collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Time for Delisting in Washinton!  (Read 18299 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Time for Delisting in Washinton!
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
 I hate to make you read all this again, but give it a whirl, n then tell me what you think.

Check dates on each article, as you go down the paper trail you might see things that don't quite add up.

Washington's Wolves Are Back
Posted by Eric de Place
07/19/2008 08:00 AM

Wolf-less no longer as Washington's wildlife returns.
A state biologist said Monday that he believes one or more packs of gray wolves are living in the Methow Valley...

Packers have made numerous reports of wolves in the high country in the past couple of years, and there have been increasing reports by residents in lower elevations, he said.

Fitkin said there have been reliable wolf sightings in the Methow dating to the early 1990s, but only sporadic, unconfirmed reports of wolf packs.

"What's changed recently is that we've had repeated observations of multiple animals in the greater Twisp River/Chelan Sawtooth and Libby Creek areas," he said, adding, "My suspicion is, based on the sighting history, its development is very similar to how recolonization in the Rockies occurred. This is looking like we very well may have some wolves on the landscape."--------- (via"White shwans wolf delivery trucks")

http://daily.sightline.org/daily_score/ … s-are-back

Friday, November 1, 2002 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print view

Conservation groups want U.S. to restore gray wolves in state
By Matthew Daly

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Two conservation groups are calling on the federal government to restore gray wolves to Washington state, saying it's time to "hear the call of the wild again" in Western Washington forests.

Defenders of Wildlife and the Northwest Ecosystem Alliance said yesterday they have sent a petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, requesting that the agency restore and protect gray wolves under the Endangered Species Act.

"Gray wolves have an important role to play in the ecological health and character of the Pacific Northwest, and the federal government should start getting serious about restoring the species here," said Rodger Schlickeisen, president of Defenders of Wildlife. "It's time to hear the call of the wild again in these beautiful forests."

The petition urges the service to establish a category known as a distinct population segment for gray wolves in Washington state.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. … ywolves01m

Wednesday, February 5, 1992 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Endangered Gray Wolf Trapped Near Mt. Baker
By Eric Pryne

For the first time in anyone's memory, wildlife biologists have captured an endangered gray wolf in Washington.

State Wildlife Department biologists said they trapped the animal, a healthy 56-pound female, near Mount Baker last Friday. The wolf was fitted with a radio collar and released the next day on national forest land a few miles away.

The capture is an exciting development, said John Pierce, manager of the department's non-game program. "If she's part of a pack, we should know it pretty soon," he said.

The gray wolf, listed as endangered in every state but Minnesota and Alaska, disappeared from Washington in the early 1900s. But reports of wolf sightings in the wild North Cascades have increased in recent years. In 1990 biologists discovered two dens - the first time wolves had been sighted in the state since 1975.

Pierce said the animals probably are migrating south from Canada, where wolves still are hunted.

"It appears we're in the early stages of re-colonization of the former range in Washington," he said. There's evidence the animals are breeding as far south as the Glacier Peak Wilderness Area just north of Stevens Pass, Pierce added.

According to a Wildlife Department statement, the captured wolf, nicknamed "Nooksack," had been seen several times in recent weeks near a winter-cabin community outside Glacier, Whatcom County. After trying for 10 days, biologists Jon Almack and Scott Fitkin succeeded in luring the animal into a fenced swimming-pool area, using a fish carcass as bait.

Once she was inside, the gate was closed. The wolf was tranquilized, and a local veterinarian took X-rays of her skull to verify her species.

Pierce said Almack and Fitkin are participating in a long-range study of the gray wolf's relationship with its environment in Washington, including diet, movement and range.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. … ug=1473981

Copyright (c) 1992 Seattle Times Company, All Rights Reserved.

Sunday, December 6, 1992 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Wolves Coming Back To Cascades
By Patty Wren

Wenatchee World

TWISP, Okanogan County - We may not be dancing with wolves, but they're here, their numbers are growing and it is possible to coexist with them in relative peace.

In the Okanogan, one or more wolves have been spotted in five separate areas since 1989.

The plan is to let the wolves - moving into old haunts south of Canada after hunting stopped there in the 1970s - reproduce themselves, said Jon Almak, a state Department of Wildlife biologist.

Biologists are trying to write a wolf-recovery plan for Washington.

Originally planned as part of a recovery program for the northern Rockies, where wolves were brought in, the effort could become unique to Washington because of the apparently burgeoning population.

For example, 100 sightings were reported in 1981, and last year there were 200, ranging as far south as Mount St. Helens, Almak said.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. … ug=1528536

Friday, April 17, 1992 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Gray Wolves' Return Subject Of Monday Meeting
Times Staff

State wildlife agents already have identified six packs of wolves in Washington's Cascades, and more are expected to migrate from Canada to the state's protected forests.

|

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
wolfbait-the white schwann's wolf trucks are still rumors. the wolves were relocated to montana and idaho to speed up the delisting process as clearly defined in the EIS study that i'm sure you've read. i  just posted a piece of it from 1997...
here's another piece that defines that :
The Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf Recovery Plan, approved in 1987, stipulated that each of the three recovery areas must maintain a minimum of 10 breeding pairs for three consecutive years in order for FWS to consider delisting wolves in this region. This would provide for a population of approximately 300 wolves. The plan recommended natural recovery (i.e., immigration from Canada) for Idaho and Montana, and reintroduction into Yellowstone using the experimental-population authority of § 10(j) of the ESA. (See section below on "experimental populations".) If two wolf packs did not become established in central Idaho within five years, then reintroduction could be considered for this area.
from here if you haven't read thwe whole thing...it's a good read.
http://ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/Biodiversity/biodv-13.cfm?&CFID=6622718&CFTOKEN

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »
I think its very unlikely that packs of wolves would just appear in twisp if they were not planted.

They were planted in the methow because a large % of the population is *censored* for brains and loves the idea of magical dogs howling all night.

There are alot of sh-t fur brains that don't live here full time, they have their multimillion dollar houses parked on the ridge tops. I talk to a freind of mine who is a general contractor for building houses, and he thought that this year was going to be his best year ever, but come to find out, it might be his werst year ever becuz people are not wanting to live next to these wolves. He said that one of persons he had planed on building for had spent $40.000 just on the house plans. As of now he isn't working, and he has never not been working. I would imagine as time goes on more people will be head to somewhere wolfless.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
wolfbait-the white schwann's wolf trucks are still rumors. the wolves were relocated to montana and idaho to speed up the delisting process as clearly defined in the EIS study that i'm sure you've read. i  just posted a piece of it from 1997...
here's another piece that defines that :
The Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf Recovery Plan, approved in 1987, stipulated that each of the three recovery areas must maintain a minimum of 10 breeding pairs for three consecutive years in order for FWS to consider delisting wolves in this region. This would provide for a population of approximately 300 wolves. The plan recommended natural recovery (i.e., immigration from Canada) for Idaho and Montana, and reintroduction into Yellowstone using the experimental-population authority of § 10(j) of the ESA. (See section below on "experimental populations".) If two wolf packs did not become established in central Idaho within five years, then reintroduction could be considered for this area.
from here if you haven't read thwe whole thing...it's a good read.
http://ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/Biodiversity/biodv-13.cfm?&CFID=6622718&CFTOKEN

Yep, I read that quite some time ago, and understand what it says. But don't you think that is sort of past history, since they have not lived up to anything that they have said so far? Where are today?

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
They set a limmit on how many wolves that would be needed to establish wolves, they underestamated the number of wolves that studies showed were needed. They did that so that when the limit was reached they could sue and say it was not enough. In otherwerds they lied from the start. They got their foot in the door and they have not been honest from the start. As far as the white shwan wolf delivery trucks go, it isn't goin to be a rumor much longer.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
I talk to a freind of mine who is a general contractor for building houses, and he thought that this year was going to be his best year ever, but come to find out, it might be his werst year ever becuz people are not wanting to live next to these wolves. He said that one of persons he had planed on building for had spent $40.000 just on the house plans. As of now he isn't working, and he has never not been working. I would imagine as time goes on more people will be head to somewhere wolfless.

thats wierd. the rest of the entire country is in an economic depression, the housing market is non-existent, contractors and construction workers are out of work everywhere nation-wide...but in the methow it's because of the wolves?  is he sure it's not because of the economy?
come on now, wolfbait...let's try and maintain some degree of realism here.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »
Yep, I read that quite some time ago, and understand what it says. But don't you think that is sort of past history, since they have not lived up to anything that they have said so far? Where are today?

well i think we're delisted in montana and idaho and chomping at the bit for some wolf tags.....

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
I sent ya a PM WB 8)
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »

well i think we're delisted in montana and idaho and chomping at the bit for some wolf tags.....

I hope you are right, but from past history I don't see it happening, If you do get a tag I know where there is a spare culvert, takes 3 guys to operate, third guy you don't have to like a whole bunch. I could tell you how it works but my realism is shorting out abit. :chuckle: When we goin huntin? :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »
sadly, i didn't draw my tag.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »
if there's 100-120 wolves (in 1997) in NW montana that got there on their own from canada, why is everyone so convinced that a dozen or so wolves didn't make it to the methow on their own? or anywhere else in that region???

We already had wolves coming in the 1980's, not saying some didn't trot over from Idaho or Montana. But I really don't think after all these years then Ker-blam we have the amount of wolves in the valley that we do now. I don't know half as much that I want to about our wolf situation, we are all still learnin. The thing that stikes me a little bit funny is, the wolves we had around the valley, we hardly ever saw, and they were skitish, these wolves are different that way.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »
sadly, i didn't draw my tag.

Culvert idea is still open, live one might be more fun than a dead one, think of the pictures we , you could post. I volunteer to set in tree to take pictures and supervise progress.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »
that'd be great. i'll man the pipe, you sit in the tree. maybe we could do a drive and push some out and wrangle them into the pipe.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »
that'd be great. i'll man the pipe, you sit in the tree. maybe we could do a drive and push some out and wrangle them into the pipe.

Well from what I hear they like the canned fish the best. We will be needin someone who likes wolves to dive into the other end of the pipe sorta like a plug, and while he's in there he can calm the wolves abit, that way you can get a rope on one of them. In the mean time I can be sitin in the tree hollarin encouragement and taking pictures. The culvert has a ten dollar rental fee on it, you load n haul. :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 05:25:43 PM »
the only one i know big enough to plug up that pipe is boneaddict.
 :chuckle: he can get them calmed right down.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal