collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My review of Blackcloud  (Read 5125 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
My review of Blackcloud
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:55 AM »
I finally shot some of the blackcloud shells that I’ve carrying around for awhile.  12 gauge 3” BB shot from a Remington 870, mod choke.  On the receiving end were decoying snow geese, medium range shots, not sure of the range, maybe 40 yards.  I judge range on geese by how well I can see their feet and their feet were plainly visible.   

I shot 3, 2 dropped with one shot, the 3rd took a second shot to bring down.  All 3 birds had broken wings; all 3 birds had to be chased down on the ground.  They all had pellets in the breast; the one that was shot twice had at least 7 pellets in the breast, none of the pellets penetrated through the breastbone into the vitals. 

I’m a bit disappointed, I expected better penetration but they did bring the birds down.  My conclusion is all steel shot shells suck.  These don’t suck as bad as some but they probably aren’t worth the extra $

Offline SilkWWU

• Feet Dragger
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: My review of Blackcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Being as you dropped two with one shot, sounds like your aim MIGHT have been a little off.  I tend to go for head shots and underbreast shots.  Geese are tough sons of bitches though!  You are right in your analysis of steel sucking, I'd take lead 10/10 days over Black Cloud, but really for an extra .25cents a shell (or .50 if you go super cheap) you can't beat what those offer!  You can really tell a difference IMO with ducks.  I rarely have wounded ones anymore.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
I have had good luck with it on ducks.  Geese are another thing.  I shot these with #4 shot, 3", 1-1/4 load. It is pushing 1450 FPS.  I usually like shooting 2's or larger, but I got a deal on them, so I am shooting them.  I have gone 21 birds on this box and missed 2.  That's good for me as I have the Benelli SBEII and I like to empty the gun.  I was shooting an extended Dead Zone Pass Shooting choke.  I like the tight choke, but if they are too close, I switch out to a mod and aim at the head of the bird.  I don't like picking out all the pellets in the breast.  About 8 of the birds taken were spirallers, "head shots".  2 birds were winged, but the dog was able to chase them down.  The others were floating belly up.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:45 AM »
Being as you dropped two with one shot, sounds like your aim MIGHT have been a little off.  I tend to go for head shots and underbreast shots.  Geese are tough sons of bitches though!  You are right in your analysis of steel sucking, I'd take lead 10/10 days over Black Cloud, but really for an extra .25cents a shell (or .50 if you go super cheap) you can't beat what those offer!  You can really tell a difference IMO with ducks.  I rarely have wounded ones anymore.

I should have said one shot each.  And I do target the head but the head is small and sometimes I even miss the whole bird! 

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:45 PM »
I finally shot some of the blackcloud shells that I’ve carrying around for awhile.  12 gauge 3” BB shot from a Remington 870, mod choke.  On the receiving end were decoying snow geese, medium range shots, not sure of the range, maybe 40 yards.  I judge range on geese by how well I can see their feet and their feet were plainly visible.   

I shot 3, 2 dropped with one shot, the 3rd took a second shot to bring down.  All 3 birds had broken wings; all 3 birds had to be chased down on the ground.  They all had pellets in the breast; the one that was shot twice had at least 7 pellets in the breast, none of the pellets penetrated through the breastbone into the vitals. 

I’m a bit disappointed, I expected better penetration but they did bring the birds down.  My conclusion is all steel shot shells suck.  These don’t suck as bad as some but they probably aren’t worth the extra $

Thats why you have to shoot them in the head and neck...you can kill them regularly at 70 yards if you shoot them in the head/neck
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
Woops missed that...yeah the head can get small at times.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:30:21 AM »
I killed a big honk over here yesterday afternoon with 2-3/4" 1 oz #4's at 35 yards.  Remington 870 SM with a standard modified choke.  Bird fell stone dead and had a busted wing, pellets in the upper breast(that penetrated the cavity) and multiple pellets in the head. 

My  :twocents: , they were either more than 40 yards out or poor aim/lead.  But I still feel like Black Cloud is nothing more than a gimmick for guys to feel better about shooting birds.  Still have to get them close and if you can really get them close, you can kill them with ay steel shot shell out there.
hey, where's Professor Chaos? Anyone seen him?

This post will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Online duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
i have had devistating results on ducks :yike:
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline spur_ride

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
i have shot all kinds of shells from the cheapest steel you can buy to the $33 a box heavy shot and i am killing ducks and geese at 20 yds just as good with the cheap stuff as i am with the spendy stuff  :twocents:

Offline 12 gauge watergun

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
I agree.. proper lead, proper range, proper shot placement
 equal a dead bird (goose or duck).  To shoot farther than 45 yards is rather long in my opinion no matter what you aim at.

Online duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »
ya my opinion is also no longer than 45yrds
you can be the best shooter in the world but that doesnt mean the gun has the power or the patterning at long distances
maybe thats why some say black cloud sucks because they skybust
not saying you guys do but have talked to some that did
mostly use plain steel and it does just fine within reasonable distance
but i think black cloud does a great job
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
At close ranges it doesn't matter.  Shoot the cheap stuff.  Picked up the Estate, 3", 1-1/4" #2.  It did just fine and it didn't rip the crap out the breasts like some of the ducks shot with the Black Cloud.  It may be hard for some to know the difference just shooting a few rounds.  I try to shoot a case of the stuff then I can provide some backing as you have on and off days.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
I hate these shells that "extend your range"!  Keep it under forty yards and you will drop ducks just as dead with cheap steel as with lead.  Oh yeah, go shoot some clays with your steel, there is no substitute for PRACTICE and knowing your effective range.  even if the pellets will kill a duck at 60 yards, you still have to be able to hit it.

When I first moved west, 23 years ago, I found I could use lead shot for ducks.  So I did.  After crippling many, at the same ranges I shot with steel for 10 years, I switched back to steel.  I did not cripple a single duck the rest of the season.   The reason??  I was used to shooting steel at ducks. 

Bigger, heavier shot is not always the answer.  BTW, I shot thousands of rounds through that old 1963 Model 870, full choke, and had absolutely no barrel wear. 

Sorry for the rant.  My  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10