collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Western WA Spring Bear  (Read 11801 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Western WA Spring Bear
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »
Been a little slow over on the coast. Heard of a few bears moving in the unit closest to me, but I do not have a permit for that area. I am hunting a unit that is new to me (Copalis). It is supossed to have alot of timber damage, but we have yet to find much old damage, let alone a live bear. We know they are there, but where, we don't know.

Some of you have seen the pic of the bobcat (and two yotes) I called in opening day, but other than a couple critters I did not see (bobcat and deer sized critters), we have been drawing blanks on our stands.

After looking at maps and aerial photos I did identify a small area that looked good. After calling this area, we noticed that there were some recent peels along the timber line. These looked to be about a week old.

Here are a couple more pics from this weekend.

Things should heat up soon...

We do know that at least 70 of the 100 access permits have been picked up. The good thing is we have not seen alot of hunters. We talked to a Rayonier Engineer and he told us of a 400 plus lb bear killed opening weekend as well as another wounded by the same party. He also told us they are speculating that they were baited. This engineer told us the trash in the unit was from the brush pickers who work for companies that lease plots to pick brush. We also talked with a lady in the main office who told us that the large garbage piles on the landings are from the cedar salvage crews. They don't get paid until it is cleaned up.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Western WA Spring Bear
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »
Peeled trees...that's good!  At least you know there is at least one bear around. Hopefully they'll start moving around more soon, when/if the weather warms up.

Offline bowhunterty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:51:09 AM »
Headed down just for Saturday.  Have two or three areas i'm  going to try. Found old peelings in the ares last time i was down there.  Billy, what type weather do you prefer to hunt.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 05:54:29 AM »
BHT - Let me know what you find.
For bears I prefer nice weather. I hate it when it is real dry and noisy, but 50 - 70 degrees and dry have worked great for me. A heavy mist is ok, and right after a rain when the sun comes out.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:48:28 PM »
I have a couple of guys who I work with who have Copalis tags and they are very disapointed in the amount of sign they ahve seen. I have been doing OK over in capitol peak.  Saturday morning my daughter and I saw a sow and cub and watched them for over 45 minutes. They were within range the whole time  :bash:
 I have seen what is going to be a monster buck on 2 seperate occasions also. Pretty good for being early still.We need the warm weather and the salmon berries   ;)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 06:07:39 AM »
Too bad you didn't take any pics of the sow & cub.

Yes, I agree....it is a tad early.

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 12:10:24 AM »
Hunted on Saturday 5-12 over on the coast.  Finally found some bear sign.  One fresch pile of scat on the road.  Then later on found some peelings (over 30).  One section along the road i saw 18 peelings.  Went and tried some calling but it was pretty windy, don't really know how much it affected my calling.  I will post some pics when i figure out how to.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 06:16:08 AM »
Wish I could have caught up with ya this week...I am going up after work and not sure where to start.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:43:08 AM »
seen three bear's yesterday capital forest. two were mating roaring and grunting. and a smaller bear running down the road. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »
My buddy saw a sow with 2 cubs, this years stock, a couple of days ago at Capitol Peak. Unfourtanatley I am working major hours right now and I'm only going to get a few more days before season is gone.

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »
Pictures from my last hunting trip.

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:40 AM »
Billy i plan on heading down in the morning to try my luck once again.  If you don't make it pm me and i will give you a starting point for your next trip.  I drive a 07 Tundra tan in color.  Good luck.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
OK guys, We've hit the CF every weekend this year.  Your killing me with this seen 3 bear stuff.  Lot's of sign, but no cigar.  We finally seen one bear last weekend, when in the truck and not ready.  May have only one weekend left, and then let someone else have em.  Bearmanric, I keep calling in deer with your call,  I think I'll use it this fall. ;)  They are peeling now.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 07:24:41 PM »
Well we endured some crappy weather for three days, but we had a good time. I saw a cub cross the road and one evening my buddy saw a bear stand up then disapear when I started calling. He thought it was coming to me. I never saw it, but did hear some noises in the direction it should have been coming from.

We found one recently peeled tree and a few piles of scat that were about a week old. We covered alot of area and have not seen much sign. We also talked with another timber company employee who told us that there was no need for a "damage" hunt in this unit, but that they relented when F&G approached asking to let hunters in.

I did call in a vulture of sorts, an owl and an angry doe. She was snorting and blowing as well as stomping her feet. I could not see her even though she was only twenty yards away. I also called in another bobcat.

This guy showed up after a few minutes of calling and hung around for about ten minutes. He was about 180 yards away. Looks to be pretty good size.

and one more.

This little critter was not happy when I tried to move him.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 09:24:16 PM »
if it makes you west side guys feel any better, i took a buddy who has only seen 2 bears in his life, out this weekend....we saw 7 bears on saturday! all within 500 yards of the same spot.

good luck over there!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw