collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar in George  (Read 6309 times)

Offline 509er

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Cougar in George
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »
Here is the article from our paper.  They really seem to be popping up all over the basin lately.  Seems every week there is another sighting.

GEORGE — A 113-pound male cougar was found sleeping on a patio in George.

State Fish and Wildlife Department Enforcement Officer Chris Zuchlewski received a call Monday morning about a cougar sleeping in the back yard of a residence on Road U Southwest, near George. Department personnel Sgt. Doug Ward, officer Graham Grant, and cougar/bear biologist Rich Beausoleil responded to assist.

The cat was still sleeping on the patio when the officers arrived.

Beausoleil was able to get close enough to dart the cat it with a tranquilizer gun. The cougar was outfitted with a radio collar and an ear tag.

The cat had numerous porcupine quills stuck in its face and front paws, which were removed by Zuchlewski while the cat was tranquilized.

The cougar appeared to be a 2-year-old male, weighing 113 pounds. The animal seemed to be healthy despite the quills.

It was later released in an undisclosed location, and will be tracked to ensure it does not become a problem.

Cougar attacks on humans are extremely rare. In North America, roughly 25 fatalities and 95 nonfatal attacks have been reported during the past 100 years. In the last 20 years, more cougar attacks have been reported in the western United States and Canada than in the previous 80 years.

In Washington, of the one fatal and 15 nonfatal attacks were reported in the past 100 years. Seven attacks occurred during the 1990s.

Although Fish and Wildlife consider cougar sightings to be rare, there have been several cougars killed in the Columbia Basin during the past 10 years. Hunters killed two mountains lions within 10 miles of Ephrata one hunting season and enforcement officers killed another on the outskirts of the city the following spring.

Wilson Creek has had its share of cougar sightings and one animal was spotted near the Mattawa school one summer. Another hunter killed a cougar while hunting chukar on the west side of Lake Lenore.

Cougars

Cougars are solitary animals and avoid being seen by humans, however they can adapt to most any landscape.

Two events occurred in Washington State, which caused an increase in the cougar population. First hunting with hounds was outlawed and second the deer population increased significantly.

“Where there is a sizeable amount of deer, there is a chance of having a cougar in the area,” Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Capt. Chris Anderson said.

The cougar is also known by several names, such as mountain lion, puma, catamount and panther.

They are the largest members of the cat family in North America. Adult males average approximately 140 pounds, but in a perfect situation may weigh 180 pounds and measure 7 or 8 feet long from their nose to tip of tail.

Adult males stand about 30 inches tall at the shoulder. Adult female cougars are about 25 percent smaller than males. These animals may vary in color from reddish-brown, tawny or gray and varying combinations of those colors. There is a black tip on their long tail.

Fish and Wildlife estimates the cougar population in Washington is unknown, but in 2002 they were estimating it was roughly 2,500.

After a series of cougar encounters, they have started hound hunting in high cougar density areas, mainly the northeast portion of the state.

Fish and Wildlife lists the following facts about cougars:

Adult male cougars roam widely, covering a home range of 50 to 150 square miles.
Adult male cougars’ home ranges will often overlap those of three or four females.
Female home ranges are about half of males and there is considerable overlap in female home ranges.
Often female young will establish a territory adjacent to mother, while virtually all males disperse considerable distances from the natal area.
Cougars can be vocal and even purr like a house cat.
Cougars are very solitary animals that meet only to mate or, with males, to fight over territory.
Males won’t share their territory willingly.

Advice

When encountering a cougar,  Fish and Wildlife suggests the following actions:

Stop, pick up small children immediately, and don’t run. Running and rapid movements may trigger an attack. Remember, at close range, a cougar’s instinct is to chase.
Face the cougar. Talk to it firmly while slowly backing away. Always leave the animal an escape route.
Try to appear larger than the cougar. Get above it, such as stepping up onto a rock or stump. If wearing a jacket, hold it open to further increase your apparent size. If you are in a group, stand shoulder-to-shoulder to appear intimidating.
Do not take your eyes off the cougar or turn your back. Do not crouch down or try to hide. Never approach the cougar, especially if it is near a kill or one with kittens and never offer it food.
If the cougar does not flee, be more assertive. If it shows signs of aggression, such as crouching with ears back, teeth bared, hissing, tail twitching, and hind feet pumping in preparation to jump, shout, wave your arms and throw anything you have available, water bottle, book, backpack, etc. The idea is to convince the cougar that you are not prey, but a potential danger.
If the cougar attacks, fight back. Be aggressive and try to stay on your feet. Cougars have been driven away by people who have fought back using anything within reach, including sticks, rocks, shovels, backpacks, and clothing, even bare hands. If you are aggressive enough, a cougar will flee, realizing it has made a mistake. Pepper spray in the cougar’s face is also effective.
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Cougar in George
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10:18 AM »
There's way to many cats in this state! :mgun:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Huntboy

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
They estimated 2500 cougars in 1996, there is no way the pop. hasn't grown. :twocents:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Offline coriantonk

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:38:03 AM »
What a cute little kitty cat,  I would love to put my sights on one of those. ;)
There's a reason they call it hunting, not killing.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
I really don't think I would have waited for fish and game to handle that one!!! :rolleyes:
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »
I really don't think I would have waited for fish and game to handle that one!!! :rolleyes:

No kidding.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:42:43 AM »
Also.... " I wondered why I was going thru so much Kibble and Bits lately..."
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:34 AM »
I would have glady put that cat out of its misery.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »
I would have glady put that cat out of its misery.

:yeah:

Offline stout

• Site Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »
In Washington, of the one fatal and 15 nonfatal attacks were reported in the past 100

Interesting that there are so few attacks, I always figured on more, as growing up very close to what is officaially Nash Canyon, but is locally called Cougar Canyon, because a boy walking home one day took a shortcut through the canyon and was attacked and killed by a cougar; a boy my great grandfather knew.  This was in the Chiliwist area.  Maybe it is the one reported, as there was a very big cougar hunt after the case, and maybe it isn't the one reported.

Anyone else know of any other cougar fatal attacks?

-Stout

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 08:48:07 AM »
I met a cougar in George once.  Man she could bite.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »
Two events occurred in Washington State, which caused an increase in the cougar population. First hunting with hounds was outlawed

DUH  :yeah:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 09:05:23 AM »
I worked on the girl in the hospital that was nailed at Sullivan lake at the campground/feeding station.  They had to stop feeding the sheep there because the cats learned to just sit in the feeders and they would come to them.   The cat tried to carry her off by her head.  As far as I know she lived but EXTREMELY altered her life.

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
They're crossing the river more and more and heading into douglas and grant co.  There was a 180+lber killed up behind my house in douglas co a few years back.  The guy seen it dragging a full deer carcass up the hill side.  He went, bought his tag, then returned and found it on its kill still.  Shot it there.  We've had sightings within 500 yds of my house twice last year. :dunno:

Offline 509er

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 02:33:37 PM »

Interesting that there are so few attacks, I always figured on more, as growing up very close to what is officaially Nash Canyon, but is locally called Cougar Canyon, because a boy walking home one day took a shortcut through the canyon and was attacked and killed by a cougar; a boy my great grandfather knew.  This was in the Chiliwist area.  Maybe it is the one reported, as there was a very big cougar hunt after the case, and maybe it isn't the one reported.

I grew up in that area and have been to that marker several times.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:40:18 PM by 509er »
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]