collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to bone-out a deer tutorial with pictures  (Read 221362 times)

Offline MMMike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: How to bone-out a deer tutorial with pictures
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial.  :tup: On a deer I think I would just gut it out first...it only takes me a few minutes anyway. That way I wouldn't need to worry about accidently cutting into the icky stuff. I can really see where this would come in handy on an elk!

Offline Co

• Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/EuropeanDesign
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
More guys need to see this.. so they stop calling me to come out and do the dirty for them...  :tup:
I Love Mule Deer.

, High Country Co

Offline robertsjd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »
awesome post man . appreciate the efforts . thanks again will use in future
be careful going in search of adventure its ridiculously easy to find.

Offline Ductsquatch

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
Great post...........
Modified it a little for my uses.......
I don't have the nadds to post the pictures.......I tarped off my driveway and did the deed there.......would have REALLY had hard time out in the woods.....I haven't done this in over 30 yrs.......(long story)....
Did I mention I live downtown Tacoma........on VERY busy street.......ALMOST done.......no problems yet.....Not sure what the crackheads in my "hood" would think. :yike:
I can tarp off anything.......... 8)

Offline stagnw

• Pilgrim
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
any way to fix links to pics? they aren't showing for me.

Offline bronczilla

• Tracker
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »
any way to fix links to pics? they aren't showing for me.

x2, cannot see the pics either.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:57:59 AM by bronczilla »

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »
Also, does this affect the aging?  I assume you just age the cuts like you would a hanging deer, correct?

Actually aging is the process where the marbling of fat begins to deteriorate over time and works in beef but with no marbling of fat in deer it becomes irrelevant really ...

Ive done this back in the day, did I miss where you got the hangers or tenderloins?  not all that hard as the last step regardless. Also I have found this method works best if you are not going to save the cape otherwise it adds some additional work ... its been awhile since I could do it this way without having to worry about saving the cape.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
Also, does this affect the aging?  I assume you just age the cuts like you would a hanging deer, correct?

Actually aging is the process where the marbling of fat begins to deteriorate over time and works in beef but with no marbling of fat in deer it becomes irrelevant really ...

Ive done this back in the day, did I miss where you got the hangers or tenderloins?  not all that hard as the last step regardless. Also I have found this method works best if you are not going to save the cape otherwise it adds some additional work ... its been awhile since I could do it this way without having to worry about saving the cape.

Aging deer and elk has no advantage (though some 'old thinking' says it does) ignore the old 'stinking thinking'. You will only get meat that tastes stronger with more 'gamie' taste. Those who quit aging their deer and elk will agree with me. I usually have all the meat in the freezer within 2 days. The only reason it takes me that long is because of work and family and general pain in my body that has slowed me down a bit. Otherwise, I would have the meat completely in the freezer within 4 hours.

As far as capeing, I will cape first (which is easily done) then cut the meat off. Taking the cape off will add a little time but not much and won't hinder the boning-out process. I normally sell the cape if it is mature enough. Taxidermists need them and it will pay for my tag.
I'm sure I mentioned how to get the tenderloins but I will say it again - once the back strap (loin) and hind leg is taken off, and you take off or relax the stomach membrane, the tenderloin is easily accessible (one side at a time). Just reach in and cut it out.
Once you master this process, you will never go back to the other methods. Getting the meat off and into the freezer asap will reward you with the best wild game you've ever had.
I've recently handed out jerky meat to co-workers who have said they would never eat deer again. They were amazed that they could not taste the gamie flavor.
For the past 3 decades, my mother-in-law has not even suspected that we have fed her wild game (and she's been an animal rights nut-case). She loves what we prepare for her and asks my wife where I get 'this awesome meat'. She wouldn't ask that if I strapped the carcass to the top of my truck for 2 days and waited a week to process it. My wife simply tells her that I go to the 'meat market'. Yep - it's a market that God gave us and it's awesome!  :tup:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline aaronwyle

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: MDF, NWTF, PF, IHEA, WHEIA, NRA, Master Hunter, First Hunt Foundation
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »
Hi Axle,

I'm working on making this into a powerpoint presentation to be used at Hunter Education classes, if that is ok with you of course.

If I can figure out how to put the finished presentation on here somewhere I will.

Offline Debark

• Tracker
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
Thanks for the post, I will be sure to use this if i can land my first big game this year!  :chuckle:

Offline alexramsey

• Pilgrim
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Great post. thank for share this. very helpful
Hunting, Fishing and Living the Outdoors
Visit http://thebigdeer.com/

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »
Dang none of the pix work? Was really interested in seeing this.

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
This would be a lot better if the pictures all actually loaded up. Whatever server hosting provider is used for Hunting-Washington ain't got enough juice to load all this stuff up at once. Would be better in an imgur album or something along those lines that will actually return all image results at once... I had the misfortune of trying to load this up when processing my deer last october; this was not helpful with the technical issues that exist in failing to render images.

Oh and here's an example of what I mean from a technical standpoint, http 403 errors if you click photo links from the thread trying to learn more.  https://imgur.com/a/Yag5rZi

I guess whatever software was used to implement this forum looks at http requests that are timed too closely as a DDOS threat or something; really frustrating user experience. But i guess you get what you pay for LOL
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:41:13 AM by screedler »
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
This would be a lot better if the pictures all actually loaded up. Whatever server hosting provider is used for Hunting-Washington ain't got enough juice to load all this stuff up at once. Would be better in an imgur album or something along those lines that will actually return all image results at once... I had the misfortune of trying to load this up when processing my deer last october; this was not helpful with the technical issues that exist in failing to render images.

Oh and here's an example of what I mean from a technical standpoint, http 403 errors if you click photo links from the thread trying to learn more.  https://imgur.com/a/Yag5rZi

I guess whatever software was used to implement this forum looks at http requests that are timed too closely as a DDOS threat or something; really frustrating user experience. But i guess you get what you pay for LOL

It's pretty easy to criticize!
I own the forum and I am the one who pays the bills, from what I've been able to figure out the main problem is not with the server, the issue is when too many photos are posted on one page, such as the first page of posts in this topic. We have learned that one or two photos per post seems to resolve the problem of your device being able to load the page! I'm sorry for your frustration but don't see how your criticism is beneficial. I'll try to resolve the issue for future topics by reducing the number of photos that can be attached to each post.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2021, 12:19:06 PM »
Dang none of the pix work? Was really interested in seeing this.

If you remember we implemented a two photo per post policy for one of the meme topics and that solved the issue of photos not showing. The pictures in this topic mostly load on my laptop, if I reload the page when a phto doesn't show that seems to solve the issue for that post. But I think reducing the number of photos that can be attached to each post will help resolve this issue for many devices. Of course unfortunately that will not do anything to help this topic, perhaps someone could make a new topic with the same info?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]