collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Needing some help  (Read 9686 times)

Offline coot man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Needing some help
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »
I've lived here in washington for about 7 years now, and have finally decided to take advantage of the turkey population here in the state.  The only problem is I have no idea how to get started.  From watching shows and hearing conversations that its a lot like elk hunting (scouting, learning to calll, etc...)  I guess my question is without giving hotspots away can anyone tell me good places to go and the best way to locate birds.  Any advice or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks Guys!!!

Online GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
Re: Needing some help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »
coot man,

First... look at the WDFWs site regarding distribution of turkeys
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/water/turkey/turkey3.htm

Find out where generally you want to hunt.
Then, this site will get you information about public access to areas by big game GMU.

http://huntwashingtonstate.com/HWS/Fur%20top%20page.htm

There are a ton of turkeys out there.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
This time of the year if you can put one to bed your way ahead of the game.  Right at dusk, in a high spot, you can hear them going to roost and letting the ladies know where they are.  If you have been scouting and know where they normally fly down and strut first thing in the morning then you are even farther ahead in the game.  If not, no biggy.  If you can't be right there when he flies down, generally, at this time of the year your almost better off waiting till 0800 or later to start.  The gobblers right now are gobbling hard on the roost and a little on the ground, but then mostly spittin & drummin and displaying after that.  Once 0800 and later rolls around and the hens have all been mated and have left the tom, gobblers who answer this time of the morning can be very receptive to your calls.  They are not always the most vocal, but can be fired up pretty good this time of the day.  Pretty much anywhere you can find public land along Lake Roosevelt you'll be into a bunch of birds.  They really are pretty mcuh scattered all over Stevens, Ferry, and Pend Oreille counties now.  When you call, since your new to this, you will make mistakes in calling, don't worry about, just throw another series of yelps or clucks out there.  Don't rush in too fast as alot of new hunteres tend to bump birds that are on their way in.  Good luck and if I can help in any other way drop me a line.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »
There aren't alot of birds around local.  A few if you know where to look and if you are lucky.  Your best bet for a healthy population of birds is to head south to the Klickitat country or go north to the Colville region.  The most birds being the latter.  If you have Okanogan connections, there are a few birds up there.  The best way is to put yourself where there are birds and go from there.

Offline coot man

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »
Thanks guys, for the great advice and help!!  Another question I have for you is calling.  I've purchased a Primos Ol' Betsy slate call and a Primos power crow call.  Are these any good (for a beginner)?  Or would you suggest box calls, reeds?  What is your thoughts?  I'm an avid duck and goose hunter so I know that calling can either make or break a hunt.  And I know I will probably make a bunch of beginner mistakes, but is there a certain type of call to help eliminate some of these mistakes?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 11:06:07 AM »
Just like duck calls...whichever one you are the most comfortable with.  Box calls are probably the most fool proof.  Only thing I don't like about them is your hands are busy when you want to shoot, or the bird is staring you down.  Not a big deal if you have a partner.  I usually use a diaphram, but those take some practice.  I think they give the most authentic sound and are hands free, but you also have the best chance of screwing up.  I've never used a slate call.  Crow calls are fine, or a woodpecker call or owl, or even one of your duck calls.  Any sound that is abnormal, sharp and sudden.  I think thats one advantage of the crow call over a hooter.  Its all going to come down to personal choice.  Give each a try and just like ducks, the more you practice the better you get.  Don't get discouraged right at first.  Birds become call shy, or just beligerant, especially if they are already hooked to a hen.  There will be at ime here pretty soon when many of the hens are bred and won't want anything to do with the toms, so they go to searching and become more willing to sacrifice their pretty little heads.

Offline LOVEMYLABXS

• Retired
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 11:19:46 AM »
  There will be at ime here pretty soon when many of the hens are bred and won't want anything to do with the toms, so they go to searching and become more willing to sacrifice their pretty little heads.[/quote]

As bone says once the hens start setting then those toms get real lonesome and will respond a heck of a lot better.  As with duck/goose hunting you can get real lucky right off the bat but most of the time you just need to put in your time in the woods. Listen when you're in the woods unlike what you see sometimes on TV hens call quietly but it's pretty amzing how far it cares. Just like ducks/geese don't over do right off the bat. Good luck.

Mike
Scratch a dog once and you'll have a job for life and life is good.....  Mike

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:25:28 AM »
I love a good slate call, but I carry several and once you go turkey hunting trust me you'll have several as well.  Everything bone said is right on the money.  One thing with your slate that a lot of beginners do is picking up your stiker at the end of a yelp or cluck, don't  keep the striker on the slate surface all the way through the call.  Best bet is find someone to take you the first time or two.  I usually take someone new every year and they always say they learned more in a day or two of hunting then they had the past two years.  Not that I'm some great turkey hunter, but listneing to the calls and discussing strategy is very helpful in the beginning.  One thing, right about the time you think you hve these guys figured out they make you look silly :)  I started hunting turkeys in Missouri in 1977 and cannot wait for spring to roll around every year.  If you'd like to try and hook up for a hunt, I'd be more than happy to take you out.
Fred Moyer

Offline FrozenWaterfowl

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 09:48:08 AM »
Thanks GocougsHunter. It's my first time out for Turkey as well, the map on the website you posted should be very helpful. Much appreciated.

Offline coot man

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:40:11 PM »
Machias, I will have to check the calander and possibly get in touch with you.  I would love to go with someone who knows a few things about turkey hunting.  Even if we sat out on the front porch and learn some calling techniques that would be awsome.  In all reality though I'm not sure its going to happen this season.  I am scheduled to go on a guided spring bear hunt here in Washington this month and I'm building a garage as well (honey do list).  If I can get some free time maybe I could contact you and see if we could arrange something if that is ok with you.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
No problem at all.  I completly understand about schedules, it's an open invitation, next spring or even for this fall if you want to get after them then.  I don't particularly like the fall as it really is way too easy, unless you limit yourself to mature gobblers, then it can be a real challenge.  Good luck on your bear hunt, I am going to chase a bear or two over in Idaho next month myself.
Fred Moyer

Offline coot man

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »
Where abouts in Idaho do you go?  During my high school days I lived in Utah and we would travel every year to the LoLo pass area with a truck load of bait and hounds.  Beautiful country and very steep.  Good luck to you on your hunt as well.

Why is the turkey hunting easier in the fall?  I would've thought it harder because the turkey's weren't gobblin.  Maybe that would be best for me to try being the green horn that I am with turkey hunting.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »
it's a totally different kind of hunting. spot and stalk or scatter the flock and wait for them to gather back up.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 09:45:42 PM »
I hunt the Clearwater area for bear.

Fall hunting: locate flock, run at flock and scatter, sit down, wait 10-15 min, give assembly yelp and/or KeeKee Run calls, kill bird.  It really is that easy.  They have such a strong urge to flock, that once they are scattered (finding the flocks and scattering them is the hardest part of the fall season) they can't wait to regroup.  The bust is critical, if they all fly off together then they'll just regroup where they land.

NOW if you make your self only kill MATURE gobblers then the fall hunt can be about as challenging as a good whitetail buck hunt.  The generally travel in very small groups, call extremely sparringly and come in to the regroup with eyes and ears on full alert.  Might give a cluck or two and wait for a response.  You muct have patience and the ability to set stone still.
Fred Moyer

Offline coot man

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »
Well I just got back from my bear hunt over on the coast.  It was a blast!!!  The first night of the hunt my boss shot a pig.  The guide guessed him to be a 6 ft plus bear weighing in at over three hundred lbs. 

The second morning I stalked into a brute and put the hammer down as the bear was doing cartwheels in the grass I cranked in another shell and before I could put the second bullet into him my guide stopped me and said that bear is dead.  As we watched him struggle to stay alive he regained his composure and ran into the heavy cover.  When we made it to where he had been hit.  We found blood all over the place it looked like somebody had strapped a paintbrush to him, but the farther we tracked him the more blood we found, I wouldn't beleive an animal could lose so much blood and not tip over.  The guide apologized for stopping me from shooting and after a long tracking job he gave me a second chance at another bear which I put the smack down on the next day. We were set up at noon on the bait site and by twelve thirty I was staring down at the bear I had shot.  Was a real fun trip.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal