collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking to hunt 101 sherman for whitetails any tips  (Read 18175 times)

Offline bowguy

• bow guy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
looking to hunt 101 sherman for whitetails any tips
« on: October 30, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »
hi everyone first time posting here and I am in need of some tips of where to go for the late bow season in gmu 101. I've tried to call and talk to the game biologist up there but I can never get ahold of him, also tried speaking to on of the guys in the coville office and didn't get to much info off of him either. It will be my dad and I first chance for hunting whitetails i've been looking at the national forest being we don't know anyone up there. i've heard the the areas around the town of republic turn out some whitetails but cna anyone tell me if it is true. If you have property up there we would be willing to trade work for hunting permission also. Is near Sherman pass any good or is it better to head north toward the boarder or by the kettle river near Rosevelt and head north form where? Where to go please help if you can maybe i can help you out in pointing you in the right way in centeral washington also. thanks 

Bowguy

Offline jnevs23

• Longhunter
Re: looking to hunt 101 sherman for whitetails any tips
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »
This is my first post as well. I've archery hunted both the republic/curlew area and the sherman pass area late season archery.  It seems to me that either way if you get some weather and the bucks are rutting you will get into deer.  On Sherman albian rd and south fork sherman creek rd get you in good country.  Its rugged and really thick dont expect to find too many area where you can see much more than 60 yards.  Pretty much just find an area that has sign and hunt it.  I like the Sherman area just because I know i can go anywhere and not have to worry about private land or running into too many hunters.  Hope this helps

Offline Typical8

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
Bowguy
 You will find tons of public land to hunt in any direction out of Republic. Like  jnevs23 said, you hit the weather and the Rut right, the whitetails are there. But of course they are not behind every tree! But make sure you get away from the truck and enjoy the hunt. If your really are totally blind up there PM me and I could give you and your Dad directions to public land, but again its not hard to find. Good Luck.
Hunt to live.Live to hunt.
 Typical8

Offline bowguy

• bow guy
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips i'll be sure to use them hope it turns out i'll let u now if it does.

Offline Oneshot1Kill

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
I live in Malo(30 minutes north of republic) and usually i could tell ya to just drive up a back road, get out near a field and set up on the far end, but this year i haven't been seeing much. I'm going scouting with a buddy later today, i'll let ya know what we see. A good area to hunt is along the river, and if ya get permission from the owners of the fields around here, whew, you got a buck for sure. Just be sure to be respectful and obey the laws. This rifle season i counted tons of hunters road hunting, camps filled with litter when they left, just causing total hell pretty much. But if your respectful and all that i could maybe get a buddy to let ya sit in his deer stand or blind. He's been seeing some nice bucks on his land.. Good luck!
Make every shot count cause ya might not get another.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
I live in Malo(30 minutes north of republic) and usually i could tell ya to just drive up a back road, get out near a field and set up on the far end, but this year i haven't been seeing much. I'm going scouting with a buddy later today, i'll let ya know what we see. A good area to hunt is along the river, and if ya get permission from the owners of the fields around here, whew, you got a buck for sure. Just be sure to be respectful and obey the laws. This rifle season i counted tons of hunters road hunting, camps filled with litter when they left, just causing total hell pretty much. But if your respectful and all that i could maybe get a buddy to let ya sit in his deer stand or blind. He's been seeing some nice bucks on his land.. Good luck!

There is also a Pay to hunt area north of Curlew Lake too !! 3000+acres $75 for a whole year (or thats what it was a couple years ago), not sure if they are taking any more hunters but....................??
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline jnevs23

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:51:58 PM »
You are planning to archery hunt right?  I was up on sherman a couple years age in mid November and there were a couple guys rifle hunting.  They apparently thought it was open like the late rifle hunt east of the kettle river.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
Check out the area SE of Republic around Browns Mt. and Cougar Mt. both hold some good bucks in the draws going into Ninemile creek.
Also the area around Empire lake.
Have fun and get a good map showing state land, there are some good pieces of state land down low that hold big bucks.

Offline bowguy

• bow guy
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »
Opens tomorrow i was wondering if there is any snow in the area? Also if anyone knows  how the rut is doing. Being open for any whiteail I Sure hope one steps out in range? i'll keep everyone posted on the hunt status.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
Lambert Creek, Nine Mile,, Hall Creek towards the rez on the West side.  Brown Mountain gets hit pretty hard by the tribe and locals.

Offline Wayne1

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
Go up Deadman Ck.... to Alligator ridge..... we've taken dandy's off there...   and we hunt behind the gated roads....   we've found that the tribe don't like to walk in.
Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road. --David Letterman

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
Any results from the hunts?  My wife is going on vacation and I wasn't invited (boo hoo), so I thought I would try and poke a deer while she is gone.  I have always wanted to hunt the unit and thought this would be a great chance.  I used to hunt treestands quite a bit in PA so I should be able to pick a spot.  I haven't hunted the unit in 20 years and it was rifle around sweat creek.  I am looking to go mid Nov archery and poke a chunky whitetail.  I don't care if it is a doe or a buck, they taste the same to me.  I am going to pour over the public land maps and try to set up as close to a farm and creek bed as I can.  If anyone would like to update this post and help brother out, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

Offline bigbull94

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
There aren't any deer over there. It is way to cold to bowhunt.Too many  people,too few of deer,YOU WON'T LIKE IT!!

Offline Oneshot1Kill

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
Yeah. Way too cold, unless ya grow up in the weather. Too many people, if ya go to where everyone else goes. Too few deer, since ya won't know where to look. So yeah, if you ain't from around here, it sucks. I wouldn't hunt here but i can't really go anywhere else.
Make every shot count cause ya might not get another.

Offline jnevs23

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 11:01:35 PM »
The only thing missing from the last post is him saying "look here if Anyones gunna have sex with my sister it's gunna be me"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]