collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sportmans show  (Read 7994 times)

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Sportmans show
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »
Who is bringin' Their heads to the show?
If its brown knock it down

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Sportmans show
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
I may bring a couple to have them scored
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
I think i'm bringing two WTail mounts to the Big Horn Show in Spokane. 

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
 :) Just bringing me, myself, and I! 

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »
Wacoyote,
If you are going to the spokane show check out the non typ that scores just short of 190". It is from washington and it is a dandy. I was lucky enough to see it in person and it is a toad. A friend that I went to school with shot it and yes it was his first deer.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
Might bring in a rosie.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:11:07 PM »
They now charge $20 or $25 to have your critter scored.  I took my bull up to have it scored a couple of years ago and the guy waved the fee because he was certain that I was going to enter it into the state book.  After he scored it I told him that I wasn't going to and he practically begged me to let him enter it into the State Book and P&Y.  I love looking at the heads and horn competition but am bewildered why some folks would have dink or average critters scored.  I saw one dude have a whitetail scored (rifle killed) that barely broke 90".  Why bother?   :dunno:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »
Polarbear, when did they start doing that? I have mine scored every year and never been charged.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
I had mine scored and they charged me $15 but i got the book free the next year.
If its brown knock it down

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
They started it at the 2006 Puyallup show.  I took a bull and a buck up to have them scored and he said that it would be $40 or $50 to do them both.  Luckily for me he did them for free.  He said that they started charging a scoring fee because everyone and their brother was bringing in critters and they were having a hell of a time getting them all scored before the folks left the show.  To me it isnt worth $20 to $25 to have an animal scored and another $30 to $50 or so to have them entered.  That is money that I should spend on gear and not my ego.
Rosscrazyelk, that's cool that you got a free book!  I entered 6 bucks, payed the fees and they still wanted me to pay for the book.  I told them to forget it.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
Polarbear, some guy with a smaller deer may want to get it scored for his own satisfaction. No reason to shoot him down for it. Not all of us nail those big monsters.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:06:08 PM »
Damn, that did sound pretty crappy!  I didn't mean it as a total put down or to be a jerk, but it seemed to come out that way.  I can understand someone wanting to get a critter scored for their own satisfaction but hauling in a forkie or a tiny buck is kind of a waste of time.  IMO  They don't all have to be monsters or even really nice but there has to be some common sense involved.  I have seen bucks on the scoring table that were 2 1/2 year olds practically just out of spots.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:38:19 PM »
Ok, sorry... just sounded a bit weird.  Before I started visiting this site, I never even considered comparing or learning about rack size. None of my buddies or 'kin' ever thought twice about it. Now, I wouldn't mind having a few of my racks measured, just to see where they stand...sort of part of the learning curve.

I have one shed that is pretty big in my opinion, would like to know on that one for sure.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
i got charged the $20 last  year at the monroe show. it's 1 way or the other...i can't remember if i got the 20 back cuz it didn't make book or i didn't get the 20 back, but it's 1 way or the other.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
Before I started visiting this site, I never even considered comparing or learning about rack size. None of my buddies or 'kin' ever thought twice about it. Now, I wouldn't mind having a few of my racks measured, just to see where they stand...sort of part of the learning curve.

That is about the same for me. No one I knew ever measured anything. A couple years ago I took a bear skull to the PSS because my boss (yea, we shoulda been working) begged me to. It made me curious to know the size and they charged me $20 to measure it. If it was large enough for the WA book they would include it. Well the skull went 20 inches even and then they asked for another $40 or $50 to include it in the B&C Awards book. I said, "hell no!, $20 was more than I wanted to pay". The guy looked shocked that I did not give a rats ass about B&C. Now I would not mind haveing a buck or two scored just so I know what people are talking about. A 90 blacktail means as much to me as a 130 blacktail...I don't know what the numbers mean. Now if you tell me it was a 3x3 with eyeguards and the tine lengh was 9 inches and about 18 inches inside I would have an idea, but plain numbers just confuse me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]