collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gunsmiths in Washington  (Read 23415 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Gunsmiths in Washington
« on: April 24, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 that I just acquired a year or so ago. So far I've only tried factory ammo in it, Winchester 180 grain Power Points, and accuracy was acceptable but not as good as I would like. It puts 5 shots into 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. The problem is, it's not consistent. It will put two shots right next to each other, almost touching, then another two shots almost touching but 1 1/2 to 2 inches away from the first two. I think before I even attempt to work up an accurate handload for it I would like to have it glass bedded. Also the trigger could use some work.

Problem is there seems to be a real lack of gunsmiths around here. So does anybody know a good gunsmith who does that type of work? Anywhere in Washington would be fine, or even down around Portland since that's only an hour and a half from me. I know of a few in other states that have very good reputations, but I'd like to avoid having to ship it.

I'd sure appreciate any recommendations.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Gunsmiths in Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
There seems to be an acute lack of them in the neighborhood.  I believe glass bedding is very important, though I'm not sure if thats what caused your problem. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
Bobcat...i'm gonna contact my stepdad and get the name of his guy. he shoots competitive sporting clays and has a few names.
i'll pass on the info once i get it. he's on vacation for the week right now, so it might be a bit.
i'll pm the info to you.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »
I don't have the number, but Dave from Harbor Guns is still doing work out of his house. He is out near Johns River.
I think Morrow still does some work as well. He is in Lacey.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:23:23 PM »
There seems to be an acute lack of them in the neighborhood.  I believe glass bedding is very important, though I'm not sure if thats what caused your problem. 

Yeah I don't know if bedding will help or not, but it can't hurt. The stock is a Bell & Carlson synthetic which I bought to replace the cheap plastic stock it came with. It has a raised area in the barrel channel at the end that puts pressure on the barrel, and I'm not sure that helps either. I think the best and most consistent accuracy is attained with a free floating barrel. I know my Browning A Bolt came free floated from the factory and it will put 5 shots just about in the same hole almost every time at 100 yards.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:25:02 PM »
Bobcat...i'm gonna contact my stepdad and get the name of his guy. he shoots competitive sporting clays and has a few names.
i'll pass on the info once i get it. he's on vacation for the week right now, so it might be a bit.
i'll pm the info to you.

Jackelope, thanks for checking. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:31:14 PM by bobcat »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
I don't have the number, but Dave from Harbor Guns is still doing work out of his house. He is out near Johns River.
I think Morrow still does some work as well. He is in Lacey.

Thanks. Is Morrow the one in Tanglewilde? If so, I was wondering about him...he mounted a scope for me about 10 years ago, and it seemed like even then he was getting way up there in years. Maybe I'll call him and see if he does glass bedding and trigger work. That other one out by Johns River might be alright too, as I believe I'm going to be going on a scouting trip real soon out that way. I think the hard part is finding one who is willing to do the work, and is able to do it in less than a year's time.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
I know my Browning A Bolt came free floated from the factory and it will put 5 shots just about in the same hole almost every time at 100 yards.

I get the same results with mine... ;)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline brush hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »
Brightwater Ventures ( 360 ) 256-6700 Here in Vancouver I don't know if he does glass beading, but I have had work done by him and he does great work. He won't charge an arm and a leg either. his name is Mike
That's my one shot.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:02:32 PM »
Morrow is still around but I'm not sure how much he does anymore. He was old 20 years ago when I was a kid getting run out of his shop for leaving fingerprints on guns I didn't have money for anyway.  :chuckle:
 Dave from Harbor Guns is a good one. Also in Bonney Lake there is a guy named Brett Evans, he specializes in custom bolt guns. I have been really happy with his work.

Offline Guy

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
There are some seriously good rifle builders here in Washington State!

Two that I can highly recommend are Jim Cloward in Machias, near Lake Stevens, and Rick Freudenberg in Everett. Both build superb match and hunting rifles. Jim is the current US Palma team armorer. Our Palma team competes with iron sight .308's at 800, 900 and 1000 yards from prone, with a sling.... Very demanding shooting sport, and he builds the rifles for them... Years ago he also set the U.S. 1000 yard record at Camp Perry, with his own rifle of course. He also has done extensive hunting both here and in Africa. The guy knows his rifles. He does not have a web site, but I have his phone number if you'd like. I've got two of his rifles, and they are scary accurate.

Rick Freudenberg builds some outstanding match rifles, and is also a dedicated, die-hard hunter. He bedded a rifle for me a couple of years ago, and it shoot beautiful tight little groups. I hope to send more work his way. http://www.freudscustomrifles.com

Neither one of these guys work cheap. They are top notch, nationally known and highly respected custom rifle builders. They will also do little jobs, like bedding and free-floating your hunting rifle. Rick may offer to develop extremely accurate handloads for your rifle. You might consider taking him up on that... He knows his stuff.

I'll see about posting a photo or two of the rifles these two have worked on for me. They're both very accurate, and stone reliable.

Regards, Guy

Offline Guy

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

A trued Rem 700 in .308 Win, Krieger 1:12 stainless barrel, Badger base and rings, factory trigger nicely tuned to 3 pounds, very firmly bedded into a McMillan M40A1-3 stock. This thing has shot 2.5" groups at 600 yards, from the bipod. I've used it in 600 yard matches, and also as a precision hunting rifle. The consistency is amazing, no matter if I'm shooting in 100 degree heat or in cold down near zero. Jim Cloward did the barrel & action work. Rick Freudenberg steel/glass bedded it into the McMillan stock.

Jim built this Win 70 for Palma Team coach Gary Rasmussen a long time ago. I bought it used from Gary and use it to shoot highpower matches, both across-the-course and prone. It is an amazingly accurate rifle that shoots far better than my skills allow. At this point it's wearing a 30" Krieger with a tight bore and a 1:13 twist. Pictured here with sights, I often shoot it with a 12x Leupold. Cloward built the walnut stock and pillar bedded the action. He trued the action and added a Medesha two-stage trigger. It's a winner! Now and again on a whim I take it for rockchucks... My normal handload is a 155 grain Nosler at nearly 3000 fps, that 30" barrel helps!

Regards, Guy

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »
Wow guys, thanks for all the names! I never expected this much feedback. Now I've got some homework to do. I'll be sure and post some pictures of targets and tiny groups after I get the work done.

Offline brush hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 05:15:52 AM »
Let us know who you went to and how they did, good gunsmiths are getting harder and harder to find. But there are still a lot of good ones here in Wash.
That's my one shot.

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »
Bob, you should still try tuning handloads.  Unlike you, my A-bolt 7mm-08 has been finicky from the day i bought it new.  I have had to tune loads to connect the holes since most groups are 1 1/2"-2".  That's one of the main reasons to handload.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »
I will work up some loads for it eventually, but right now I can't even get to my reloader! When I get my new shop built, and get it moved out there it will be a lot easier. I'm planning on trying some 168 grain Barnes bullets. But to start out I'll probably use Hornady's, either 165's or 180's. They're cheap and I've got plenty of both.I thought I might as well have a gunsmith work the trigger over, glass bed it, and maybe free float the barrel before I burn up a whole ton of powder and bullets trying to get an accurate load. I'm not so much worried about the money as I am the time! Right now time is my limiting factor...

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »
I am a firm believer in a soft, smooth, crisp trigger. I have all of my rifle triggers smith'd if they don't already come with a fully adjustable trigger with no creep. Aside from the rifle's capabilities, that is one of the biggest contributing factors of accuracy for me. Once you shoot a customized trigger, there's no going back to the stock standard ones. Free floating the barrel is an absolute must. I'm not sure that tight groups are even achievable with the stock touching the barrel.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal