Author Topic: ?????  (Read 26723 times)

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
Re: LongTat did what????????????
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »
Kain - Baiting deer is currently legal, but if guys are using it as a ruse to bait bears then you can bet it will be outlawed.

If you are legally baiting deer in an area where there are no bear, how could you possibly attract bear?

I am just throwing this out there for discussion.  My question is a hypothetical based on the topic we are discussing.  I am not trying to find a way around the law prohibiting baiting for bears.  I am trying to point out that the law preventing you from baiting a trail cam is the same they could use to prevent you from baiting anything that might attract a bear.  Thus making all baiting illegal in any area where there are bears.

If you are legally hunting deer over bait, and there are bears in the area, doesn't the possibility of attracting a bear make it illegal?  We all know (or should know) that shooting a bear over bait is illegal even if it was meant for something else.

You cant bait a trail cam for deer because it might attract a bear.
You cant bait for deer because it might attract a bear.

Technically there is no more chance of attracting a bear to either one.  Either one can be said to be for deer.  One is illegal and one is not?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:16:19 PM by Kain »

Offline stumprat

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
All I can tell you is. Unfortunately in this state. It is up to the man with the ticket book. Then you have to prove your innocence.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »
I understand what you are saying and I think it is one of the variables that could get people in trouble.

Legally it is ok to bait deer. You are saying a deer bait "might" attract a bear. If no bear are attracted then you are ok. If it attracts a bear then you should probably move on.

If it were me...
For a deer cam I would stick with deer type baits...not donuts, filling, or meat.
For a bob/coug cam I would use meat or bones... not donuts, filling, etc.

If a bear came into one of the above more then a couple times then I would switch baits or pull the cams.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
Good advice.  I am just afraid that this is the kind of thing that can be used in the wrong way by both hunters and enforcement.  I dont like grey areas in laws.  I do not feel the law was intended to prevent you from baiting trail cameras but that is how they are using it.  I can also see where the abuse can come in on the hunter side. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:32:18 PM by Kain »

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »
Runamuk, I think the F&G officers expect hunters to bring some type of food with them.Either a couple snacks or a lunch.  I think if you are carrying 10lbs of steak, jelly donuts, Jam's, orJellies out in your pack they may question you.  If you are carrying a couple power bars, a sandwich, jerky, freeze dried meal, small can of fruit, apple, orange, etc, etc I don't think they would mess with you. 

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »
I never saw deer ever on any of my old bear bait stations, ever...????  I guess deer don't like jello and marshmellows cook to a stinky mess with vanilla extract and molasses added and lots of dripping honey...  Kind of thinking about it, I never saw a deer eating any of the 500lbs of dog food and grease  mix either....      :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline coldsteel3d

• Scout
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »
Well............ I guess the moral of the story is don't post trail cam pics of bears with bait in the pic, and if you shoot a bear, forget where you shot it?  :dunno: Or show them the deepest, nastiest canyon in the area  :chuckle: Or don't shoot a bear where your trail cam is, and protect yourself.  :con:

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:45 AM »
Good job on passing the little one, hopefully you will be rewarded with another oppertunity at a larger bear. On the other hand WDFW would probably consider you hunting near a bee's nest bait!!!!!! :chuckle: Just kidding, I had to throw that out.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2009, 05:42:41 AM »
I am so glad my trailcam is defective.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2009, 06:03:52 AM »
ITs interesting that you bring up steelhead LTL because sometimes things one here sound or smell oftly fishy.   :)

catwithboost

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2009, 06:17:26 AM »
No I am tired of your guys *censored*! I am done with this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not hunting over bait and I do not have my cam in the woods for a week. You all need to get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2009, 06:23:54 AM »
Worried a little, or just paranoid
I would say a little edgy for sure since I didn't even know there were pics on this thread since I can't see them at work, or any posted have been removed. LOL   I was just making a general statement and teasing LTL a little.  He did the right thing by not shooting a suckling so I can't tease him about that this year.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:27 AM »
Everyone chill out. Brian is a stand up guy.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »
I guess I better go check the recycle bin and see what I am missing.  If I chilled anymore I wouldn't have a pulse.  In fact I need some coffee.  I'm thinking I am missing some content since I didn't know this was even about Cat. 
I do think someone should read backwoods 655 though and he may want to think about his peanut butter cams on here.  :chuckle:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2009, 06:32:37 AM »
bone, wasn't meaning you, I was referring to the jacked portion of the thread which was inferring unscrupulous activity...
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal