collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: after your shot?  (Read 11650 times)

Offline edmondshunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
after your shot?
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »
How do you pay your respects the the deer you just shot? 

I put foliage and a cedar sprauge in the deers mouth, like a last meal.  I also spend a little time thanking the deer for feeding my family.
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

Online Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: after your shot?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »
i cut off his stuff and hang it in a tree nearby

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
I used to leave the tip of the heart as a "thank you" but now I leave the whole gutpile  :chuckle:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:54:45 PM »

Wow Hound,not sure that is showing respect, but to each there own

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
A simple Thank You Lord.

Then the Mmmmmm Backstrap chant.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »

Man, that cracked me up!!
- Scott

Offline TheKid#10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Bullwhisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:25 PM »
I am not a religious man, more spiritual I guess. But I always say a "prayer" if you will, thanking whomever or whatever created this wonderful animal that I love to pursue so much. And let him know the animal was not taken in haste or for sport but to satisfy my natural born hunting instincts and feed my family as well. In my opinion, for what it's worth. If you don't have tremendous respect and maybe even a sliver of remorse when you kill one of these awesome creatures you're more of a killer not a hunter.   This wasn't always the case. As I grew older and matured I started my "prayer" tradition. It really stated after I shot a cow years ago that ran off and started screaming, crying almost. As I ran to the noise to finish what I started I saw her talking to her calf, which I had not seen with her when I shot. The calf just stood there looking at her lie there and cry about 10 yards away. I couldn't even shew it off. I shot her again and the calf still stayed there. Then some guy comes running through the woods, attracted to the noise, asks me what the hell was that noise. I show and tell him the story and point out the calf and he blasts it before I even finish my sentence. Several people in my camp heard the cow dying and we all agreed probably the worst noise we ever heard. Left a bad taste in my mouth and added a whole lot more respect for my prey.
"Success: You get out, what you put in." - TheKid#10

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
I don't really have any specific things I do to pay my respects......but I do usually take a few minutes just sittin' next to the animal and taken the whole experience in.  Just take 5-10 minutes to reflect on what just happened and the circumstances that lead up to that point and how fortunate I am to be sittin' right there with an animal I've been persuing and dreaming about since the previous hunting season.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »
I always yell as loud as I can "FU*%&^ING AYE".  Lets god and everyone else who can hear know that I killed another good animal.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
Same as Muleyslyr.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

By quickly and properly gutting, skinning and butchering with minimal waste.

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »
Tarzan howl.

Online Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
I don't really have any specific things I do to pay my respects......but I do usually take a few minutes just sittin' next to the animal and taken the whole experience in.  Just take 5-10 minutes to reflect on what just happened and the circumstances that lead up to that point and how fortunate I am to be sittin' right there with an animal I've been persuing and dreaming about since the previous hunting season.

You pretty much nailed my feelings on the subject Muleyslyr. Exactly what we do!

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 06:13:10 PM »
DITTO!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
I have done everything from cry to whoop and holler.  I'm not a religous man, so I don't do any ritual per se.  I do sit down and relax for at least 15 minutes to enjoy the situation and let it sink in.  If there is a beer around, I like to pop one of those as I'm usually exhausted and it's the end of the day.  When i shot my moose this year, for an hour I sat there and just stared at it.  Shooting the animal isn't my favorite part of hunting.  In fact, it's my least favorite and right up there with dressing the animal.  I like remembering my hunt and the stalk the best.

Offline coonhound

• Jeff ><>
  • Longhunter
  • Jeff ><>
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
I don't really have a ritual, but I do always give thanks to our Lord for the experience and the gift.  This years deer was very tough and hard earned, I made a marginal shot with by bow and I had to track him for an hour before I recovered him.  I think I put a little extra effort into my thank you, I was really getting discouraged with myself thinking that I might have wasted the deer.

Coon

Offline robb92

• Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
I sit and thank the lord for giving me the chance to harvest the animal. Then I gut and clean and butcher the animal. 
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »
What Muleyslyr and BTKR said. I honor the game by taking care not to waste, by enjoying the animal. I honor the game around the fire with good drinks and good friends.  Pictures.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »
My buddies back in Montana, take a bite of the heart.  We also wear the blood of the animal on our faces like war paint. 

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:25 PM »
Growing up with whitetails in WV, we always had just a quick moment, normally while Dad was catching up to us to reflect the hunt, most of the time Dad said "hurry the heck up, your brother has one down too..."

As I got older, it kind of developed into a brief thanks for the animal sacrificing for us type deal and a way the knives would fly.  It wasn't until the first Moose my son (11) killed, a little spike fork bull, (it was in a draw YOUTH SPIKE FORK ONLY area) he made a great shoot, it didn't go down, he had to hit it again, it still didn't go down and started moving away.  I had to hit it with a .338 as it was going to the timber, a bit tramtic for him at the time, seeing all these shoots into the animal at about 70 yards..  When we approach it, my son was very uneasy looking at the small bull that was down. He never batted an eye over the couple of Black Bears he had by this point in his life, so I kind of shrugged it off, said our stuff and got to work........   Later that night in camp, he awaken me to proceed to tell me about his dream of how the young bull keep looking at him from the laying position and the bull kept asking "why me?"  I think in his mind he related to the young bull as an equal somehow.  From the point on, everytime he and I harvested an animal, we did an extra moment of silence and reflected on the reasons why it was a good hunt and how the animal would be utilize within our household and how all the other animals will benefit from it being down also..... 

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 12:05:32 AM »
After my shot I feel the success of the "Thrill of the Kill".  I hunt hard and long and after the success of downing an animal I am proud of my accomplishment.  Just admiring the animal when you walk up to it after to shot is something special.  Of course making it back to camp to tell the story next to a fire and beer in hand comes to mind.  After the shot, captures another memory for the books.  Backstraps on the same day kill in camp could'nt get better.  After the shot knowing you will have a freezer of meat is the best bonus.  Trophy or not, its always good to get an animal down.
My Dad started me hunting when i was 13, Me killing a deer at 14 for my first.  It was the best even when i was young,  His tradition after a shot was a shot of belly warmer that he would always carry in his pack,  He would have a bottle for years.  That only taking a drink after a kill.  Something special my dad and i do still when we are together,  Then a beer when we get back to the truck.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:51 AM »
 I dont waste any time in getting it gutted, boned out and packed out as cleanly and efficiently as possible.  That is my form of respect.  I ususlly hunt alone so there is no gawking or picture taking involved, just work.  When I was younger, we use to sit around the fire the night of the kill and get piss drunk with the head of our new "buddy" sitting on a chunk of wood beside us.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 05:49:57 AM »
When you get "Piss" drunk is that where you get so drunk you end up pissing yourself? Or is that because the rest of the night all you do is piss? :chuckle: When I hunt alone I prefer to hunt by myself!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 05:52:36 AM »
Yeah, I have wondered about that phrase too.... I get pissy drunk when we have an elk in camp. Maybe it is because I end up peeing a bit closer to camp that night....  :dunno:

I will have to try it again, and look into that.....
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

catwithboost

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 06:32:22 AM »
Yeah, I have wondered about that phrase too.... I get pissy drunk when we have an elk in camp. Maybe it is because I end up peeing a bit closer to camp that night....  :dunno:

I will have to try it again, and look into that.....

Ok thinking about that it is Funny. LOL

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »
I always took it to mean that you have drunk enough that you pee it out as fast as you drink it in.  We always had a 5 gallon bucket in the corner of the tent for such occasions.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
"Piss drunk" I was told it meant you got so drunk you pissed yourself either awake or asleep.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
... . We always had a 5 gallon bucket in the corner of the tent for such occasions.

Yummy, nothing smells better than an open vat of urine in your tent....   :puke:
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »
I normally get back in my truck and come back after dark and wait til the land owner is a sleep.. LOL Just kidding.. I thank the lord for the privledge to hunt and thank him for my bounty..
If its brown knock it down

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
I run in circles yelling hey ya ya ya hey ya ya ya then Ill scream aaaaaaaoauuuuao. Then I chuck my tomahawk at the nearest tree.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »

I usually like to do a little bit of what i call the happy dance followed by a round of high fives from me to my dad(My hunting partner) And then we sit there put our heads together and pray to God thanking him For making this wonderful world that he has created and allowing me to harvest the animal that has just ran in front of my bullet while i was target shooting...... :chuckle:

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »
I like to say a special prayer for giving me this opportunity. I to have have had a couple of times where i have been involved in some horrific deaths. Listening to some very unnerving Cries that were quite gut wrenching, and once i actually did the Nugent and sat with the animal and stroked its neck until it took its last breath (looking back i think how stupid as it could have gored me) buts that what youth does to you. Any how, every animal i take is special, and all though not religious....it is very spiritual and emotional for me.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
 I generally am focused on getting the animal cleaned up and out of the woods until it is hanging and the work is done, though when I first knock it down and walk up to it I usually take a minute or two to admire the animal and reflect on the hunt. Not a religious person, but I think anyone who hunts reflects on and respects every animal they take -if their doing it for the right reason's. I have known people that don't show a natural regard for the game they've harvested and it's pretty poor in my opinion, either in the way they care for it afterwards,  or wasting the meat, etc.. My gramps engrained that in us, if we ever missed even a scrap of useable meat in the woods when we were kids first learning to hunt, he'd gripe us out until we wouldn't ever forget again.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
We take great care of our meat after we butcher it up in the field, we pack heafty game bags (thick pillow cases) and bone the meat out and make sure to not let it touch the ground because it'd just get full of dirt.  Back at camp we lay all the meat out on a bed sheet and let it cool off then piece by piece pick off the little hairs that got on it from cutting it up..  Saves a lot of time for the butcher and the quality is that much better of your finished product. I hate seeing people dragging an animal out whole and seeing all the dirt and crap that gets stuck to the animal, not to mention the hide is mostly rubbed off. 

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
I usually sit down and have a moment of silence, wondering how i could have bumped my scope, or when my buddies adjusted the sight on my bow then i kick some rocks, go find them again and throw them the direction the animal went.

actually, i usually walk a couple of circles around whatever it is and think to myself "damn, the fun part is over" then I start thinking about who i'll invite over to share the heart.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
I mark where I was standing when I shot and the direction I shot then I go find where the critter was standing and look for blood then I start looking for it I really dont do anything else other than listen for the animal to fall down or the direction of branches breaking and such :dunno:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 05:05:52 PM »
I usually shut the spot light off, go cut the head off, and run back to the truck and drink more beer  ;). No just kidding, I usually sit there and relax and then think about how to get it out of the hell hole I just shot it in.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Houndhunter, what do you suppose you would do in this case ??  :dunno:

Online Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »
somthin like that i'd have to save to hang on my christmas tree!!

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
I'm jealous  :'(

Online Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »
Jealous??

your crazy, i dont think i could handle 20lbs in between my legs. i can hardely handle the 10lbs in between them right now  :chuckle:

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Maybe I'm tougher than you...
It's not so much the weight that bothers me, it's the fact that it hits the ground every time I unzip. :dunno:

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
 :bs:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
Ok back to the original question,
I do take a few minutes to take in the moment and also to give thanks to the animal and thanks for being able to feed my family ... then my ritual of breaking out the airplane bottle shot of Pendleton that I carry and I make all who hunt with me carry so we can have a snort before the work begins!  ;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »
Usually I will just sit there for a minute and enjoy the moment. On occasion I have hooped and hollered but don't make a habit out of it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal