collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: coon hunting  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
coon hunting
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
i was wonderin if theres any local coon hunters around me. i live near tumwater and my family who i hunt with is in washugal. i want to give the pup some more practice before we go lion hunting. so if theres anyone out there who wouldnt mind me coming along some night on a coon, let me now. ive been having issues with her around other hounds though, been trying to break that habit and guys say i need to run her more often with other dogs, not by herself. if anyone is close, like 30min away from tumwater, i would love to tag along, also i will help pay with gas and all.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: coon hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:10:11 PM »
I know some guys over that way, I'll put the word out to them.  If you don't mind me asking what is the pup doing that your not happy with?
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »
getting along with other hounds, shes ok some times but when they confront her to quickly she gets all female dog-ish. ive always ran her by herself cuase i only got one dog, but the guys say if i run her with others she'll get use to hunting with other dogs. some said hook up a shockin collar to her when she acts out like that but i aint got money to buy one. she'll turn out ok i think, but i still guta get her more expeirence with other hounds before i run her on lion. you got any suggestions to solving this problem?

that'd be awsome if ya could hook me up with someone that would let me tag along

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »
i don't know anything about coon hounds, but i don't think the collar is a good solution. i think it sounds like a socializing issue. any dog interaction should help IMO. sounds like she isn't used to other dogs. how old is she? is she very dominant or submissive?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:36:31 PM »
IMO the shock collar is real bad advice.  If she is getting growly with another dog and you light her up she is going to associate bad things with other dogs, not her behavior.  I have heard of dogs getting shocked and lashing out at the dog they were just growling at.  She needs to be socialized, and it doesn't have to be hounds, just get her being playful with other dogs.  If she bows up on a dog jump right in and make her understand the leader of the pack (you) does not tolerat that stuff even for a second.  If she keeps it up and/or gets more aggressive, I'd either hunt her by herself or put her down.  An ill dog is one trait I will not tolerate and will not hunt with someone who has a growly dog.  Hopefully she is just young and will quickly grow out of it.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
she's a year old, but a hell of a dog. shes a natural at everything, never had to really teach her anything, if anything she taught me, lol. and as far as putting her down, well once any one gets attached to a dog i dont think they'll put them down. but shes young and if she is always growly round other dogs, i guess i just be running her solo, which so far hasnt been a bad thing

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »
I know a person that runs her hound by itself and also allows it to run with other hounds, but I think she began running it with other hounds when it was older, she still runs it by itself more so than with others and does fine. 

Also, from what i've been told if you want a good lion dog you should only train that hound on lion, not any other animal.  If they are trained treeing coons, bears, or whatever then when lion hunting if you came across one of those tracks they would be more prone to taking off on those tracks.  Just what i've heard, I dont know much up raising hounds or training them.

Offline coonhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:04:49 PM »
 ;) turn loose my dogs? :chuckle: Should I :dunno:  :chuckle:

what weight do you think it was?  :drool:

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:35 PM »
well i dont mind running her solo on coons, but when it comes to lions and bears i want her to have other dogs with her. that way some dog will have her back and she has a better chance at not getting hurt. i've never ran lion before, but from what i hear they can be one of the easiest things to tree, guess they really dont like dogs

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »
Understood.  Yeah lions are pretty easy to tree "for the most part" sometimes though they can be a pain and take you on crazy excursions and try to out-run you and the hounds.  If you ever do run your dog solo, just make sure its in an area where the cat can tree easily, meaning make sure there are a lot of trees around and not a minimal amount or else the cat may stand its ground, on the ground.

Offline coonhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »
 :hello: surprise here coon stolen my food!  :chuckle:
What I would do Turn my dogs on loose.  :dunno:

coonhunter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]