collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: When they drop?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
When they drop?
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
Hey guys I'm not new to hunting in general but sheds is another story this is my first year for that. I've found one side of a white tail last weekend that was just enough to get me to drive back this weekend but to no avail not for lack of trying. :dunno: maybe some of you guys could give some hints on when deer drop so I can plan to back up next year and try to locate where they are about that time! Thanks for the help 
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
Re: When they drop?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »
The earliest I've ever found whitetail sheds was Jan 8th. It was a 4x5 match set with fresh blood on them. Problem is that most years there is too much snow when they are dropping. If you plan a trip around the 1st of March you should be ok. Watch the weather and don't go right after a snow storm. They will all be covered up.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:00:48 AM »
Moose start first of Dec, then whitetails start towards the end of December, and shortly thereafter Muledeer.  Elk start first of March.  Then there is a bell curve when they all fall off for each species along with a few stragglers.  Please try not to pressure them too early.

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Case in point for Roosevelt elk.  I spent 10 hours on the coast on 4/9 and of the 15-20 bulls I saw that day (mostly *censored*s) most had both antlers.  A couple had one antler, and there was an older herd of about 6 bulls that were already crowing out with brow tines and heavy main beam buds.  I found one antler that day and it was a 4pt (bloody). In that same area in years past, they've all been dropped by 4/1.  It does fluctuate depending on the photo period, nutrition, and other factors.  You can figure that by the end of April all elk will have dumped their headgear.  I found four elk spikes on opening day of turkey hunting one year.  They usually are last to drop so that is another data point to consider.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline Shedman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »
 This is my opinion, when post rut hits it triggers hormones that releases blood flow to the antlers,  then pressure from  harsh winters have an affect on when deer will shed. If feed is good deer will generally shed sooner. If proteins in their diet are depleted deer will hold their antlers longer.  One deer in the same area may hold antlers much longer than one its same size does. I have seen it happen over and over, then you find a group of bucks that shed close together as well. New antler growth releases old sheds.If a buck is healthy he will shed early! That's my opinion! take it or leave it!

Offline Shedman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
 I meant in that last statement, when blood flow stops it begins process as well as new antler growth. Big T

Offline Shedman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »
Moose start first of Dec, then whitetails start towards the end of December, and shortly thereafter Muledeer.  Elk start first of March.  Then there is a bell curve when they all fall off for each species along with a few stragglers.  Please try not to pressure them too early.
 I agree with this as well. The dates are very accurate! pressuring the animals too early stresses them out too much and will eventually lead to closing this sport down. Scout from a distance, and when the animals have moved out then check it out! Try to stay away from the animals as much as possible from Dec to March.

Offline head hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:14:13 AM »
depending on how hard the winter was and the feed they have will reflect on the drop date.Any time after the first of the year you should be ok to start looking
Its all about the bone baby!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal