collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .223 Pick  (Read 6191 times)

Offline GEARHEAD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
.223 Pick
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
Switched from a .243 bolt gun, shooting 58 grn v-max's. devastating results loved it.  now shooting a .223 R-15, with 55grn v-max's.
almost every yote i have shot so far with this .223 round, and i'm talking 50 yard average, has required a second shot, only two have dropped. so i'm gonna try a new .223 round, thinking of a soft point.
anybody using a .223 having good one shot drop results, with their round?, and if so, what ya usin'. Thanks!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: .223 Pick
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
I have been using the Nosler Ballistic Tips in 40gr with good results. I have a 1/10 twist so you may try the 55gr. version if you have a 1/9. :dunno:

http://nosler.com/ballistictipvarmint.htm
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
i shoot 40 grain hornady's and if i do my part they do there's
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
The absolute best bullet for a 223 as far as fur and DRT goes is the speer 52 grain# 1035 hollow point. load with 26 grains of H-335 Ocl 1650 Oal 2200 CCI 400 primers. and you will love the results . B tips and V max are way to explosive and will cause runners unless you slow them down .. now if you want this load in a factory offering buy some black hills blue box 52 grain match hollow points.
  black hills does not use the speer bullet any more , they now use a sierra .
 its not quite as good on fur but darned close . the whole secret is to slow that bullet down.
 if you hot rod it , it get ugly .
with the load i told you about ill quarantee you you will never have a exit .
I have shot hundreds of coyotes with this load after years of experimenting, trust me its the cats a$$.
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline WiseOldYote

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »
+1 on what Jerry said!!
Yotus Wackus Alotus

Offline Oneshot1Kill

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
I just got mine a couple weeks ago and have already got 2 yotes. First one i used a Soft point at about 70-80yds. Gut shot kinda thing, and where the bullet exited it took almost the whole side with it. Dropped him like a rock. Next one i shot was at about 200, perfect shot to the heart with some Metal cased, and he ran about 30-40yds, then fell dead. I love my 223, where ya hitting yours at? Head or heart shots or even chest shots for that matter should kill em
Make every shot count cause ya might not get another.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04:09 PM »
I just got back from Cabelas buying some new .223 Hornady rounds and NOW you guys have this discussion.    :chuckle: :chuckle:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
No worries Machias, only had two get away from me after hitting them, both were long shots at night with a spot light from the deck. buddies fat yellow lab actually tracked one down for me, found it a half mile away at 1am, and finished it, the other i did not recover, but on all the called in dogs, they went down within 25 yards, or just stayed there spinning, a quick double tap with the R15 into that spin usually does the trick. i just  don't like watching a thing suffer too long being the bunny hugger i am, actually, it was a bunny that hired me to kill 'em, Lol. so rather than wait  i'll put another 1 in 'em, tell ya what, what a difference it makes having an R15 vs a bolt gun, for these follow up shots.
i just like to see em drop straight down, with the .243 vmax 58 grainers, at 3700 fps, i guess i was a little spoiled.
gonna try that hollow point next, will report if i have a difference, thx all for responding.

Offline Straight Shooter

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
No worries Machias, only had two get away from me after hitting them, both were long shots at night with a spot light from the deck. buddies fat yellow lab actually tracked one down for me, found it a half mile away at 1am, and finished it, the other i did not recover, but on all the called in dogs, they went down within 25 yards, or just stayed there spinning, a quick double tap with the R15 into that spin usually does the trick. i just  don't like watching a thing suffer too long being the bunny hugger i am, actually, it was a bunny that hired me to kill 'em, Lol. so rather than wait  i'll put another 1 in 'em, tell ya what, what a difference it makes having an R15 vs a bolt gun, for these follow up shots.
i just like to see em drop straight down, with the .243 vmax 58 grainers, at 3700 fps, i guess i was a little spoiled.
gonna try that hollow point next, will report if i have a difference, thx all for responding.

GEARHEAD,

Just a little curious as to why you're moving from the .243 to .223?  The reason why I'm asking is because I plan to do the opposite.  Based on ballistics, .223 has less room for error than the .243.  If the .243 rarely requires a follow-up shot, why move to a "lesser" cartridge that would more likely require a follow-up shot.  Is it because of the desire to move from a bolt gun to a semi-auto?  Right now, I predator hunt exclusively with the .223 (in bolt action and AR platforms).  The reason that I considering the "upgrade" from .223 to the .243 is the "dead right there" advantage of the .243... thus, reducing the need for a follow-up shot.  Like I said, I'm just curious because I can see advantages with both the .243 round (better knock-down energy)... and the .223 round in an AR platform (higher capacity & follow-up shots).  Now, if I had an .243 in an AR platform, I'd pretty much have the perfect coyote rig!  :chuckle:

DAMN... NOW, I HAVE TO LOOK INTO AN AR IN .243!!!   :DOH:
United States Air Force, Retired - Apr '85-Nov '05
Operation ENDURING FREEDOM & Operation IRAQI FREEDOM Veteran

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »
Last year i shot a factory round by Black Hills at 32 grn.  Not one yote all year ran.  As a matter of fact i can't recall one even taking a step after the bang.  I worry more about shot placement rather that bullet size.  If you hit them in the neck or high shoulder were you can get some concusion behind it, bullet size doesn't mean much.  I always try for the ball of the shoulder or forward.  This year i had an older guy i know that is obsessed with 223 and long-range shooting load me up a bullet specifically for my gun, 1/2 groups at 300, and he used a 52 grain.  So we shall see what happens at the tournament.

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
Last year i shot a factory round by Black Hills at 32 grn.  
you must have meant a 52 grainer? as black hills does not load a 32 .

I personally will not use anything less then a 50 grain bullet on coyotes .  the load i mentioned allows even not so perfect placement with a dead coyote as the results . coyotes dont always allow us to make perfect shot placement , thats why i searched so hard for a bullet load como that would give me the results we all strive for .Its still not the perfect load ( i dont think there is such a thing) I dont like tracking wounded dogs , i would much rather be spending my time heading to my next stand.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:02:32 PM by Jerry malbeck »
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:11:40 PM »
No worries shooter, stick with that .243, it is absolutely the best yote round, in my opinion, i have been shooting yotes with it for almost 15 years, and it makes for a great back up deer gun and youth gun. i highly recommend the hornady 58gr vmax, by the way, devastating, but forget the pelt, entry hole is 6 inches, Lol.
my reason for .223, is simply that i am shooting an AR gun, and want the .223 for its availability and economy. a third the cost. i usually only have two vmax's in the mag followed by a bunch of fmj. i would prefer a .243  R-25, but i like to rock and roll a little bit from time to time, and thats way too expensive in .243.
Lol did i just jack my own thread?

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »
Man ive had great luck with my 223 if i do my part and dont hit an edge Ive never had a runner. I shoot a wide range of bullets/grains. I love the 40gr vmax, 45gr rem hp and the 55gr tnt. The 45gr rem has been the best so far but I need to handload them for a accurate round. All the yotes I have shot with them only had an entrance wound no exit and they are cheap to buy loaded but I can only get 1moa with them. I need to shot something with my 40gr sierras, they are very accurate.

If you are looking at a 243 in an AR platform Id look long and hard at the 243/25wssm :drool: It works with the smaller lighter ar15 frame and is just as fast or faster then the 243 win. It will be my next gun im sure of that. Im buying a 243 bolt or single for my girl friend next. ;)

Offline Straight Shooter

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:16 AM »
No worries shooter, stick with that .243, it is absolutely the best yote round, in my opinion, i have been shooting yotes with it for almost 15 years, and it makes for a great back up deer gun and youth gun. i highly recommend the hornady 58gr vmax, by the way, devastating, but forget the pelt, entry hole is 6 inches, Lol.
my reason for .223, is simply that i am shooting an AR gun, and want the .223 for its availability and economy. a third the cost. i usually only have two vmax's in the mag followed by a bunch of fmj. i would prefer a .243  R-25, but i like to rock and roll a little bit from time to time, and thats way too expensive in .243.
Lol did i just jack my own thread?

I hear ya... you can't beat the economy of the .223 round.  I've been grabbing ammo when it's available... and cheap.  Doing this, I've been able to accumulate quite a bit of V-Max and hollowpoint.  I also love the "rock and roll" factor of the AR platform.  :mgun2:  Looking forward to trying the 55-75 gr loads in the .243.

Offline Straight Shooter

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
Man ive had great luck with my 223 if i do my part and dont hit an edge Ive never had a runner. I shoot a wide range of bullets/grains. I love the 40gr vmax, 45gr rem hp and the 55gr tnt. The 45gr rem has been the best so far but I need to handload them for a accurate round. All the yotes I have shot with them only had an entrance wound no exit and they are cheap to buy loaded but I can only get 1moa with them. I need to shot something with my 40gr sierras, they are very accurate.

If you are looking at a 243 in an AR platform Id look long and hard at the 243/25wssm :drool: It works with the smaller lighter ar15 frame and is just as fast or faster then the 243 win. It will be my next gun im sure of that. Im buying a 243 bolt or single for my girl friend next. ;)

A .243 WSSM upper has possibilities.  Is Olympic Arms the only maker?  They don't have the best rep, so I wanted some options.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]