collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Bug proof" clothing - resistant to hornets???  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Clumber

• Comedy Clumber Spaniels HUNT!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
"Bug proof" clothing - resistant to hornets???
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:39:55 AM »
Apparently it is becoming unanimous that the hornets this year are particularly aggressive and there are a lot more of them than in previous years.  Tonight I was stung by one in the gravel area of our neighborhood's turn-around, where - and I cannot overemphasize this - there is nothing that should attract hornets for 20 yards all around.  We were showing off the singleton puppy who just hit 8 1/2 weeks old to a neighbor, when we were confronted by 3-4 increasingly aggressive hornets.  I hate admitting this since it is NOT how I see myself, but I have in the past couple years apparently developed an allergy to being stung by hornets or wasps or even the generally docile honeybee.  My Dr.'s first response was, "You will have to start seriously limiting your time outdoors."  Um.... No.   Not at all.  If anything, I have been trying to INCREASE my time outdoors!  Her 2nd options was... sigh... I have to have an epi-pen handy at all times.  The sting today (damn thing somehow got into my clothes and stung me once I was inside my house!  b@sterd...) was apparently in a chubby enough portion of me (belly) that the venom didn't get into my bloodstream much, so I was lucky though it still hurts like a [expletive of your choice].

I do not relish stabbing myself with spring-loaded concentrated epinephrine out in the woods, but doubt that I can really count on 'see and avoid' this year.  So my question is, the clothing advertised as "bug proof" mainly for chiggers & ticks etc... think it would resist a stinger??  I very well might swing over to Cabelas tomorrow if it sounds plausible to anyone other than just me.

If not - anyone have any other suggestions aside from "stay inside" ; "be prepared to stab yourself" ; or "don't piss them off" ??  I would think that deet or any other type of repellent would tip off any deer for a few square miles, same with hanging Bounce sheets off my gear I would guess.  Does the Thermocell repel stinging critters?

Thanks much in advance.  I'd be feeling terribly sorry for myself except I found out that my dad, over in Boulder, Colorado was also hornet stung today... IN THE TONGUE!  :yike: He's been allergic to bees, etc. for longer than my life, but he is ok now other than a numb tongue and a sudden fear of cheeseburgers.  LOL .  Apparently he and a hornet were trying for the same bite of a cheeseburger... no one won, I would surmise....  So yeah, my sting in my side isn't even worth writing home about.

THanks!

~ Tracy
Rochester, Wash.
Tracy & Jeni Saulino
Rochester, Washington
Comedy Clumber Spaniels
* Beauty * Bird Dogs * Best Friends
with dual-ring Clumbers Jubilee ; Briggs ; Stella ; Ramona; and new puppy P!nk!  As well as our dual-ring oddball English Cocker, Gambel!

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Frontiersman
  • TeamYARwetspot-leavin other teams in da wetspot
Re: "Bug proof" clothing - resistant to hornets???
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »
i would think to get really hornet proof you would have to wear some gear that would just be too hot for hornet season  :dunno: myself im lucky, i must have a natural immunity to the things i don't even feel it when im stung, no swelling pain nothing. last time the only reason i knew i was stung is cuz i watch the little bugger sting me. then he died  :chuckle:
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
i would think to get really hornet proof you would have to wear some gear that would just be too hot for hornet season  :dunno: myself im lucky, i must have a natural immunity to the things i don't even feel it when im stung, no swelling pain nothing. last time the only reason i knew i was stung is cuz i watch the little bugger sting me. then he died  :chuckle:

I have a friend that does that with mosquito's if they bite her they die.

I have often wondered if any of the "bug" repellents actually work on hornets  :dunno: I haven't been too bothered by them this year I also keep up a death vigil on their nests, hunting down any sign of nests and spraying them or knocking them down and stomping on them.... I also whack hornets out of the air and then stomp on them.....I hate being stung last time it was one of those vile white headed wood chewing hornets and it took a hunk out of my leg that got infected and took almost a year to heal up... >:( >:( ever since then my mission is to seek and destroy the useless creatures homes...I was nice and left them be and they did that..... :chuckle: :chuckle: so now all hornets and wasps must die ;)

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »
As for the hornets, the best thing I have found is to tuck in all your loose clothing, use elastic cuffs, tape your pant legs to your boots, button the top button, zip your jacket all the way up, etc... just defend against them from getting into your clothing, that is when they will sting you is when their trapped or disturbed. An occasional bee won't usually sting you unless in has gotten into your clothes, and if you disturb a nest of them your gonna get it anyway regardless of what you have on !!  :twocents:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »
 :dunno:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Clumber

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
@ICEMAN  - BAHAHAA :chuckle:   awesome!

I'll have to buy about 40 sq yards of moleskin to properly silence that one I bet...  Worth it AND should resist getting the occasional and always PAINFUL string-slap too!   HooRAH!

Tape up all cuffs and shirt tucks.  Got it.  I'll look like I am going Bull Riding not hunting! Will do!

Thanks all!
Tracy & Jeni Saulino
Rochester, Washington
Comedy Clumber Spaniels
* Beauty * Bird Dogs * Best Friends
with dual-ring Clumbers Jubilee ; Briggs ; Stella ; Ramona; and new puppy P!nk!  As well as our dual-ring oddball English Cocker, Gambel!

Offline Al Bundy

• Scout
  • Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »
:dunno:

LOL. Get yourself a horse and you can just joust a deer.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:36:53 AM »
Do not waste you money on "bug proof clothing" at best it only works until you wash it a couple times then you have expensive regular clothes, lol.
Just tape up an be careful where you step.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10