collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: reloading help  (Read 3817 times)

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
reloading help
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:16:48 AM »
I have just rescently gotten into reloading. I shoot 180 grain nosler partition 300 weatherby bullets and the cost on those things are getting rediculous. I picked up a rcbs jr press, scales, trimmer basically everything I needed to get started. I just reloaded my first twenty rounds last night and I'm very confident with the way they came out. I then decided to try reloading some .223. My dies are brand new rcbs. The brass I have is mostly black hills which I was told is good brass to hold onto. Anyway, I set up the resizer, lubed up some brass and started resizing. Nearly every other brass is dimpeling around the neck. I am not overlubing the cases so I dont believe they are hydraulic dents. Could it be the brass? Im 100 percent certain my die is set up correctly. I didnt have any problems except for one brass dimpeling when I did the  .300's. Any ideas?
Thanks
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Mike450r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: reloading help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »
I am positive it is due to excessive lube.  The inside of the die will be where the excess is.  I used to reload commercially and .223 was the worst for dimpling.  Try lubing every other case, there should be enough lube in the die from the previous case to cycle at least 1 case before you do the next lubed case. 

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll have to give that a try tonight when I get home from work. Would it be beneficial for me to back the die off a fraction? Right now I have it set 1/2 turn down after contacting the shell holder.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
yup, spray the die out and be very light on your lube. if you feel, what seems like, too much resistance stop and stroke back down to be sure you are not sticking a case......that sux bad. but on the lube a little goes along ways.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:33:56 PM »
Excess lube no question.  You will get a feel for it, but running a dry case every now and then will help.  I use spray on lube then roll on a pad.  Every other handful I don't spray just roll on the pad to PU the excess.  Buy Nosler 2nds as they shoot just as well and are a lot cheaper.  I use seconds for all my load work and sight adjusters then go with new for my hunting loads.  

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »
Hey sniper sounds like you need to stop stroking with so much lube.  :chuckle:

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:54:18 AM »
I would set the die just to make contact with the shell holder.  You want to get a full stroke with no resistance from the plate.  You will get a case that fits the chamber properly without full length sizing but without a full stroke the base may not be getting sized everytime and it justs gets bigger with each shot.

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:02:55 AM »
Thanks  for all the tips guys. I did fifty rounds last night, I lightened up on the lube and I didnt have one case dimple. DB, where is a good place to get those Nosler seconds you mentioned? Thanks again.
MS
Earl Ramsey

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:28:28 AM »
I recently had the same problem with some 30-30 brass. I cleaned out the die and reduced the amount of lube I was using. Still had the dimples. After further inspection I discovered the vent hole was plugged. After clearing the vent the cases came out nice and round.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and a lot of items are out of stock. Is it one of those things you gotta check back often?
Earl Ramsey

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
Muley...yes they only have certain bullets at different times.  Keep checking back as the popular ones go fast.  10 years ago you could even get free shipping on more then 10 bags and there was always what you were looking for.  Now the word has spread and demand is way up.  When they have what I shoot then I buy as many as I can afford then even a little more. 

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 07:58:10 AM »
I was able to order some. I picked up a 50 count box of .30, .270, and .22 all partition. I paid just  a little over thirty bucks with shipping. :) At Sportsmans, I paid just about thirty for one box of .30 Nosler Partition. Thanks for the help again guys.
MS
Earl Ramsey

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »
They come in plastic bags.  I save some boxes to stack them on the shelf.  Simply put 2nds in magic marker.  The bags don't stack as high or as organized as the boxes. 

Offline AOD

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »
Hydraulic dents without a doubt. To correct the problem I would through the full length sizer out the window and get a neck sizer. No more lube pads and mess. Just brush out the necks before you size the case. The ammo should be more accurate as well.
AOD
SHOT FIRED.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]