collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: H.L.R. buck Genes!!!  (Read 9749 times)

Offline Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
H.L.R. buck Genes!!!
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »
I believe this Buck is a decendent. I saw him about a week ago at the top of Springwater. He looks to be about 28 inches wide. He is at least a Two and he never stood before dark so I'm not sure if he's a 3 or not.What do you think Lowedog?

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: H.L.R. buck Genes!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
I would say you are probably right on.  He rutted and wintered in that area for probably close to 10 years.  I haven't watched that area much in the last couple years.  Remember the Tripod buck?  Have you noticed any bucks with those charactiristics?  Now if the HLR buck mated with a doe that had the Tripod bucks genetics then we would see a buck that might have it all! 

-Lowedog
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:28:23 PM »
You guys sure save me alot of gas money gettin gup there to take pictures to document these boys.  Again, LOVE IT!

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:02:26 PM »
lowe, you cant bring up Tripod... now i am sad we cant look at that guy anymore.  I have that buck on video for about 30 minutes at around 10 yards away.  Its priceless. the last year he was around.  I need to go dig it out. and reflect haha.  And remember the buck that was pretty wide but had all the cheaters hanging off him.  One of the local wenatchee guys has most of his sets of sheds. I am sure Lowedog you know who i am talking about.  I wish that bucks babies would show up again.

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »
Gerrett- for us non-wenatchee guys, you ought to give us a sample of what this tripod buck looked like if you can dig it up. I always enjoy looking at WA deer.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
Gerrett- for us non-wenatchee guys, you ought to give us a sample of what this tripod buck looked like if you can dig it up. I always enjoy looking at WA deer.

i agree...lets see 'em.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 05:30:09 PM »
I wish I could make some photos using my video camera which is not digital.  I have a bunch of stuff on video that would make some killer photos. 

The Tripod buck wintered in the same area and was a super heavy N/T that had extra points off his back forks like a tripod.  In his prime he probably grossed 200+.  A guy I know has a few sets of his sheds.

The other one that the guy has a bunch of years of sheds from was known as the Broadview Buck.  He stopped showing up around '99.  He was a killer looking buck.  I had a couple pics of him at one time.  I'll have to see if I can find them.

-Lowedog
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
lowedog...if it's 8mm video, you can have that put on dvd, and i would bet you can get vhs put on dvd too now.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Online Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
do monopods work ok when using a camera? im thinkin bout making one cause they're way to much money to buy one

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »
lowedog...if it's 8mm video, you can have that put on dvd, and i would bet you can get vhs put on dvd too now.

VHS to dvd is pretty easy, if you have the recorder. My dad has one, so I just go down to his place anytime I need to copy something over.

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:11:07 PM »
Tripod buck was AWESOME, good look getting the pics up here, he was something else.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 08:15:12 PM »
I feel like a noob...can somebody fill me in on these two bucks?

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 10:43:31 PM »
I saw a buck up the GPW this year that had the "tripod" back forks like you're suggesting... around 26" wide and 22" or so wide with GREAT forks, eye guards and those tripod back forks...  I know of a guy that has a set of the broadview bucks' sheds, but haven't heard of the tripod buck...  I've also seen that monster 2 point up springwater Slider... I haven't been out as much this year as I'll be moving to E burg shortly after Christmas and won't be back for shedding season...

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:22:19 PM »
When you guys say tripod do you mean something like this. Only I am assuming the buck you refer to has much longer tines. I always call them pitchforks??

Offline loveipabeer

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »
I’d be interested to hear where you guys think these bucks reside the rest of the year?

Lowedog and I have had this conversation over adult beverages more times then I can count and I had/have a theory based upon when the HLR buck would come down and where he would hang out that he was a relatively local buck... I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fell asleep dreaming about hunting Mission Crk. and running in to him.

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
Stickslinger, that's a sweet set of sheds!  Is that a desert buck?  The Tripod buck had backs like that but his mass was incredible.  He also had some more extras. 

All my video is 8mm cassette.  I hadn't thought of recording it on DVD.  I'll look into that.

-Lowedog
— Aldo Leopold

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »
It is a desert buck. I really hope he shows up again and has kept the same charactor as last year, only grown a bit. He was a very young deer. I wanted to see him get some age.

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 10:53:16 AM »
Lowedog as far as converting Analog Video to Digital you have alot of options. Wally World sell a 8mm to DVD burner for $100.00? Plug in the 8mm cassette and it burns it to a DVD (simple). You can purchase a Converter Box(simply converts Analog to Digital)and run it through your computer. You need some type of Capture Program. Also some newer Digital Video Cameras have a built in Converter. If you need info let me know!!! Good Luck

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
I've always called them turkey forks.  Kinda reminds me of a turkeys foot.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 08:24:09 PM »
Turkey forks- I like that. So I'll call the buck "triple turkey fork". He will need an official name name this year.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »
I’d be interested to hear where you guys think these bucks reside the rest of the year?

I was wondering the same thing.  Do those bucks cross 97 at some point?  Or do they spend their summers in the Colockum?  Can anyone remember any desert looking bucks (long, wide, relatively thin) coming from the Blewett area, Alpine Lakes, etc.?  Of course, seems like they get down to their wintering area pretty early, so maybe they stay closer?

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 10:19:56 PM »
The thing about Chelan CO is the winter range is a central gathering point... when the deer leave the winter range, it is a shot gun pattern as to which direction they will head in order to get back to their summer range...  Picture a donut, the center is Chelan CO, and the 'dough' is the mtn's surrounding Chelan CO which consists of their summer range... very hard to pinpoint a bucks summer range from his wintering location... you can make guesses and some will be accurate, but you'll never really know unless you get real lucky!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 06:36:11 AM »
Well I know of one buck that was killed on a late tag west of 97 that spent his winters in the HLR area. 

Several years ago the DFW did a study and radio collared a bunch of does on Chelan Butte to see where they go during the summer.  They went everywhere.  They found some of them 50 miles away in the Alpine Wilderness and some didn't go anywhere. 

The shotgun pattern is a great way to describe it.

If only I had a tranquilizer gun and a radio collar! ;)

-Lowedog
— Aldo Leopold

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »
Two years in a row, on the same corner on Blewitt, in the middle of November, I have almost smucked a gigantic buck crossing the road.  So far, about an inch has seperated me from him in two encounters.  Thats 1/2 an inch each time.  Both , lovely bucks.  I'm about to set a treestand or a camera on that corner of the hiway.  There must be one hell of a crossing there.  I hope there is some clause in the ethics that says if the buck does more than 4,000 worth of damage to your vehicle, you get to keep the antlers.

Offline loveipabeer

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »
I hope there is some clause in the ethics that says if the buck does more than 4,000 worth of damage to your vehicle, you get to keep the antlers.

Page 25, paragraph 6 of the ethics book states that the ethical/monetary line is $2,500...$4,000 gets you the antlers and backstrap.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 10:06:11 AM »
looks like you have some nice mounts duckfvr. that stuffed kid in the chair looks so real  :chuckle:
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal