collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: Wild Pigs in Washington  (Read 7115 times)

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Hunter
    • HuntWashingtonState.com
Wild Pigs in Washington
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »
OK... 

Are there wild pigs in Washington State?   I've heard that there are herds of them in the Wynoochee valley.  Is this the same as Bigfoot?  Has anyone killed one or at least seen one?  The WDFW website has no information that I can find.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Ironhead

• Longhunter
Re: Wild Pigs in Washington
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:01:37 AM »
 There use to be feral hogs in the Wynoochie but that was a few years ago and the WDFG wanted them removed. I don't think there are many left.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:21:54 AM »
I posted that question some time back in another forum and got basically the same response. with no license, season or limit, they didn't last long.
they look like fun to hunt and good eats, but they do a lot of damage. it's probably best that we don't have them.
i assume they will be back at some point.
" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »
I have not heard of any lately, but a few years back I saw a whopper (over 200 lbs) on the Olympic Peninsula. When I told a Parkie, he said they frequently saw/heard about small ones, but never any large ones.

Just remember that you do not need a tag and they are open all year. When you see one shoot it.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »
I'm glad someone's seen one...

sisu

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »
I heard there were some near Forks, WA.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »
One a good population of hogs gets roots in.  You won't get rid of them.  In Georgia and Florida their is No season and you can hunt them with a general hunting license.  They are still all over.  I see them on the HWY in front of the house and along I-75.  Just rooting along the side of the road like they own the place. 

A 200 pound hog is a little above average down here but pretty common.  I just mounted a hog that was 305lbs.  I posted pics in the Taxidermy Section.  I mounted one a few years ago went 350lbs.  3 hogs have been killed down here that I know of that went from 800lbs to 1,100lbs.  One in FLorida(1,100lbs) and 2 in Georgia (1,100 and 800lbs). 

Down here we hunt them with dogs and knives.  We let the dogs catch them and than we run up on them and stick em.  Hunters that run dogs down here don't want t shoot around their dogs.  They are afraid of hitting one of them.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »
Forks would be a little North of where I saw mine.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Site Ad Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
i hunt same area as Billy. at the same time several of my friend's seen them then they vanished. talked to a fedaral game warden couple week's a go alot was fake.by the montesano gun shop messing with people. there are actually wild cow's by were i and Billy hunt. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
http://rrcalls.com/

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 06:01:50 AM »
Rick, I think you remember where I saw the pig (pit by 1900), but I did not know about wild moo cows in recent times. I know that they used to have a problem with them  in the southern unitand wanted them gone many moons ago.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »
When I lived down in Georgia we used to see them wild pigs all over the place. Real noisy and sometimes aggressive creatures. A couple of friends liked to shoot em with bows. If I see em I am not interested in eating them though. I had no idea that they were up here as I have been crawling through the brush for about 14 years in WA. Not much in the Olympic Coastal areas though...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 08:19:27 AM »
I thought i remember seeing a cover pic of wild pigs on the cover of fishing and hunting news. The info i heard was around the 'nooch and montesano for sure.
" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 08:25:34 AM »
I've spent a bunch of time around Matheny, Clearwater, and Forks... Only seen Elk, Deer, and bears... Never a pig.  But, not really knowing what it is I'm supposed to be looking for?  Could a scrape be mistaken for a pig rooting area?  Is there anything official from the state saying it is OK?  If (doubtful) I ever get one, I don't want to be hauling it around and get in trouble...

Wild bovines????   Do they grow tusks like feral hogs?  :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 08:32:02 AM »
June 22, 2001
Steve Pozzanghera, (360) 902-2506

Wildlife agency seeks information on wild pigs

OLYMPIA If you see a wild pig on the Olympic Peninsula, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) wants to know about it.

Seriously.

Jack Smith, regional WDFW wildlife manager, said he's received an increasing number of reports from people who have seen and sometimes shot wild pigs in an area stretching from the Quinault Indian Reservation to the Wynochee River valley.

"We're concerned that these critters could be spreading," Smith said. "Left unchecked, they can be extremely destructive to native vegetation and wildlife species."

Smith isn't talking about ordinary pigs that just slipped away from the farm. The ones he's concerned about can weigh 300 pounds or more. Sporting long guard hair, they are dark brown to black in color and have a generally scruffy appearance.

They also have tusks like a European wild boar and can be dangerous when confronted.

"Like wild boars around the world, these guys aren't known for having a good temperament," Smith said.

In fact, Washington's wild pigs probably share the same lineage, said Steve Pozzanghera, deputy assistant director for the WDFW wildlife program, who explains that at least one game farm imported wild boars from eastern Europe to the Olympic Peninsula in the 1930s.

"The pigs we're hearing about are probably the descendants of those imported boars and feral pigs that escaped from area farms years ago," Pozzanghera said.

Because WDFW currently considers the animals to be "feral domestics," they can be hunted without a license, Pozzanghera said.

And that, apparently, is what an increasing number of people are doing.

Smith said he had heard about members of the Quinault tribe hunting wild pigs on the reservation for years but has recently received reports of pigs being taken by nontribal hunters from Humptulips to the Grisdale logging camp site on the Wynochee. The clearest evidence was a photo of a slain pig Smith received from the owner of a sporting goods store in Montesano.

"I've heard of about 10 taken since Mother's Day," Smith said. "If wild pigs are proliferating on the Peninsula, we need to know about it."

If you see or shoot a wild pig on the Olympic Peninsula, Smith asks that you contact him at (360) 249-1222. If, however, you're interested in information about where to hunt wild pigs, Smith asks that you instead call one of the sporting goods stores in the Grays Harbor area.

"I'm really not interested in becoming a wild pig hunting guide," he said, "and I know that sporting goods dealers in Montesano and Aberdeen have more information than anybody about where and how these pigs can best be hunted."

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 08:51:29 AM »
Great info!  thanks

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Site Ad Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
that stuff is two year's old. last i heard was around the Wynoochi dam. the montesano sports shop.  are making a joke about.they think funny to mess with the seattleite's. becauce they get alot of call's. just need some picture's. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
http://rrcalls.com/

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 07:41:40 AM »
That stuff is actually 6 years old.

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

Views: 122
Posted by: tlbradford
in: Deer

* Recent Topics

Best happy hour in Bothell or surrounding? by Smossy's Girl
[Today at 08:38:16 PM]

Whitetail Video by jasnt
[Today at 08:37:52 PM]

$5000 Poaching reward by trophyhunt
[Today at 08:37:45 PM]

Hunting and hunters, what it means to you by Sitka_Blacktail
[Today at 08:37:42 PM]

Looking for a new rifle/shotgun or handgun? by carpsniperg2
[Today at 08:37:13 PM]

wtb colt le 6920 nib by coldsteel3d
[Today at 08:36:09 PM]

RIP DAD by silverdalesauer
[Today at 08:35:50 PM]

Best piece of gear that you added in 2014 by dscubame
[Today at 08:35:27 PM]

KCKracker by rtspring
[Today at 08:35:22 PM]

First euro in peroxide right now by sklopp93
[Today at 08:28:27 PM]

ER visit and the bill by quadrafire
[Today at 08:26:16 PM]

hybrid by BiggLuke
[Today at 08:19:42 PM]

***I can't believe no one wants to move to Cle elum, for a good job! by Revwrangler
[Today at 08:17:52 PM]

The Perfect Smoked Salmon by GUscottie
[Today at 08:12:22 PM]

Anyone still out hunting? by brew
[Today at 07:59:53 PM]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal