collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: UPLAND TRIP A BUST!  (Read 3109 times)

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
UPLAND TRIP A BUST!
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »
  My trip started out launching the boat near vantage at a retirement community called sunland i believe.  traveled up the river to a sandbar south of crescent bar.  started up the first canyon side hilling about a half mile then went straight to the top and hunted back along the edges.  noticed i could hear water running as i looked over into the next canyon so i walked this canyon up following the edge for about a mile and headed down what looked like a good ravine.  one of my only choices because some of it turned into shear cliffs half way down.   once down in the bottom there was plenty of turkey sign of all things turkey crap everywhere and not alot of cover.  i mean this was typical chukar country without the chukars kind of wierd.
back to the boat and traveled up river to basalt cliffs and hunted crescent bar below the cliffs.  after a ton of walking jumped 6 or so huns but were way out in front of me and at that point i really wasnt expecting much even though my dog was pointing and moving forward as i walked next to him actually thought it was a jack rabbit or something he trash points every once in a while.  i just grinded my teeth and kept walking toward the boat it was getting dark.  alot of elk wintering out there.  stayed in wenatchee and hunted for quail the next day there could not find a covey so left and went back to quincy and found some public that one of our members turned me onto off of white trail rd.  perfect looking habitat ive not seen much better without private signs all over it.  finally jumped about 20 quail as the sun was going down.  managed to shoot about 6.  what a relief i was dying to pull the trigger.  i also jumped a hen pheasant.
 i want to thank everyone that gave tips and suggestions im sure there was probably birds somewhere in one of those canyons ill try some different spots next time.

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
Re: UPLAND TRIP A BUST!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »
Doesn't sound like a bust if you got six of the little buggers. My son and I went out last Saturday in the Quilomene. Did a ton of walking and hiked further down into the canyon than I would have liked. We heard chukars, but could never find them.

Offline Snowman

• Longhunter
  • If only it was easy, than it wouldn't be a journey
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
Heading over by Quincy next week for a day to scout and do some hunting on private land. Hope it turns out good. I do know there is a lot of chukar there, but didn't hunt around the crop fields during deer season stayed in the crp. Hoping to see some phesants.. :)
Hunting and Fishing is not what I do. But who I am...

Offline Thenewguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:47:15 PM »
  My trip started out launching the boat near vantage at a retirement community called sunland i believe.  traveled up the river to a sandbar south of crescent bar.  started up the first canyon side hilling about a half mile then went straight to the top and hunted back along the edges.  noticed i could hear water running as i looked over into the next canyon so i walked this canyon up following the edge for about a mile and headed down what looked like a good ravine.  one of my only choices because some of it turned into shear cliffs half way down.   once down in the bottom there was plenty of turkey sign of all things turkey crap everywhere and not alot of cover.  i mean this was typical chukar country without the chukars kind of wierd.
back to the boat and traveled up river to basalt cliffs and hunted crescent bar below the cliffs.  after a ton of walking jumped 6 or so huns but were way out in front of me and at that point i really wasnt expecting much even though my dog was pointing and moving forward as i walked next to him actually thought it was a jack rabbit or something he trash points every once in a while.  i just grinded my teeth and kept walking toward the boat it was getting dark.  alot of elk wintering out there.  stayed in wenatchee and hunted for quail the next day there could not find a covey so left and went back to quincy and found some public that one of our members turned me onto off of white trail rd.  perfect looking habitat ive not seen much better without private signs all over it.  finally jumped about 20 quail as the sun was going down.  managed to shoot about 6.  what a relief i was dying to pull the trigger.  i also jumped a hen pheasant.
 i want to thank everyone that gave tips and suggestions im sure there was probably birds somewhere in one of those canyons ill try some different spots next time.

I have tried that same area twice. My buddy says it used to be great hunting. Turkeys are very aggressive and tend to push other birds out. This is most likely why that area sucks now

Offline TEX-X

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:53:41 AM »
yEAH  6.... not a bust at all... what kinda pup are you hunting?

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:55 AM »
i was hunting a setter.  i was dissapointed in the amount of effort using the boat and all. :'(  i thought i was going to find chukar heaven or least send some there.lol  quincy area looks as good of bird country as youll find anywhere.  reminds me of vale and ontario with the malhuer running through it.  i cant imagine the amount of ducks that will be using that with the hard freeze up.  ive quail hunted along the river when low clouds and fog brought the birds right down to the river.  10-30 flying by at a time reminded me of dove hunting didnt know what to hunt.  quail, pheasant, ducks, or geese.  so we settled for all of them. although the setters didnt know what to think of all the ducks dropping out of the sky.  great times. 
ill try towards vantage more my next outing or yakima.

Online Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
The memories are made in the field...the trip you stay home is the bust. The rest are just keeping you in shape and building the excitement for the day it all comes together :IBCOOL:. Hang in there, enjoy the next trip out, and the one after that.

Offline TEX-X

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:48:06 PM »
honestly i'd much rather get out there... work my dog and not see a dang thing than do anything else.... getting birds are a plus but not a necessity for me to keep doing it..  My happiest memories are of me and the old man out in the field behind a gun dog

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:57:40 AM »
The bar doesn't heat up until the snow gets deep.  Otherwise the birds are spread out and up high.

We have been hearing a lot of chukars at the tops of the cliffs while duck hunting down there.

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »
i'm glad to hear that the quincy public land was somewhat productive for you.  a buddy and i hunted that stretch the friday after thanksgiving along with half a million other people.  only shots we heard were down on the river from duck hunters.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]