collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grouse in Whatcom county  (Read 8096 times)

Offline Bighorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Grouse in Whatcom county
« on: December 11, 2007, 11:14:19 AM »
If someone is willing.........Please point me in the direction of a good Grouse area for this time of year, Dec. in Whatcom county.   

Its getting late in the year and I'd like to avoid driving over the pass for pheasant anymore.

Thanks

Offline hunterbuilder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Re: Grouse in Whatcom county
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
I usually had good success in South Whatcom/North Skagit County for grouse when I lived there. I hunted Blanchard mountain a lot and got into quite a few there. Also hunted Alger Mt. some with some success. I don't know about access anymore with a lot of roads gated before you can get close to the good grouse areas on Blanchard. Good luck.

Offline Bighorse

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:22:56 AM »
Blanchard Mt. is so very close to a bunch of popular hiking trails and Larabee St. Park.  With all the "special" folks running around there do you think I would have any problems hunting.

I like the idea of getting in there.  Its a beautiful stretch of woods.  I'm just not sure about access and hunting.  How long has it been since you hunted it?

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:59:26 AM »
Get a map of the Mt. Baker / Snoqualmie National Forest; several good areas off the Mt. Baker Hwy. and down in Skagit County near Mt. Baker.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:33:34 AM »
I agree with T Bone above. Good luck   ;)

Offline Bighorse

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »
Thanks guys.....

I tried off of Mosquito Lake road once and ran into a few but I wasn't successful.  Fast little buggers in the trees.  My dogs sure had a good time. 

I've been up above Baker Lake but not after grouse.  How do you think that area would hunt?  There is plenty of mixed and recently harvested areas in there that seem to hold grouse.  Thats in the suggested area.  It sure is beautiful there too.

Has anyone hunted above and around Glacier for em?

Offline hunterbuilder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »
Yeah, I have stayed away from all the popular trails when I was hunting it. I believe I last hunted that area in 05-06 ( I just moved to E. Wenatchee this year.). I hunted mostly the northeast side of the area. This puts you just south of Lake Samish. I know there is a gate just past the upper parking lot for the Lilly & Lizard lake trails. That is the way I use to access that area. It would be a long walk from there. I think there are a few ways to access that area around the south end of Lake Samish.
I grew up hunting up there a lot for deer and grouse. It has changed quite a bit with less logging(which meant less deer) and more people.

Offline Bighorse

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »
Thank your very much.  That kind of information is exactly what I was looking for.  You make this site worth visiting. :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal