collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Harlequin!  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Harlequin!
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
   Me and a buddy shot a Harlequin this weekend.  A friend told me he shot his the previous weekend and knew where to go, so we headed out for them.  My buddy said your almost guaranteed one but you know how that goes......anyways, no kidding, saw dozens comming right into our lines.  We both shot nice full drakes.  Already got it at the taxidermists shop.  Every year I collect a different species to have mounted, so this one is for sure going up.   Now for that elusive Canvasback...........

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
Re: Harlequin!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:11:37 AM »
Harlequins are a damn pretty duck, should make a great mount.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:25:18 AM »
I'd like to have a canvas as well.  I ahd my chance, but my gun perma jammed.  I was SOOOOpissed!

Offline Stape

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:32:56 AM »
Jeez, that must have sucked.  I've done something stupid like forgot to pump one in the chamber after the last kill, only to realize it when a "click" is all I heard on a pair of beautifully decoying pintails.
I hit my Harlequin with #4's and it went down really hard, but I had a #7 in the bottom barrel and swat him with  it rather than risk him diving and loosing him. Not a single feather missing. I passed on 3 or 4 pair until a really nice one I wanted came along. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:43:00 AM by Stape »

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:10:12 AM »
LOL.......Tell Kyle I said hi
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Stape

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:36:41 PM »
He's back in Kansas right now.  I would take a wild guess and figure your who he went hunting with out there huh!   Whats the oldsquaw population like out there?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
Its a Browning Gold.  I took it into the gunsmith and had him clean it.  He didn't put it together correct.  I didn't test fire it before heading out into the woods.  I backpacked about a mile into a pond I knew in the dark of course, float tubed my decoys across and set them all up.  A flock of mallards came in right at light, I shot ONE and downed him, and my gun jammed and would not work.  As I was sitting there trying to get it to unjam....in flies a canvasback and lands in my spread.  I've never seen one here beofre.  He swims in and out of my decoys.  I worked and worked at trying to get my gun to work.  Then somemore ducks then some more flew in.  I finally spooked them.  I had them landing on me while picking up my decs.  Then I got to cros again in the floattube, (I don't have a dog, so retrieve my own) then walk back to my truck then drive home.  Apparantly he didn't assemble the parts in the correct order.  They are no longer in business.

Offline Dudeluv

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »
They sure are pretty

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »
pretty birds

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
Nice job. 4 annual limits of harlequin. Do you ever wonder why you can shoot tons of harlequin a year in Alaska and 1 a year in washington? Please don't tell me that there are not many in washington as I see no less than 50 each time I go out.
Once again nice job!!!!!

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »
I like that scoter too. Does anybody have a link to the biology on the scoters or harlis? I heard the scoters can dive down over 200 feet and it seems like they can stay down for a couple of minutes.

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:39:13 PM »
Congrats.

Now, say again where you went?  :chuckle:

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 11:17:17 PM »
He's back in Kansas right now.  I would take a wild guess and figure your who he went hunting with out there huh!   Whats the oldsquaw population like out there?

Nah....I have yet to hunt out there. I hunt with Kyle on the eastside almost every weekend. We've been hunting partners for a couple years now. He's a good dude, one of my best buds.
Congrats on the birds. I will hopefully make it up that way when he gets back from Kansas. He's gonna be whackin wild roosters and fat ass geese while I will be eating duck stamp stew.....the *censored*...
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:29:59 AM »
He's back in Kansas right now.  I would take a wild guess and figure your who he went hunting with out there huh!   Whats the oldsquaw population like out there?

Nah....I have yet to hunt out there. I hunt with Kyle on the eastside almost every weekend. We've been hunting partners for a couple years now. He's a good dude, one of my best buds.
Congrats on the birds. I will hopefully make it up that way when he gets back from Kansas. He's gonna be whackin wild roosters and fat ass geese while I will be eating duck stamp stew.....the *censored*...

Yeah me and kyle went out last weekend and he shot a gorgeous Harly, few other sea ducks to. Good guy, will be hunting with him again when he gets back from kansas.  Anyways straight shooting and keep your powder dry fellas.......

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal