collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer drop camp?  (Read 23473 times)

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Deer drop camp?
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has gone up on a drop camp in the high country. Is there any reputible outfitters I should check with? I'm starting to think the early high hunt is gonna be my season to tag a big boy. Any good or bad experiences would be appreciated. Shoot me a Private message if it is a negative story, as I don't want this to turn into a bash fest. Thanks, and this site rocks!
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Deer drop camp?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »
I have been debating this as well. I check every year with the guys out of Winthrop or just north of there, they seem to be very nice people and very knowledgable when I talk to them at the shows each year. One of my most memorable, fun hunts was a drop camp for 10 days in the Bitterroot Mts. We didnt see a single person and saw elk every day, great time.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
i have been looking into this as well. go to the sportsman's show in puyallup in a  few weeks. there'll be lots of outfitters to talk to that do the hunt. it will depend on where you want to go. like huntnphool said...in the pasayten, GPW, alpine lakes wilderness, etc decide where you want to go, then look at the outfitters for that area. i have been looking into doing this hunt for a couple years now and baby and weddings and etc etc have gotten in the way. the one thing that stands out that i was told by one of the outfitters i spoke with was to look at this hunt for the experience of it...being in the high country, the scenery, the quiet, etc. but do not go up there expecting there to be lots of deer. the success rates are very low, which is evident by the thread we had on here in sept. i think there was pic's of 1 deer killed on the high hunt this year in that thread.
i have been looking to go with icicle outfitters, but there's  a few other outfitters out there who do a good job as well.
early winters out of mazama i think is one  name i remember. i know nothing of their rep, but good people to talk to anyway.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »

Offline MuleySniper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »
My dad and I are doing one this year for elk in Oregon. We've debated it for the last few years, but kept checking back with the same outfitter year after year. We liked the results they were getting and they are good people. I'll really like them if I kill a 350 bull this year! No, just kidding, that would be cool, but I'm just as excited to pack in with horses and spend a week in a wall tent in November elk hunting with my old man.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
My family had been talking about doing this for many many years and finally in 06 I went ahead and planned a hunt before my father was too old to go along. Jackelope is absolutely right when he suggested go for the experience of enjoying the high country, scenery, and hunting out of a wall tent, horses, etc.

I went with Icicle Outfitters and we loved our trip. They have great stock, and Bruce and Dale really did a great job answering month's and month's worth of questions. We eneded up hunting in a secondary area due to fires in 06. That was a bit of a disappointment but not Icicles fault by any means.

One of the reason's I chose Icicle was because they could accomadate my limited time frame....We had only 4 days to hunt. Pretty tight schedule. We saw one small buck we couldn't put three points on and we were aced out of a bear we were stalking by a camp that was a mile down the valley from us. All in all we had fun.

I would hire Icicle again in a minute. I also agree strongly with mossback91 about Steve and Jess Darwood. If I could get away for 5 to 7 days, I'd really like to hunt out of one of their camps. In fact, I may plan a summer trip with them one of these days!

One thing to keep in mind....when you're packing in with horses weight is a premium and each hunter gets a limited amount which includes your personal gear and camp gear.

Also, expect all weathers.....Sun, rain, snow. 70 degrees one day to 20 degrees the next! I'll post some pictures later

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »
Awesome pictures mike sure does look beautiful up there, Id like to do that someday myself.
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »
Jealous!  :drool:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »
Awesome photos, I love the high country.  The thing about that hunt is it is NOT a trophy hunt.  Yeah guys do kill some good ones up there but the majority of the ones killed are small - average size. If you go enjoy the whole experience, I did a drop camp in 06 and loved it, however in that country and at that time of year the weather can be very hot in the 70s and 80s and the deer movement is limited to a half hour at dawn and dusk.  that can make for some long days and tough hunting, tougher than the general season even. 

My advice is to pick an area and then find an outfitter that services that area and go that way, I think there are some good opportunities on the high hunt in all the wilderness areas, some are more popular than others and opening day of the high hunt is just as crowded as the opener of the general season in many places so don't expect solitude all the time up there.  All in all a fun hunt to go on.

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »
"The thing about that hunt is it is NOT a trophy hunt"

Not to gripe, but what are you considering a trophy? I know people that have hunted the high hunt for years and Ive seen some real nice bucks come from the high cascades. The first year I went up there, a ten year old kid in our camp killed a dandy.  They are there, just not behind every bush.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »
I just want to thank everyone for their input. I will be going to the sportsman show to talk with some of these outfitters this year.  I don't consider a deer running from 200 other guys with its tounge hanging out and its front leg blown off a trophy. I definately will be doing this to see a different side of hunting and scenery in this state. I have a buddy who's family has taken some amazing bucks up on the high hunt and I will be going with him. He is wanting to go with a drop camp as do I just for a different experience and be able to spend more time up in them thar mountains. Huntingcowboy those are some nice photos.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:39:16 PM »
You should see some nice bucks. Bring a fishing pole too. High lake fishing is some of best!  I miss going up there. Ive done it on foot a few times. Id like to get a Mule one of these days to pack so I can go for longer. Most guys only consider wide bucks trophies, but Ive seen and heard of some real nice bucks that aren't the widest, but are nice and heavy. Good luck. I cant wait for the show this year.
Earl Ramsey

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
Sniper- why do you need a mule. I heard pack goats rock :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
 :beatdeadhorse:
(Pack goats)
Earl Ramsey

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter