collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Buckrun  (Read 10458 times)

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
Buckrun
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »
i submitted my special permit apps for deer (very bummed on the selection). I put in for
Buckrun, anyone had any experience with it?

Offline hornhunter

• Scout
Re: Buckrun
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »
Its kinda like the Desert unit, but waaaaay better!   :rolleyes:

Offline E-Town Hunter

• MASTER Road hunter!
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
Its kinda like the Desert unit, but waaaaay better!   :rolleyes:
I'm curious as to why you would think that?

Offline bowhunterforever

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:17:56 AM »
I was wondering about the buckrun hunt too.It is in gmu 272 beezly right? I just cant figure what the boundries are for the buckrun area, i was just curious what the boundries are? :dunno: Thanks
You know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline 509er

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:12:43 AM »
Pretty much a canned hunt.  If you get drawn no need to worry about he boundaries, he will pretty much  tell you where you are going to hunt and what deer you are to shoot.  Most people who live in the area do not think very highly of Buckrun, the "public relations" sucks.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:22:17 AM by 509er »
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Offline hornhunter

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »

200" bucks everywhere you look.  Kinda like a kings calander!   :angel:

Offline E-Town Hunter

• MASTER Road hunter!
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »

200" bucks everywhere you look.  Kinda like a kings calander!   :angel:
LOL  :chuckle: I grew up with buck run as pretty much my back yard living in Wilson Creek and I have never seen a 200" buck running around. I'm not saying he doesn't have a couple of monsters out there, but the myth that 200" bucks are running around all over his property just waiting to be shot is hardly truth. I spend lots and lots of hours nosing around his property from the county roads because I have always heard that myth also and I have yet to see one remotely close to 200". I'll say this though, he does have a very high buck ratio with several quality animals. The other down side to that hunt is that chances are it's going to be a 1 day hunt. It would be cool to hunt with no other hunters present though.  :twocents:

Offline finnman

• Longhunter
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
I had a client who about 10 years ago paid for himself and a friend to hunt the Steven's property. Needless to say the pics he showed me were of two of the biggest deer I have seen in WA! One was a 27 inch wide non-typical, 4x4 main frame with stickers all over, the other one was a 31 inch typical 4x4! :yike:
I guess money can buy happiness!!! :dunno:

Offline GrainfedMuley

• Off-Topics
  • Tracker
  • That's my boy, Myles Montgomery
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
 I am curious...where exactly from the town of Wilson Creek is this Buckrun? I pass through Wilson Creek every year to go to my hunting spot in Lincoln county. A few years ago I read a book on Muley's and the book said that the Wilson Creek area has the biggest bucks in the state.   :dunno:  Isn't that entire area 100% locked up private land?
A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey!

Hunting and fishing is boring....Killing and catching is fun.  Quote: John Hubbard,  Master Sargent, Washington Army National Guard

Offline E-Town Hunter

• MASTER Road hunter!
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline TeacherMan

• Frontiersman
  • 189" 11x13 P&Y
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
I am curious...where exactly from the town of Wilson Creek is this Buckrun? I pass through Wilson Creek every year to go to my hunting spot in Lincoln county. A few years ago I read a book on Muley's and the book said that the Wilson Creek area has the biggest bucks in the state.   :dunno:  Isn't that entire area 100% locked up private land?

thats why they have the biggest bucks in the state  :chuckle:
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »
1) Buckrun

Buckrun is located in Grant County, near the town of Wilson Creek. A legal description of the property has been filed with the county and is in the contract between Buckrun and the department.

Hunting on Buckrun is managed for a quality experience by scheduling hunt dates and keeping the number of hunters in the field low. Hunters with limited flexibility for hunt dates may experience scheduling problems. Hunters can generally expect one day hunts with written authorization from the Buckrun manager. All hunters must check in and out on hunt day. Schedule hunts in advance by calling 509-345-2577.

Deer

2008 Buckrun Landowner Hunting Permits

The manager of Buckrun will distribute these hunting permits. An access fee may be charged in order to utilize these permits. No access fee will be charged for the raffle permit winners. Only hunters possessing a modern firearm deer tag are eligible for permits on Buckrun properties. Contact the manager at 509-345-2577 for additional information.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »
I have seen a few good sized bucks up there but not monsters.  Like said before the buck to doe ratio is good.  its hard to miss the area, he has huge ass white signs made out of what look to be 4'x6' plywood stating private land.

And yes its all private land :chuckle:

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
sounds interesting...

Offline WABONEHNTR

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »
Pretty much a canned hunt.  If you get drawn no need to worry about he boundaries, he will pretty much  tell you where you are going to hunt and what deer you are to shoot.  Most people who live in the area do not think very highly of Buckrun, the "public relations" sucks.  :twocents:

:yeah:+1   Not a guy/family to mess with either. 

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
    • Backcountryhunting.net
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
If you draw you are pretty much guaranteed a doe.  One day is plenty out there.

Offline TeacherMan

• Frontiersman
  • 189" 11x13 P&Y
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »

:yeah:+1   Not a guy/family to mess with either. 

Never met the guy but just think about it if you had thousands of acres of the best deer hunting in the state you would constantly be having to patrol it and kick people off of it. And if you didn't give people permission to hunt on it you are automatically an ass hole. Look at it from a land owners perspective, when your land is being tresspassed on you would tend to be a little short with people.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline 509er

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »

[/quote]

Never met the guy but just think about it if you had thousands of acres of the best deer hunting in the state you would constantly be having to patrol it and kick people off of it. And if you didn't give people permission to hunt on it you are automatically an ass hole. Look at it from a land owners perspective, when your land is being tresspassed on you would tend to be a little short with people.
[/quote]

Yep, I agree with above 100%, I am sure he has to deal with more than his fair share of *censored*es.   I just don't agree with harassing people on county roads or on public land that falls within the boundaries of "buckrun".   :twocents:
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
I have been to his house and looked at his shed pile. I saw NO 200 inch Bucks and nothing close to it. He does have some around 30 inches as was said earlier. It is not high fenced so they can get out. He has water and food plots so there is no reason for them to leave. I use to spend a lot of time in the area. There are some nice Bucks in that area. Solid 180+ but they are few and far between and on private property. Buckrun is just west of Wilson Creek. I go with a guy general rifle on private in the Irby area the first couple days. A nice 185 class 30 incher was taken there a couple years ago.

Offline Houndhunter

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
would be great if there werent so many people, talking more bout the general area. used to be alota big bucks but they just dont get the time to grow i think, the biggest i saw last year woulda gone 150-160 i think. the problem on the property i hunt is that you get alota people sneakin on or shooting at bucks on the property. but they definetly got the genes, so im sure that guy has some great bucks on his land. the guy that runs buckrun sounds like an a-hole from what ive heard but i've never met him :dunno:

Offline hornhunter

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
Im sorry I even made a joke.  Everyone gets so defensive whenever 200" or 30" comes up.  I was just trying to cause a little trouble and I did!  :chuckle:  I couldnt resist, Personally I would never put in for Buck run, one day to hunt and not the quality of deer Im after.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 08:21:47 AM »
Not sure why this topic got nuked, but I returned it.  I see nothing wrong with it.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 09:25:23 AM »
Teacherman, just so you know Stevens does exactly what 509 said.  He also sends out a plane to herd deer onto his property from neighboring land.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline E-Town Hunter

• MASTER Road hunter!
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
I haven't had any runs in with him yet and I spend alot of time driving around on the county roads throughout his land, but he does have an uncanny nack for showing up everytime I'm out there.  :chuckle: He deffinately doesn't look amused everytime he sees my truck when we pass eachother on those narrow roads. Until I have a negative experience with him though I will not judge him for the things I have heard about him. I personally think he is a guy who loves mule deer and if more land owners spent the time and effort he does into deer managment we might actually have decent hunting in this state.  :twocents:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
if more land owners spent the time and effort he does into deer managment we might actually have decent hunting in this state
Though true in some sense, I don't really consider that decent hunting, espcially lacking a couple grand for a days hunt. 

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

* Recent Topics

Full Draw Film Tour 7/25 by elk247
[Today at 10:11:41 AM]

2014 Hunt-WA Summer BBQ!!! July 26-27!! by Fishstiq
[Today at 10:10:13 AM]

New hunting area by Qaib Thai
[Today at 10:02:59 AM]

Re: Word Association Game by pianoman9701
[Today at 09:56:11 AM]

Re: Chain Reaction Game by pianoman9701