• Frontiersman
« on: November 06, 2007, 08:53:15 PM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:17:00 AM by Miles »

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: sheds while hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:55:53 PM »
I never find them in the fall for some reason. It seems like I have to follow bucks around until they drop just about.  :bash:

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »
I find quite a few. I think about 30 last year and 20 the year before.There are a few of us that look together all the time. My buddie finds more than I do. I spend too much time following the big ones and never end up finding them.
I posted a few from last year under the most recent shed topic "show off bone" or something like that. One real nice 5X6 set, scores about 170 with spread credit of 20". That was the biggest.

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
I have never found a mosse shed. Only a few whities while going to school at WSU. The rest are mule deer.

Offline turkeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:14:09 PM »
 I am a newbie to the site...Let me know how to get pictures to you and I will send pictures of the 5 sheds I found during Archery season

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:25:18 AM »
I found a matching 5 pt elk shed this late summer..during archery..I would have posted pics earlier...but my camera busted. I just got a new one today...will post em tomorrow!

Cheers~

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:57:59 AM »
Lets see them sheds...
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
I usually pick up 5 or so. None yet though.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »
thats the only way i've ever found any sheds...
we find at least 2 or 3 whitey sheds every year while deer hunting, we were on a roll of 3 years in a row finding a dead head with horns, and all 3 years were bigger than normal 2 points. this past year while turkey hunting is when we found the moose sheds. still not sure how much turkey hunting is gonna get done this year  8)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 08:55:34 PM »
I actually found my first shed this Sept :) It is a 5 point elk shed with a tine broken off leaving a inch stub. I found it deep in the toutle woods.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 05:40:54 AM »
I found a 5pt bull shed this weekend while hunting deer. he too has a tin broke off.

Offline E-Town Hunter

• Certified Antler Addict
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
It seems to me like all I would ever find were small forkies until two years ago I found a decent 4 point shed while hunting. I had never really shed hunted before but I decided this past spring to go searching a spot near my home (which isn't a well know wintering area for deer like say the Chelan or Methow area). After about 2 hours of searching I kinda lost interest and was heading back to the truck when I almost stunmbled over a decent 5 point shed. This kind of got my juices flowing again so I decided to turn around and look alittle more. I would say about 75 yards from that shed I just picked out I found a set of fresh browns lying side by side. They turned out to be a really nice set of sheds 4 point with double eye guards. Needless to say I was stoked for being a very novice shed hunter. I'm looking forward to getting back out this comming spring and trying to find something even bigger.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 08:43:13 PM »
I seem to find all of mine while hunting and very few whil scouting not sure why I'm allways looking. Here is a 6 pt elk and a little 2pt I found while hunting in Idaho last week.

I know not the best look at the horns but I was trying to get the terrain in this shot more than anything, I seem to allways forget about taking a picture where they lay. Then after the fact I think "crap I allready picked them up that would have made a cool shot"
I'm a dork!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 07:20:12 AM »
I usually find a few every year hunting.  None this year however.  Couple years ago I found a big matching 6 pt elk set and a 4 pt mulie 15 yards from each other.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »
Elk hunting this year, this crazy guy found this one, its a nice one.

For comparison, the guy with the shed strapped to his back is one big dude. Scout Sniper, been in Iraq/Afganistan.
The chains n'stuff are what we found along the road...figured the weight would help 'slow him down' just a bit.  :chuckle:
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal