collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last week Moose  (Read 8980 times)

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Last week Moose
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:47:59 PM »
Selkirk moose

275 down 2

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
Re: Last week Moose
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:55:24 PM »
 :) Congrats, thats a nice looking bull!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:03:55 PM »
 :tup:

thanks for posting the pics.
nice bull.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:10:20 PM »
Congratulations! Thanks for posting the pics, Now what about the details?

Offline Jackjr

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
Nice bull. Hope to have a chance someday

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:55:05 PM »
Im jealous....great pic and nice bull...grats! ;)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
Nice bull, congrats, how about the story now :)
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline mitown

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »

That is sweet,can't wait to here the story

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
Congratulations on your trophy!

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »
Nice bull!!!
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 06:59:29 PM »
awesome bull, love to do that one day

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »
nice bull!!!  When you get a chance could you post the story?
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »
Now you can enjoy the best part of the hunt, moose steaks. Very tasty and nothing like em. Good job!
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
I was drawn for a Selkirk Moose hunt this summer and had everything lined up. I had three buddies who lived within ninety minutes of the hunting unit who would help me. I was planning on taking the bull with my bow but that did not work out. Here is the story…

I was ready to head out September 30th (The truck was completely packed.) when my wife got a phone call that her Dad was having heart issues. Two days later he had a pacemaker installed and is doing much better. I had to go to Florida for business on the 5th of October and did not get back until the 13th. I had to catch up on my regular work which meant that I could not get heading out to hunt until the 20th and I had one week to make it happen. I was hunting alone as my pre-scheduled help had to go back to work. Pressure was ON!!!

The rut was over and it was spot and stalk hunting. The State Biologist told me to draw my focus of my hunt on the lower elevations which I did. I did my homework in early months and felt confident even though the fun part of the hunt was over. I get there and the first three days I stayed low in elevation and saw some tracks but no moose. The fourth day it snows four inches up high and I went high to see if I could have some better chances. I crossed many moose tracks and started seeing moose. My first encounter was classic… I see a cow, then another, then another; I am moving fast and looking hard through the blow down looking for the bull. There is a little bench in the hill side which I targeted and pressed harder and pick up the pace to get there. I arrived to see a cow in front of me and I am looking for the bull. I looked for about 10 minutes which I then turn to my right and there he is, a shooter and he had been looking at me for who knows how long but by the time I put the rifle to my shoulder he had enough with me and turned and ran down the hill. I took chase trying to cut off his cows, I just want to let everyone know that those things can out run car thief. So I lost that battle.

I headed down another finger and ran into another set of tracks more cows and their friends up the hill told them to run from me. So the track race was on and I lost another battle but I had a blast.

The next morning I was driving up high and I had informed many of the deer hunters that I had a moose tag which was nice. They would let me know of anything they see. I was rounding a corner to a 700 acre clear cut and Scott (deer hunter) was stopped in the road pumping his breaks. I get out ran down to him and there is a cow just heading over a hill into the cut. I get out my binoculars and we start picking out cows. Then at the bottom of this cut/ bowl, I see a cow then the bull.

I look at the hill side and estimated the wind and plan of attack. I was fighting the brush and bumped a small bull that took off up the hill. He did not stick around at all. I pushed to the other side of the finger and found a great trail that leads me to the bottom of the cut. I started to move towards where I had last seen the moose and started finding moose roads. I kept checking the wind and within a few minutes I had five cows in within seventy yards of me. I slowed way down (dropped my day pack) as I could hear the bull growling in front of me as he was raking his antlers but I think he was just moving his head trying to eat in that thick brush. I waited for about five minutes and out popped a cow in an opening. Then here he comes but his vitals are still covered in brush. I ranged him at 118 yards and readied my rifle. He stepped out in the opening and I pocket shot him. The bullet was a complete pass through and destroyed the bottom half of his heart. I have a picture of that but will not post.

The bull took about five steps and fell down then he got back up and I chambered another round. Which the bull took another three steps before the final fall. But his back half was in a water/mud pit.

From tip to tip it was over 52 inches. But at the widest spot it is a little over 57 inches. As you can see the paddles are not very wide and the bull will most likely will not make book.

There are a few other stories that happened which I will not post for everyone but are pretty funny. One sad note was a hunter that crashed his quad on the road and was not wearing a helmet. When he was taken away after 55 minutes of being unconscious he was still not awake… Please wear your helmets!!!

If anyone gets drawn next year I do have that place dialed in and will help you all I can...
275 down 2

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter