collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need some help with my hounds...  (Read 4378 times)

Offline vanhornhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Need some help with my hounds...
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:15:41 AM »
Hi everyone,
I see there are a few hound hunters out there and I really need some direction with a couple of redbones I got.I have a year and a half old male and a about a six month old female.Both come from reputable breeders in Oregon and Washington.I know I need some collars to start with but that's about it.I only know one other guy in my area that has hounds and works with them so needless to say I could really use any help at all.I live in Vancouver but I'm willing to travel with em where ever.Thanks for any input.I'll post some pics soon :)

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Need some help with my hounds...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:52:50 AM »
nice to see another hound hunter on the site. i dont know alot bout hounding either, been doing it for bout 3 years and got my first dog this year. the only thing i could say is get collars that have that tree switch, comes in handy. i hunt with my uncles in washugal, not to far away from vancouver, for coons and we do pretty good

Offline vanhornhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »
That's cool!I probally won't have the collars for awhile but Id like to take them out soon.I got a live trap so maybe I can try something with that.What kind of dogs do you guys got, Just wondering.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
Ok First off, collars with tree switches are currently illegal in WA, although you almost have to dig the law up, it is none the less illegal to have tree switches.  Secondly, to use a live trap in the state you must attend trappers training course and get a trapper's lic, and then it is still illegal to trap something, move it to another area and release your dogs on it.  With hounds you are already scum in most WDFW agents eyes and quite a bit of the rest of the public, escpecially on that side of the state.  You need to be squeaky clean, learn the rules and ethics of being a houndsmen.  This sport is in enough trouble as it is.  If you value your dogs you won't release them until you have collars, you can get them for about a $100 a piece, and have access to a tracking unit or buy one.  The amount of gas money you will save looking for dogs will pay for itself pretty quickly.  I know a couple of ethical houndsmen on your side of the state, if you interested in learning I'd be happy to let them know your looking for some quidance and have some young pups that need some older dog assistance.  Not trying to sound like a jerk or rain on your parade, I just don't want to see you get hooked up.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »
tree switchs are illegal?? everyone i've hunted with has them, except me mine is a different brand. we've ran into game wardens a few times and they havnt said nothin bout them. hmm i will have to look around and see what i can dig up bout that. live trapping is one of the best ways to train a dog, not that ive done it, but yes it is illegal so just keep things like to myself ;)

Offline vanhornhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 04:12:52 PM »
Machias,
Thank you for the reply and the valuable info.I was under the impression a set of decent collars would run somewhere around a thousand bucks.I would be very interested in running them with some experienced dogs.
My girlfriend and I plan on moving out to the eastern part of the state once she finished with school.We can't wait to have some property.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 12:07:58 PM »
Houndhunter, here you go my friend:  WAC 232-28-259 Electronic treeing switches. Electronic dog retrieval collars containing functioning treeing switches (devices consisting of a mercury switch mechanism that results in a change in the transmitted signals when the dog raises its head to a treed animal) are prohibited.

VanHorn, get yourself some Johnson Collars for $100-$125 each (They have a sale every Sept and the collars are $100)  Great collars with nice range.  Your tracking unit will run you around $400-600 for a good used one.  When you get settled over here your more then welcome to tag along anytime. What is the breeding on your redbones?

Fred Moyer

Offline vanhornhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
Machias-thanks again for more info!
My female came from Misty and Guy at Rocky Mountain kennels just outside of spokane.My male came from Kim Casey down near Oregon city.Here are a couple of pics of my male when he was a little pup and his parents.

And heres one I just really like!

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »
i like red bones. mine is 1/4 red bone and the rest walker

machias got my lion hunt coming up on the 29th, all things are good so far so i should be able to tag along with my uncles this time. how have you done this year on lions?

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 01:55:35 AM »
Good luck Houndhunter, I can't wait to get back from England and start chasing something!!!
Fred Moyer

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
wow your in england?? how long have you been over there for?? well i'm leaving friday for sure now, hopefully will come back with some cool pics

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]