collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A New Take on a Monopod/Bipod- and today's coyote hunt for field testing  (Read 2782 times)

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
(I have a need to build stuff. Let me just get that out of the way.   :) )

I have not been flexible enough behind my bipod, so there have been times when a coyote's coming in that I have had to reposition it. At least once, that movement caused me to get busted and lose a 'yote.  Maybe its happened to you.

It is awkward, at times, to pick up both legs and support the rifle... Just too much movement.

A better solution is to use a monopod, perhaps, because it is a simple lift and reposition.  That certainly is workable, for some, but I wanted more.

I wanted the stability of a bipod, and the ease of placement (and re-placement) of a monopod.  So I came up with this hybrid.  I haven't seen anything like it on the market, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Here it is:

It looks like a 2-tine  pitchfork.  I like having the metal point to project into the dirt.  It makes the platform rather stable. I often hunt over soft dirt, and it is secure enough that I can leave the rifle resting on its perch without necessarily holding the stick to stabilize it.

I made the perch adjustable height.  I pull back a "trigger" on the left side to disengage the lock mechanism.  I normally rest the rifle off the right side. (I am a rightie.)

In the picture is the "bipod" and my seat. It is two Ikea step-stools ($3.95) back to back, with a foam pad on the working end.

I field tested it today, and it did well.  I had one stand where I had the luxury of standing in the shade of an old tool shack (or some such). It was just tall enough to serve me as I stood.

As for the hunt, I had coyotes in my sights three times, but didn't lay one down.   :(

As I snuck up to my favorite sniping point, I caught sight of a critter on an opposing hillside, but with the rise of my own hill between us. (My powers of observation improve.) I was literally looking at him through the grass, afraid to expose much more of myself, as he was sitting, looking my way.  The grass I was looking through was real short, so there was every probability that my bullet would have struck the ground before it crested the hill (because of scope height).  I had the M2D boonie hat (and jacket) on, so I presented pretty well as "grass" (or so I think).

I crept a yard or two forward and set up over my new mono/bipod.  He was out there about 100yds just sitting, looking my way.  But I had the disease.  My adrenaline was still pumping so I preferred to wait for a surer shot.  Of course, he got up and moved away, still in view.  I whistled to stop him, and he obliged, but too briefly.  I couldn't get the shot off before descended out of my view.

So, I know he is close in the area. Gotta be quiet. As I crawl under a hot wire fence, my e-caller remote fell not more than 8" to the dirt. That was enough noise.  I looked up to see my 'yote booking out of town.

So I set up to call.  After a five minutes I spotted a pup on a hillside 220 yds away.  I drew a bead on the little guy, but he was such a small target that I wasn't confident of the shot.  I waited for the adrenaline to pass (I have a problem with that), and he walked back into the brush nonchalantly. That's two...

I continue calling another 15 minutes or so and two pups emerge, about 200 yards out. They weren't interested in the sounds my e-caller was making. I took my best shot, and missed cleanly. They look small out there... Still, it would help if I were a better shot. Maybe had I a prone set up, I would have been steady enough to make the clean shot. He might'a moved as I shot.

I explored some new areas, but saw no other dogs after about 8am. So much for these being the "dog days of summer".

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:25:33 PM by ivarhusa »
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
bipod looks interesting, whats the weight?
To bad you weren't able to close the deal on the yote. Atleast you had an opportunity  ;)
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
The new mono/bipod weighs a whopping 3 pounds!  That is heavier than it need be.  My other bipod weighs in at half that (24 oz). That would be good goal to "shoot" for.  I guess I got some thinnin' to do, Baba Louie.

Ivar
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
I think you need to change your name to "Tinker".  Good luck on the build, and thanks for sharing your idea.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]