collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2007 archery elk  (Read 11794 times)

Offline Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
Re: 2007 archery elk
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 06:46:24 PM »
You WON'T need the camera next year!!! Theres no Elk left!!! Just kidding... Congrats to all!!!

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 07:08:03 AM »
Hey Snapshooter,

On the home computer.....thought I would add a pic of your 07 buck...just to let folks know how lucky you are.....biggest bull this year...biggest buck of the group also!

Broken Arrow

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 07:21:26 AM »
Maybe you guys should quit packing into Mt Rainier Nat'l Park....
hey, where's Professor Chaos? Anyone seen him?

This post will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 07:35:30 AM »
lol....I didn't know "northwest trek" was part of the park.....far from that my friend!

Offline Snap Shooter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 08:12:59 AM »
I dont believ in luck, I was a blessed man this year, you guys did most of the scouting and I just capitalized, thanks to all the hunting partners for their hard work. I dont know if we will ever repeat.

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »
lol....I didn't know "northwest trek" was part of the park.....far from that my friend!

I know it wasn't Northwest Trek since they don't have animals that small there!

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »
great point!....good thing were not trophy hunters or we would have gone hungry the past 3 years

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
What a great year! Thanks for the stories.

Questions...How long have you guys been archery hunting? how long did it take to consistently start taking animals every year?

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 09:56:07 AM »
great point!....good thing were not trophy hunters or we would have gone hungry the past 3 years

Exactly, given the fact that you guys don't work and just collect unemployment all hunting season!

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
ahh nice buck snapshooter. and a hoyt man at that.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »
Myself and snapshot have been hunting partners for about 16 years. We have archery hunted for 14 years. It took me 3 years of archery hunting to get my first animal. After that, combined, we have only had 1 year where as we have not killed an animal. We both have had off the chart success rates on both elk and deer. My other partner, is my brother in law....he got his first archery elk this year ( 3rd year archery hunting elk), though has smoked us on big bucks, especially Blacktails. My other two partners are Washington transplants, who have both had excellent success on both species, including two Pope and Young deer, through out the midwest and mountain states all with archery gear.

I base our success on the fact that we train exceptionally hard through out the off season.  I personally have the fear of not being able to keep up with several members of our group who are either current members of our militaries Special Forces or ex-members. I can not count the the numerous miles I have put on climbing hills with a full pack 3 to 4 days a week, cross training at the gym during lmy unch hour, and running mile after mile in the evening. We all shoot our bows almost every day, even if for just 20 shots a night. Many of us also attend numerous seminars on calling, hunting techniques, gear etc.

Hunting wilderness hunts is not for the light of heart. It is hard and grueling.....and if your not physically and mentally prepared, the mountains, elements, and fatigue will break even the most well intentioned.

My mind set has always been, I will get 2 to 3 opportunities, per hunt. I need to be prepared to make those work.

Also we set realistic goals, we are not trophy hunters. We have killed many nice animals, some much bigger than these original pictures, however with that said....let a big cow come across me in the back country at 20 yards and I'm eating steak all winter!

Offline Snap Shooter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:05 AM »
Snap Shooter here, I concur! Preparation is everything. This has been an area of weakness for me the last few years, because I have always been blessed with athletic ability and have relied on that history, but now that I am getting older, I think I am the oldest in our camp at 48, I need to focus even more on off season physical and mental preparation. This year I shot my bow a lot  and purchased a new Hoyt and was feeling very confident out to 80 yrds. In the past 13-14 years of bow hunting, I have never not killed an animal in the field. Willingness to go where others wont go and endure hardship that others wont endure is the key to success. I cant tell you how many times people have come and gone in our camps over the years and those that don't stay are the same ones that just don't commit fully (current group excluded). I remember on many occasions the core group telling people @ 4:30AM on day 5 "get out of bed"! And those timid hunters replying "I am just to tired" I can not tell you how many times the core group telling the timids go across those 3 canyons and push that draw and you will get shots and the timids saying "that's just to far to walk, I will hunt right here near the rig". The willingness to put yourself into situations that the average or timid hunter wont put themselves in results in one thing, meat in the freezer. I have shot some decent animals over the years, but never trophy quality animals, just lots of animals.

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
Looks like you guys had a great year, do you have any more pics?
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
Myself and snapshot have been hunting partners for about 16 years. We have archery hunted for 14 years. It took me 3 years of archery hunting to get my first animal. After that, combined, we have only had 1 year where as we have not killed an animal. We both have had off the chart success rates on both elk and deer. My other partner, is my brother in law....he got his first archery elk this year ( 3rd year archery hunting elk), though has smoked us on big bucks, especially Blacktails. My other two partners are Washington transplants, who have both had excellent success on both species, including two Pope and Young deer, through out the midwest and mountain states all with archery gear.

I base our success on the fact that we train exceptionally hard through out the off season.  I personally have the fear of not being able to keep up with several members of our group who are either current members of our militaries Special Forces or ex-members. I can not count the the numerous miles I have put on climbing hills with a full pack 3 to 4 days a week, cross training at the gym during lmy unch hour, and running mile after mile in the evening. We all shoot our bows almost every day, even if for just 20 shots a night. Many of us also attend numerous seminars on calling, hunting techniques, gear etc.

Hunting wilderness hunts is not for the light of heart. It is hard and grueling.....and if your not physically and mentally prepared, the mountains, elements, and fatigue will break even the most well intentioned.

My mind set has always been, I will get 2 to 3 opportunities, per hunt. I need to be prepared to make those work.

Also we set realistic goals, we are not trophy hunters. We have killed many nice animals, some much bigger than these original pictures, however with that said....let a big cow come across me in the back country at 20 yards and I'm eating steak all winter!

Did you get rid of that Mathews POS and go back to a real bow yet?

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
not yet "JB", its still killing animal!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]