collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help patching Neoprene  (Read 7677 times)

sisu

Re: Need help patching Neoprene
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »
Iceman
  Have to hit a dive shop sometime soon...
Dives are the only places they allow me in. :rolleyes:
 Sisu, hold long before using ( I Know I send it on tv if it last longer then 4 hours call a doctor)
tank
Tank, Pat says, "Not to use them for at least 12 hours after doing the repair and you need to leave the waders in your house at room temperature so the glue can cure properly."

Offline Trashmonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
How about plain ol' shoe goo??  I've used it with a trashed pair and it worked well.
Moooon Riiiiver. Using your whole fist doc??

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
Tank, Pat says, "Not to use them for at least 12 hours after doing the repair and you need to leave the waders in your house at room temperature so the glue can cure properly."

very important from what i have read and heard from a couple of my friends........

Offline tank

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
 I have not had good luck with shoe goo. But I may have did something wrong.
AQUASEAL with urethane has worked the best so for. Lots of glues will glue the spots problem is (and I found out the spendy way) when it gets cold the glue holds but doesn't stretch so the waders get new holds in them. Not talking about shoe goo here. I seen tubes that said marine goo but I've screwed up enough pairs experimenting. I've wrecked pairs that cost 175 to 250 dollars so the patching cost is of minimal concern. Once you put on the wrong stuff it's too late.
  I'll get a can on Sisu's stuff,I have a tube of AQUASEAL but want a tube or can of cotol-240 to accelerator cure time and clean the area to be patched.There are different types of AQUASEAL and I used the wrong types before. Get the urethane repair adhesive @ sealant.
 I have a tube of Iceman's polyurethane that I'll put on all the stitching when I have time to let it cure.But I'm learning so don't do as I say, do as the people that know say.
 I have not had luck with shoe goo,gorilla,contact cement, super glue, wrong AQUASEAL,and different glues that the experts in sporting goods said would do it. I don't have a duck boat and am in water where air temperatures are well below freezing. I really put equipment to the test.
 tank
I spent most of my money on beer and women.
The rest I just wasted.
 occupation-- RETIRED!!
  don't see how I had time to work with so much to do

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
I know I've entered into this conversation late, so please bear with me.  These waders... are they Cableas?  if so, can they be returned?  I have never had any issues with returning items that either break, tear, or fall apart.  I've returned waders that I've gouged the knees falling on rocks and gravel.  Sorry to hear about the shoe goo. In the past I've worked into the fabric and then put another coat over working it in, then let it dry in a warm area.  everytime I've used it to repair something I end up seeing stars and tripping out.  Serious fumes.  Well, good luck with the fix.  keep me informed as to what worked the best and held up to your vigorous demands. 

Offline tank

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
Trashmonkey
Tripping and falling down are the most vigorous activities they go thru. I am hard on them, the Russian olive probably do the most damage.This last hole was only about an inch long but I want to get good at patching. The guys at work have had good success with shoe goo and I may have gotten and old tube or one thats been frozen. My sons decoy bag straps and the float tube are held together with shoe goo so that says a lot. I think he must have about the biggest bag you can buy with all that he carries in. I might not have had the area to be patched good enough.
 This last hole I sewed and used aquaseal on them seemed like it worked but never gave them much of a test. If I rip a big hole in them I want to learn how to patch them and be ready to go the next day. Cabela's are great about replacing them as you say and the turn around time is a + for them too.
 I'll get another tube and try shoe goo again maybe their Marine goo on my summer pair.I'll read the package it may be the same thing in a different tube. Like I said it's just something I want to learn how to do well.So far my success rate sucks. I plan on trying just about everything others have had good luck with.Thank you for your impute and anything special you do that you can thing of,what you clean it with, set up time and so on would help.
Thanks again
Tank
The rest I just wasted.
 occupation-- RETIRED!!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »
Why would someone take back a pair of waders to Cabelas after a ton of abuse like that...?

I watched a guy return a 1"drive ratchet wrench to sears that he broke with a three foot pipe extention put over the handle. Total abuse and misuse. Come on! I can see if trouble is found during normal initial use, or normal use, but skidding on rocks, and then returning them? That repair should be on you, not the seller... Of course this is only my "humble" opinion. Let me have it...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
when it comes to getting new gear i have no problem sticking it to "the man" If they believe that it doesnt fall under resonable warrenty then i wont argue. Accept for when the asses at best buy wouldnt honor the extra warrenty i purchased on a mp3 player i purchased there.   :violent1: >:(
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline tank

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 09:41:33 PM »
Iceman go to what kind of waders do u use. I probably miss quoted you.
thanks

Now back to this thread
 Iceman--Of course this is only my "humble" opinion. Let me have it...

With an attitude like that I'm not giving you anything :chuckle:
 Your very good at beating around the bush and not just coming out and saying what you think aren't you. :IBCOOL:

I got a tube of your cheap stuff and I plan on using it on all my stitching, now in your very humble opinion do you thing if I use an old (when I get thru with it, it'll be old) butter knife to spread the ployurethane if I keep it wet would be a good idea.
Tank

The rest I just wasted.
 occupation-- RETIRED!!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »
Tank, you crack me up!

When I was a contractor we used a ton of polyurethane on alot of building materials, and it seems to bond very well to most all of them, including glass. We would groom the finish (for aesthetics) with most any tool. If you work it when it is warmer, it does lay down a bit into more of a glossy smoother finish. On my waders and shoes, I cleansed the area with an alcohol wipe, then applied the goo, smoothing it down a bit. Then I would let it cure. It did stick better than shoe goo in my opinion. I would delay a few projects which needed repair, until I stacked up a bunch..., so I could do them all at once. Cause, the leftover material in the tube would start to cure after I opened the tube. On certain applications, like bonding two materials together for a good seal, we would sandbag the joint. IE: I have gallon size sandbags we would lay on flashing joints to make sure they were tight while curing. I kept my first pair of neoprene waders which I owned and cut them into sheets to use for future projects and repairs later. I used a chunk to repair an ankle that had worn thin, layered over a thin area, with the old scrap, and bonded the two pieces with the polyurethane. Worked fine.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
If Cabelas or Sears makes a claim about their product are are willing to stand behind it with a warranty, no questions asked, then what's the problem??  It's not like I'm deliberately skidding around the stupid parking lot in my waders.  Besides, do you have a vesting intrest in Cabelas? Sears?

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:05 AM »
I have an interest in taking ownership for something I have done, and not taking advantage of a policy of either of these stores. In my opinion, this frame of mind of "their fault not mine" is a huge problem with this country. Cabelas and Sears are not making claims about their products like " you can skid around on rocks and gravel with our new miracle neoprene product and it will never leak."  Sears is not making the claim that you can jump up and down on a pipe extension handle on our 1" miracle ratchet wrench and it will not break". These companies are not making these claims. Instead, you are chosing to take advantage of their 100% customer guarantee. I understand returning an item which failed as no fault of yours, like a seam blowing out early on... If it was your small business and some ass decided to take you for a replacement wader cause he skidded on gravel in the things, you would not eat it and give him a new one. People in this country are so quick to think these large companies are evil, and to get back at them, and take advantage of them.

Did you really think that the waders you bought would take skids on gravel, and not leak? Do you not normally take care to see that your waders are not snagging on briars or thorns. Yes you do. And the reason is that you know darn well that neoprene is not some amazing bullet proof material which you will have forever. It will one day fail. It will fail early if you do not take care of it.

Take some ownership for yourself. If you break it, you fix it. Don't be blaming someone else.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
 I don't know you nor do I really care what the hell you think.  I was making a point about a stupid pair of waders.  You sound pretty self righteous, and if I had a farm, I'd bet it that you've broken something and taken it back becuse of your stupidity.  Here's to me ignoring you...Nice one calling me an ass.........*censored* Bag.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 08:05:59 PM »
Alrighty then...... :chuckle: Another satisfied customer. Geeesh!

And, for clarity, you may wish to reread my post, I suggested someone bringing the waders back to your small business....they are the ass, not you....

And which "righteous" are you referring too?

RIGHTEOUS (adjective)
Having or marked by uprightness in principle and action: good, honest, honorable, incorruptible, true, upright, upstanding. Informal straight-shooting. Idioms: on theup-and-upup and up. See honest/dishonest.
In accordance with principles of right or good conduct: ethical, moral, principled, proper, right, rightful, right-minded, virtuous. See right/wrong.

I consider myself opinionated, not righteous, but close.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:23:05 PM by Iceman »
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
by the way guys. i slipped on the edge of a lake i was hunting yesterday and i felt this sharp stick drag across the inside of my thigh and i was damn shur that it had just ripped up my new waders since it hurt pretty bad. i checked then double checked. couldnt find a hole  :IBCOOL:  thus i am further impressed by my cabelas light mags.

i completely thought i was gonna have some massive patching to do
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]