collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's with the orange vest?  (Read 11043 times)

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
Re: What's with the orange vest?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »
Dang I wear my orange and a pair of pink sidewinders. Does that make me a super star  :dunno: :dunno:
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
 :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline washelkhntr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
BLKBEARKLR.....  That depends, are you gonna be America's next Top Model?  :chuckle:
"Once a Chief, always a Chief. Retired and Proud."

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:39 PM »
YO JOE!!! (now with kung-fu grip).

Actually Im more like Rambo cause I archery hunt.  I just wear the blaze orange vest with no shirt.  Drives the wife crazy.   8)

Offline mtn. goat

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »
Just an observation.  Maybe my ignorance has been handed down.  Orange is mostly ridiculous anyway.  Especially the orange coveralls and brand new orange everything to compliment the fear factor.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:49 PM »
I would agree that a little goes a long way but I like being seen and like seeing other hunters.  The areas where I hunt are crowded.  Especially when pheasant hunting.  But I think it helps keep other hunters out of your spot.  I know if I see orange in a clear cut or off in the distance I do everything to avoid them so I dont ruin their hunt.   :dunno:

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
First off, I don't normally take off my vest when driving because of what someone else already said, II don't want to forget to put it back on.  It's more of a convenience thing for most people I think. 
And...
I'm sure it's happened to people on here but how many times has some idiot decided to take a look through the scope on his rifle instead of grabbing the binos?  I'm sure more than one person has looked across a canyon or through the timber at someone else who's looking at them through a scope.  Yes, accidents happen. But every time I hear of someone shooting another person, saying that they saw something move and thought it was an animal, it makes me want to punch them in the head.  We've all seen it happen more than once and it's not an accident, its someone being stupid.  This is why we have these laws, because of people being careless.  So what if it takes you a little longer to identify your target?  Maybe you will miss a few opportunities at game, but is it worth shooting another hunter because you wanted to save a few seconds?  If it's that important to you, I sure the hell don't want to be hunting any where near where you are.  I don't need the venison that bad.   :twocents:

Offline Little Dave

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 01:45:14 AM »
Yeah, when I was a kid, my mom had me changing clothes several times a day... just about every time I went through the door.  Usually got called in from the dirt pile to fold clothes.  That's my childhood in a nutshell.  Had a normal persons quota of changing clothes by age ten.  Fun as it might be to change clothes, I'll cut back on this step where it seems to make sense.

Law says if you are hunting pheasants with a shotgun in this state, you have to wear the orange.  Don't need it if you are hunting with a bow.  Anybody get a pheasant with a bow this year?

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 04:59:05 AM »
Dang I wear my orange and a pair of pink sidewinders. Does that make me a super star  :dunno: :dunno:
And a bright orange pair of pants.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »
Law says if you are hunting pheasants with a shotgun in this state, you have to wear the orange.  Don't need it if you are hunting with a bow.  Anybody get a pheasant with a bow this year?

Unless you are hunting with a bow during modern firearms.  :tup:  Taking some pheasant with a bow would be awesome but I have a hard enough time getting any with a shotgun.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »
I just wear an orange vest over my camo but I dont take it off just to get in the truck.   :dunno:  With my luck I would forget to put it back on when I jump out all mercenary style.   :chuckle:

lol....nice... :chuckle:

I wore mine while driving cuz its easier than taking it off, it is just part of my clothing for the day.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
First off, I don't normally take off my vest when driving because of what someone else already said, II don't want to forget to put it back on.  It's more of a convenience thing for most people I think. 
And...
I'm sure it's happened to people on here but how many times has some idiot decided to take a look through the scope on his rifle instead of grabbing the binos?  I'm sure more than one person has looked across a canyon or through the timber at someone else who's looking at them through a scope.  Yes, accidents happen. But every time I hear of someone shooting another person, saying that they saw something move and thought it was an animal, it makes me want to punch them in the head.  We've all seen it happen more than once and it's not an accident, its someone being stupid.  This is why we have these laws, because of people being careless.  So what if it takes you a little longer to identify your target?  Maybe you will miss a few opportunities at game, but is it worth shooting another hunter because you wanted to save a few seconds?  If it's that important to you, I sure the hell don't want to be hunting any where near where you are.  I don't need the venison that bad.   :twocents:

When I first started hunting Idaho, I thought the lack of a law requiring hunters orange was awesome.  I can be fully camo'ed head to toe and still have a gun, I figured it would be almost cheating it would make hunting deer and elk so easy.  Wrong it doesn't make any difference whether you got orange on or not to the animals.   If your a crappy hunter, your just a crappy hunter that's in camo.  Also, the second time I hunted Idaho I was still hunting through some trees, saw something moving up ahead, maybe only 120-130 yards at the edge of a clearing, just going behind a tree.  Grab my bino's and check it out, it's another hunter.  I didn't recognize him with the naked eye.  It got me wondering how many people hadn't recognized me and weren't carrying binoculars. :yike:  I now wear at least a red flannel shirt or an orange cap when rifle hunting Idaho, whether I have to or not.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:54 PM »
BLKBEARKLR.....  That depends, are you gonna be America's next Top Model?  :chuckle:

Probably not by talent but looks I could take it all the way!!!
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Probably bird hunters.  Some guys always wear orange bird hunting so they don't "Dick Cheney" each other  :chuckle:
Why take it off in the rig if you are only driving a couple of miles to get out and hunt again...?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Big Guy

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »
I don't think the animal's care if hunter's are wearing orange or not! Me, I would wear orange no matter what the season. The elk I got this year didn't care that I was wearing orange.

Mt.Goat, does it really bug that much? if someone choose's when and where they wear there hunter orange.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal