or eroding of the pedicle base of the antler. Once it has weakened or eroded to a certain point, the antler will drop. Because the growth and subsequent loss of those antlers are triggered by testosterone levels, younger bulls and bulls that are past their prime (If they live long enough) can and will retain their antlers longer than a prime bull. They do not yet have, or have lost, those strong "triggers". Of course, it's mother nature we are talking about so there are always exceptions. Weather, stress, and many other factors can and do have effects on a bull's testosterone "trigger" cycle also.

As for when they are shedding, they should be doing it now, or VERY CLOSE to now in most areas. In fact, I believe another member just posted some fresh Rosie sheds a couple days ago.

And, as for growing them...the pedicle will heal over after the antler is shed. Soon afterwards, you will start to see the tell-tale nubs of new antlers as they grow their new set of headgear. Again, the rate is dictated in a large way by the health of the bull, his age, and his stage in life.

Lastly, you asked at what age do bulls shed their first rack. Well, unless the bull has issues with his testosterone levels (Injury, castration, etc) they shed their first rack after that first year's cycle. In other words, they shed their ranks at relatively the same time of year whether it's their first set of bone or 8th set of bone (With all other factors above taken into consideration)

I am not a biologist so if someone has something better or can point out where I might be wrong, please do so. I just study this sorta stuff as a hobby.

Offline head hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »
first year bulls will shed their racks, even if its a spike. The biggest bulls usualy dump their racks first, but I've picked up a 380 the day it fell off at the end of april so I guess it just really depends on the bull. The Roo's are dropping right now, so are the Rockys, I'll be heading down to Oregon in two weekends to do some looking.
Its all about the bone baby!

Offline BK Dave

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
Thanks for the Quick Response! And I find that what you both are telling me, is very informative!
 I have recently put a tree cam up near where I live and was surprised to see 2 or 3 young Bull Elk already starting to grow there rack!! I was and still am surprised.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:52:10 PM by BK Dave »

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
Great pics.  Looks like a yearling (last years calf) sprouting his first set of bones (spikes).  Most bulls will be dropping between now and the end of the first week in April.  Antler production is the fastest non-cancerous tissue known to man.  They can grow up to 1.0-1.5"  per day.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline Dipsnort

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
#3 what time of year do are Elk loose there sheds?? (Western)Wa.
Just barely before they lose them. :P

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal