collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Decided on these boots....they are in the mail.  (Read 15739 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Decided on these boots....they are in the mail.
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »
I can't open the link, probably because of my firewall at work... Did you get Danners?

Offline backwoods_boy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »
Yup got the, Danner® Blade GTX 8-1/2'' Insulated Hunting Boots

Offline RUTNBULL1

• Elkcoholic!
  • Scout
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »
The Kenetreks are great boots and will last a lot longer than the danners.  I can get you a better deal than $355.  Let me know if you're interested.  Thx lint5564@yahoo.com
I love my Kenetrek Mountain boots, took a little break in time but are in a league of their own, far better than any Danner that I have owned and worth the price. :twocents:

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »
I've been using Danners the last several years.  At some point I punched a leak in the goretex booty, so I've been shopping for new boots.  My $0.02 is that the right boot really depends on your primary use.   If you're going to use a heavy pack, or do miles on very steep or rocky terrain, a stiffer boot is better (e.g. Lowa, Meindl, Kenetrek).  But if you mainly do day hunts in the 5-10 mile range (or less), a more flexible boot (e.g. Danner) will allow you to walk more quietly through the woods.  I spent last week hunting with a guy wearing Meindl's (I think the Perfekt).  He was happy with the comfort and waterproofness (is that a word?), but he was really loud trying close the gap on bugling bulls.  We were in heavy cover so it's inevitable that you're going to step on twigs.  The question is whether you can feel the twig under your boot and flex off of it, or whether you just snap it in two.  I suppose you could stare at your feet all day and better choose your steps, but that's not a good option.  All in all, I'm now thinking I need two pairs - one for normal hunting conditions (and archery hunting), and one stiffer pair for longer treks, steeper terrain (ankle support), or when noise isn't such a factor (rifle hunting, open terrain, etc.).   

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
That's about right, WAcoushunter.  I like Lowa's for the more flexible pair.  I also bought a pair of the Cabela's uninsulated Silent Stalk boots, which I'm normally AGAINST doing (I like my nice boots) and put a pair of Superfeet in them.  They're actually pretty comfortable, although I keep them for shorter hunts (before or after work or when I'm not walking too far, which is pretty rare).  I use my Meindls for everything else, though.  If you're careful, you can get through the woods alright.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2009, 11:31:53 PM »
wow .....those Kenetrek Mountain boots weigh well over a pound  more then my danners, that is alot. You might as well strap 2 4hp evenrude trolling motor to your feet.........I can't hike all day in the late hunt ,with a heavy boot like that.Not to mention nearly $400 price tag

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]