collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No luck this weekend by davenport  (Read 1685 times)

Offline AceInTheWild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
No luck this weekend by davenport
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:30:03 AM »
Went this weekend and guided a hunt for my father and his friend by Davenport. saturday we saw plenty of shooter but all of them were on private land and we diddnt have permission. we planned to hunt all day sunday and get tags filled but the birds were soo pressured all day saturday that sunday we couldnt get a gobble from anyone. finnally at about 4 pm we set up decoys in a roosting area and a big tom came strutting up to about 50 yards away and then a very "cool" dude came and walkin up and walked right in front of the decoys and spooked the bird :bdid:. there is a reason for hunters education and im glad that we all passed. but i feel that people may have cheated the system. no offense to this guy but your an idiot to walk to someones decoys to see if they are real.  anyway there is alot of potential in birds from davenport on up north.  for anyone planning a hunt in this area go do some scouting and get permission to some land. this will make your hunt way more pleasurable, and probably more succesful.   

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: No luck this weekend by davenport
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
We had similar results in the same area. Saturday the birds were very vocal and we had an opportunity or two. Sunday, the birds gobbled for about an hour after first light and that was it.

Offline TwelveMileLimit

• Pilgrim
Re: No luck this weekend by davenport
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
Same experience here.  Saturday, lots of talk, saw alot of birds (though they were henned up good on the adjacent property, and I couldn't get em over the fence.)  Sunday, barely a gobble.

Finally about 1030 on Saturday I was able to work a nice tom in from a ways out.  Had him to within 100 yrds, and just needed him to cross a dirt road to the decoys and he was ours.  Just as he comes down to cross the road, a guy drives his big deisel, complete with fifth wheel right up the road.  The turkey didn't split completely though, and I started working him back....just as this dude decides he brought his trailer up the wrong dirt road, and then proceeds to spend the next 30 minutes backing out...honking, yelling at his old lady, gunning the engine.  My bird, and every other one in the area I'm sure, was long gone, as we just sat and watched in disgust.  :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal