collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cowiche help  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Fullabull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Cowiche help
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
Hello,

I have never hunted this unit and have no idea where I would or should go but I'm figuring with this snow we now have it might be worth a try for a couple days. I'm looking to take a cow as we could use the meat this year.

Does anyone know a good jump off point in this unit?
What should I expect for terrain (what kind of country is it, open, heavy timber)?
Should I hunt lower elevations?

Any help would be great !

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Slenk

Re: Cowiche help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:54:29 PM »
Hello,

I have never hunted this unit and have no idea where I would or should go but I'm figuring with this snow we now have it might be worth a try for a couple days. I'm looking to take a cow as we could use the meat this year.

Does anyone know a good jump off point in this unit?
What should I expect for terrain (what kind of country is it, open, heavy timber)?
Should I hunt lower elevations?

Any help would be great !

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Fred
Where are you comming from ? Coast? I haven't hunted that area for quite some time . We used to go up Cowiche Mill Creek or Frenches Canyon out of Tieton . You Can also go up Jump Off Joe Look Out road . That one might be a little deep with snow right now though . I heard there was 8 " new snow at Rimrock .
Another way in would be out Autanium Rd West of Union Gap to tampico take the right fork at Tamico Store .
Good luck to you . Oh Ya carry Chains for all 4 wheels .
Slenk

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »
Try around the Oak Creek Wildlife Area (old feed station), Weddle Canyon and McDaniel.

Offline tabynn

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:32:05 PM »
Havent hunted that side since it went spike only, but it was a great area. Find Tampico on the map(just west of Yakima). Take a right and drive until the pavement ends. This time of year there will be a good chance that you cant/wont want to drive too high up the roads. Been stuck up there and not alot of fun trying to get out. It can be very steep and thick timbered but also open with alot of visibilty. If possible, drive out to Darlin(sp) Mt Rd. Supposedly its the highest Rd in the state at about 7000 feet and you can look to the west, great view. Not that you are up there for the view!!! Good luck!!! Let us know how it works out for you.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:17:18 AM »
What weapon are you using, archery i take it. I took my dad up there last year deer hunting during a snow storm like were having now, we didnt see any deer but saw alot of elk. We went into the tampico and went left (south fork) and drove in a few miles and headed up the hill on the right side. there was alot of elk in there. I deer hunt quit a bit in there also.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:53:08 AM »
I have a friend staying in their cabin right now up the No. fork Ahtanum and there is about 6" of snow 10 miles past Tampico so there will be much more the higher up you go ... chains for all 4's!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the hints and directions. I went up the south fork out of Tampico last Thursday-Friday and had a great time. Thursday was snowing all day, I met a young fella who was hunting elk for his first year. He showed me a couple spots he had seen elk before but we didn't see anything (not even any tracks).

Friday I was by myself and hiked in a little further and higher. It didn't snow all day and I ended up seeing around 70 elk or so. Had them talking all around me just before last light and had a big cow come out about 70 yards from me but couldn't get any closer. I even had a cow bugle at me because I would not come out for her to see me. Didn't get any meat but had a great time!!!

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it.

Regards,
Fred

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]