collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: VAIS Muzzle Brakes?  (Read 21407 times)

Offline HighCountry10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
VAIS Muzzle Brakes?
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:04:52 PM »
I am considering sending my rifle off to Texas to VAIS Arms to get their Muzzle Brake installed on my Browning A-Bolt Stalker in the 300WSM.  This muzzle brake is suppose to be the quietest muzzle brake available,cuts recoil for 300WSM by 50%, and most of all eliminates to aggressive "hopping" this rifle has upon recoil.  Sean at Hooked On Toys in Wenatchee reccomended them and said he has been very pleased with the many rifles they have sent off to them. 

Any opinions or information aboout muzzle brakes in general or this muzzle brake specifically that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
Re: VAIS Muzzle Brakes?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
I owuld be interested to know this as well.  My Tikka T3 in 300WSM is a mule, and "flips" the muzzle pretty good!  Sims recoil pad made it about 40% better though!
- Scott

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
IMO, muzzle brakes should only be installed on range rifles.  They are just to loud and dangerous to your hearing in hunting situations, especially if you are hunting with a partner.  Even the ones billed as "quiet".  Have you ever really noticed the recoil of any rifle when you have been hunting?
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
If you haven't tried installing a Sims recoil pad, you should try that first, before you add a set of sissy slots to the front of your rifle.  (Just kidding bout the sissy slots).  I have a sims pad on my 325 wsm in browning stainless stalker and it doesn't kick bad at all.  My buddy also has a sims pad on his 300wsm stainless stalker and he's fairly recoil sensitive, and he shoots it from the bench just fine.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
I have a few rifles ;) and I can say that if you hunt solo a brake may be up your alley, but if you hunt with anyone.......ever, you are gonna get punched by your pards. sure muzzle brakes are not "louder".....but they are operating in a whole new frequency range. 130 db's at 30hz is loud.....130db's at 15K hz is painfull.

brakes are for cars and target guns. a bunch of felt recoil could be your stocks shape, or your technique. I have owned the hardest recoiling rifle most guys will ever touch and never noticed it in the field, on the bench I just snuggle up with a bag of shot between me and the rifle.

Offline HighCountry10

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »
In regards to recoil pads I already have a Pacmeyer, how does this one compare to the Sims?

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
My cousin touched off his brand new custom made 7mm mag on an elk a few years back, muzzle break and all. He missed the shot, and walked around all day with ringing ears, couldn't hear crap. At dark he zipped up the rifle in it's case and was done with it. He had never shot the rifle without muffs on.  He finished the hunt with his old 06'.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »
In regards to recoil pads I already have a Pacmeyer, how does this one compare to the Sims?

IMO Sims is hands down better

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 08:04:44 AM »
IMO Sims is hands down better

i have them on 3 shotguns and my a-bolt 30-06 after trying a few different pads on my shotguns. they ahve helped my shooting greatly, especially on the a-bolt. maybe i'm sensitive to recoil, but that abolt kicks like a frickin mule...not too bad for me with the sims pad. 300 rounds a day throught the 12 gauge doesn't bother me at all either.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:41:47 AM »
Thier local also, There in Shelton Wa.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
the pachmeyer would be better on a really light rifle or a super magnum, it is much firmer than the sims. on any rifle in the 8lb 300win class the sims is WAY better.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »
I have a few rifles ;) and I can say that if you hunt solo a brake may be up your alley, but if you hunt with anyone.......ever, you are gonna get punched by your pards. sure muzzle brakes are not "louder".....but they are operating in a whole new frequency range. 130 db's at 30hz is loud.....130db's at 15K hz is painfull.

brakes are for cars and target guns. a bunch of felt recoil could be your stocks shape, or your technique. I have owned the hardest recoiling rifle most guys will ever touch and never noticed it in the field, on the bench I just snuggle up with a bag of shot between me and the rifle.

I have a 338-378 Wby that kicks harder than almost any gun out there. It actually kicks harder than the 378Wby my cousin has. I have shot my gun twice without the break and it sucks.  If someone is man enough to shoot it without one my hat is off to them :dunno:

I have a 375 ulta mag and did not have a break on it for a while but decided it was worth it. It improved the muzzle jump alot and now the gun kicks like a 300Win mag.

I shoot a 300Wby and dont think it kicks at all and it is a ultralight.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 05:26:24 PM »
you don't have to be all that manly, like I said, snuggle up with a bag of shot on the bench. if you have to have a brake to shoot in the field perhaps you might need to shoot from the prone once into the wind.....that would be enough to fix most guys.....unless you hunt in goggles. 8)

how many times have you shot the braked 338 w/o plugs in?

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »
I've shot my 338 twice without. Only reason to shoot any gun without is when your trying to kill something otherwise I use plugs and muffs on any gun I shoot. :dunno:

I know people who hunt with ear protection even for guns without a break.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »
Back when the 338 RUM came out 00-01? the pard and I ran out and bought 2. Mine was a 700 LSS, his a 700 Stainless Synthetic. I started loading some 225 partitions with alot of RL25, figured they were just what we were needing for bear.They were, but they kicked so god damn hard,it turned us both into trigger jerking idiots.A local gunsmith recommended Ron Bartletts Vias "quiet" brake, we both had them installed. " any competent gunsmith can install one, no need to send it to Texas". Long story short, they weren't much, if any quieter than a boss, kdf, of Weatherby Accubrake, the recoil reduction wasn't near advertised either. Needless to say, both hit the next gun show never to be seen again. They are also ugly as hell and 2'' on to your barrel. I think I would try a pad, either a Sims or a Decellerator, alot cheaper too. Later
Tod Riechert fan club.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter