collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idabooner Tags #8  (Read 15758 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Idabooner Tags #8
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:37:11 PM »
Hi folks, the hunt is already over, so I guess I can get to taking pictures.  We started at daylight this morning and within the first two minutes of the hunt I said theres a possible shooter.  He thought I was kidding as he hadn't seen a buck the last couple days he had been scouting.  It was a 4 point, about 3.5 years old.  Very short tines, but good mass.  We let him walk.  It was dark enough I couldn't get phots, but here is a blurry one....

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Idabooner Tags #8
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:45:16 PM »
We looked over alot of animals, but only a couple two points.  It was about noon and we had moved to a different local.  We were scouting access to an area we had hunted in the past.  Idabooner sent me ahead and of course I kick a decent buck.  It looked like a shooter.  I ran back and got him, and by the time we got back they were out of range.  We got back to the truck and backtracked up the road.  We caught up with the deer and the debate began.  There was a borderline 4 point with a doe and three other does.  Problem is, the buck I saw was bigger I was sure, and there were 8 deer.  I think we got wambuzzled, but we counted only the one buck.  He had nice tines, but small mass.  Another 3.5 year old.  We moved on.  We stopped by the house to get some grub, then headed over to check out some country we hadn't hunted before.  As evening approached I wanted to get back to the sage.  We were glassing deer bedded in the rocks and feeding in the brush, when some deer came trotting by us.  I still don't know what scared them.  One was a samll 3x4

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »
We then spotted another 2 point.  We were trying to decide what we wanted to do.  ABout that time, Idabooner spottede a buck up on the hill in the rocks and asked if that was the same buck.  I looked up there and said nope, and ran back to the truck to get the spotter.  We got it set up and the analysis began.  He was about 400-500 yards up the hill in the rocks.  To try to describe what went on next is impossible.  I changed my mind 15 times whether I wanted him to pull the trigger or not.   It was a very long shot.  He looked through the scope and said he couldn't even see it.  He handed me the rifle, and I'm like holy cow.  Then I looked and it was on 2 power.  We cranked uit up to 7 and it was much better.  We finally decided to let him walk, then he waled out onto the rock outcropping and I'm like are you sure???  Dad was looking through the scope, and he caught an angle that made him want him.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »
The 270 with a 150 grain bullet set at zero at 200 yards and a 22 inch drop at 400 yards FIRED.....

Idabooner was on the gun on my cooler as a rest shooting almost straight uphill.  A very long shot.   He was perfect and the trigger was squeezing, and the doe in front decided to turn.  THe spotter yelled hold, and then the buck followed and there was no shot.  Ten minutes or an eternity passed while Idabooner sat there and waited.  I was about to ask if he wanted to stretch, and he was about to get up when I said he is moving.  He cleared teh brush and posed so majestic on the upper rocks.  I said take your shot.  Boom!  I swear the crack was done and there was a breath almost, and I saw the bullet hit.  PERFECT SHOT! I yelled.  The buck hopped and trotted forward.  He paused.  He didn't have far to go to clear the ridge and the real work would have started.  He stood there in the wide open.  I said hit him again, and he did.  This one cost us some meat.  Idabooner put one more and got him in the front shoulders.   He held his crosshairs 4 inches above the back and hit him smack in the boiler room with the first shot.  The buck was dead and just didn't know it.  I busted up the hill to go claim the buck and haul him down the mountain.  Michelle, you would love this cape.  It is gorgeous, with lots of black.  Its very possible we could have done better, but with this blue bird weather pattern, who knows, and who cares.  The shooter is very happy, and so is the guide.  This was the 8th buck of the day, our 4th four point.  Now we will be out with camera gear, and probably will see some monsters.  We won't be limited to our unit now and can have some real fun.  P.S.  I think this is the first time I have ever seen DaD SMILE ;)

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:12:03 PM »
Looks like great fun so far!  Man is his neck swelled up!  I'm PUMPED to get to the entiat this weekend!  Congrats!  What other hunts do you ahve for the rest of the month?  You are on FIRE this year!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:17:39 PM »
bone congrats man, tell your pops great job on the shot and on a gorgeous deer!! refresh my memory if you would on which tag he had. anyways great job. And a big congrats.  I get why you werent sure if you should wait. doesnt look like much weather in the forecast for the next couple weeks.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »
Chiliwist tag.....which is very weather dependent.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:20:50 PM »
Awsome, looks like your dad shot a nice buck. Looks like the weather is too nice over there oh well take what you can get.  You said 8th buck of the day, what did everyone else take out of there? 

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »
 :IBCOOL:

Fantastic story and buck. Nice photos  :hello:

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 10:49:10 PM »
thanks bone, congrats again!!!

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:54:55 PM »
great story and buck.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 06:06:12 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm not sure Michael.  I have an Idaho tag eating a hole in my pocket, but not sure I will get over there or not.  I guess I ahve the time now.  Mostly i'll be trying to gather some photos for the troops here I think.  The neatest thing about these late tags is we didn't see another hunter the entire day.  I suppose some of the more popular ones like the Entiat you might, but this is big country over here and early.  Most won't show until the weekend, and there are a lot of square miles for 25 tags.   We are headed out this morning to see if we can get some on film that we might have missed, then its cutting up time and I need to work on his cape.  This thing is gorgeous. 

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 06:34:27 AM »
Congrats..sounds like it was busy, but great day.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 07:14:38 AM »
way to go again boys...i should have turned the pooter on last night.
congrats idabooner and i'm glad your boy didn't make you shoot that dink 3 point  :chuckle:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 08:31:22 AM »
As Mr. Potato Head said, "Way to go Idaho" Great story Boone, I love it when you can get pics of the buck before he is harvested, tell pops congrats..................rf
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by blackveltbowhunter
[Today at 06:44:48 AM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 06:33:38 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by 92xj
[Today at 06:18:19 AM]

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]