Advertisement

Author Topic: 1  (Read 9711 times)

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
Re: Tracking down a mountain lion on foot
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
I've seen where they laid up 300 yards fom the road, and I've seen where they crossed the road, a 2 mile wide face, the lower road, a major drainage, the next road, a major ridge, another major drainage, another road, another major ridgeline, and literally into the next county! 4 miles crow and probably 10 miles ground... still going... straight line!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline caseyv21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
i've tracked down probably 5 or 6 bobcats, and last year i finally tracked down my first cougar. I'm heading up above spokane in the morning to see if i can't cut some tracks

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:36 AM »
I met a guy one year and he said that is how he hunts them. Follows the tracks and he claims the cat will show up right behind you. I guess they do not like to be followed. :dunno:

THis technique makes sense.  How many stories have you heard of people that got lost, came across their own tracks, and found cougar tracks IN their prints (this happened to my Mom in the 60s when my folks first moved to WA)?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
I've seen where they laid up 300 yards fom the road, and I've seen where they crossed the road, a 2 mile wide face, the lower road, a major drainage, the next road, a major ridge, another major drainage, another road, another major ridgeline, and literally into the next county! 4 miles crow and probably 10 miles ground... still going... straight line!

As I understand it, an adult male cougar has a "home range" of about 20 square miles...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »
Insert Quote
Quote from: rainshadow1 on Yesterday at 06:37:28 PM

As I understand it, an adult male cougar has a "home range" of about 20 square miles...

Don't they also change their "home range" if they are pushed out of the area by a bigger Cat?

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »
Insert Quote
I've seen where they laid up 300 yards from the road, and I've seen where they crossed the road, a 2 mile wide face, the lower road, a major drainage, the next road, a major ridge, another major drainage, another road, another major ridgeline, and literally into the next county! 4 miles crow and probably 10 miles ground... still going... straight line!

Don't they also change their "home range" if they are pushed out of the area by a bigger Cat?

I have heard that too..  That wouldn't matter if you were on a fresh track though.  In theory, you should be tracking him in his home range.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
I've had cat tracks over the top of mine up near trout lake. I was rifle hunting with my father in law. some one gut shot a cow in the snow on the wrong side of the road. I followed the tracks in the snow back to the correct side. I saw the big cat trax i thought cool I'll find the elk and shoot a cougar. The tracks kept clover leafing in the snow and when i  saw the cat trax over mine i thought the cat might have a different menu in mind! :yike: It started snowing and getting dark. My glasses fogging make me pretty uncomfortable. I decided it was too dark and time to get back to the road. I was so close to a herd of elk  all i could smell was elk not the trees.. It had me grabbing cotton! One of the reasons i had Laser eye surgery, best investment ever.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »
Insert Quote
I've seen where they laid up 300 yards from the road, and I've seen where they crossed the road, a 2 mile wide face, the lower road, a major drainage, the next road, a major ridge, another major drainage, another road, another major ridgeline, and literally into the next county! 4 miles crow and probably 10 miles ground... still going... straight line!

I have heard that too..  That wouldn't matter if you were on a fresh track though.  In theory, you should be tracking him in his home range.

Depends on the prey density, and terrain, but try more like 50 -150 square miles! Varies by many factors. ( 10 x 10 miles is 100 sq. So is 5 x 20, etc.)

Typically a large male will hold a geographic area, and drive all other males that he can from it, for as long as his physical prowess will allow. He'll allow females to live inside his home range, but the females won't allow other females to live inside their home range, so it's usually a few female home ranges inside a male's home range. They all guard their territories from each other, and from any transient cats, male or female.

Cougars become transient when Mom kicks them out (20 months, give or take) and wander until they find an unclaimed area. Transients are usually males, because the Dominant Tom will allow the females to stay, so if there's room, they won't have to wander like the young Toms. (That's why most trouble making Cougars are younger Toms.)

It's a life of solitary wandering and ferocious defense of territory. They interact all the time, but it's not "social" like you'd think.

It's possible, with the current overpopulation going on in the west, that the size of home ranges is shrinking, and also possible that they're being forced to tolerate each other's company more regularly. Also possible that littermates are staying together and hunting as tandem teams for longer than they used to.

Research on Cougars is sparce. They travel alot, and home is where they hang their... well, wherever they feel like! Makes study really difficult.

They're a very cool animal!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
Cool info Rainshadow. I know you have done your homework on this subject.  In places like MT and ID where they still hunt them effectively (with dogs), the ranges probably are more like 50 to 100 miles.  In talking with a central Montana outfitter this summer, he seemed to be of the opinion that due to population densities they had bigger home ranges there.
 Like you said though, with the current cougar populations here in Eastern WA, I'm sticking with the 20 square mile number locally.  I know they are beginning to get driven out of the Blues down into the sagelands and wheatfields, and even the subdivisions.  There was one sighted by my house just last year. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]