collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling bears  (Read 15714 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Calling bears
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 02:08:21 PM »
I had taken 7 bears, before my last one.  Seen up close probably 40 bears over the past 11 years.  The last bear I took I was sitting on a fallen tree watching an elk wallow, when I heard a faint noise to my right.  Sloooowly turned my head and was nearly face to face with a huge bear.  It walked up and stood on the log I was sitting on, roughly 9-10 feet away.  Real nice chocolate bear.  It stepped down off the log I was sitting on and then put it's front feet on another log, just off to my left, perfectly broadside at 12ish feet.  I drew and released, arrow blew right through.  Bear roared and rolled on it's side and came up running right at me.  I'm not exaggerating I could have slapped it on it's butt when it ran past me.  It went 35 yards and piled up.  I walked over and admired my 110 pound little sow...I would have bet a paycheck when it was on the log with me it was a 200-225 pound bear.  Still had the hide tanned and it looks nice...just a little small.  :dunno: :'(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:45:39 PM by Machias »
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
I usually knock at least 150 and sometimes 200 pounds off what everyone thinks.  It amazes me what people think bears weigh.  Then when a giant is shot, it doesn't get any credit.  There are very and I mean VERY few 400 bears running around washington and not many 300 pounders compared to what people think.

I agree. The average male black bear in WA is only 195 lbs according to "Hunting Trophy Black Bear".

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »
I still can't wait to get my mini wall rug back from the taxidermist... a blonde bear out of eastern wa. Very cool colors...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »
Any pics Iceman.  We love them on here.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 07:46:22 AM »
I am an avid digital photo guy, except in this case, only pics are me packing out in the dark with a big ol' sheeit eating grin on my face as I arrived at the truck. (Camera forgotten at the truck  :'(  )  And yes, I am a big guy, over 300lbs on the hoof, and I can still sneak up on animals. Maybe they think i am a bear or something coming down the trial.  ;) When you are used to packing over 300 each day, adding on a 100lbs of meat isn't so bad...

I will get a photo of the wallmount when I get the rug back next month hopefully. Who thought taxidermists would be so darned booked up....near a year to get my stuff back...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:52:42 AM by Iceman »
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]