collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leasing land for deer and turkeys  (Read 4084 times)

Offline groundhog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Leasing land for deer and turkeys
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
My brother and I want to lease some land for deer and turkeys north of Spokane. We both have two young kids and it is mostly so that we can have a fun place to take them. We were thinking of advertising in the local papers but I thought I would also ask if anyone here had any ideas. I know I probably won't get much of a response but I thought I would throw it out there. Thanks guys

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Leasing land for deer and turkeys
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
If I were you I would maybe ask people on here where you should be hunting area wise and then take a drive over this summer and talk to the land owners in that area. You might be surprised how asking way in advance and letting them know your bringing kids will do.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »
would you be looking for whitetails? between the youth seasons for turkeys and deer up there, you'd probably have little trouble finding public ground to hunt with little to no pressure wothout having to drop a bunch of coin on access. with that said, i think anywhere around colville or the outskirts would get you into plenty of either critter you're after.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »
Just a suggestion but maybe you could recruit some of the folks in here to help pay for a lease then decide who will hunt when and spread it out between the folks over several seasons (Modern, Archery, ML etc...)

If I were you I would get ahold of the real estate companies in the area you want to hunt and find out who the large tract owners are or get a plat map from the county and that will tell you their contact information as well.

I have found that if I volunteer some of my time during the off season (no hunting) to the land owners, they are more willing to allow me access during the season.

The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Skycruiser

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:41:03 PM »
I like the  idea of getting a good lease and then having various people pitch in for the various seasons.

Offline hogsniper

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »
It has already happened to all the good duck hunting land here on the wetside....either leased or owned by liberals.....I dispise the idea but thats just my opinion....Take care   Justin

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 06:30:46 AM »
Some people may want to lease so that they can be more assured that they will be the only ones hunting that piece of ground, I do agree that in the long run it is worse for the average joe but as long as you have people with disposable income who make an offer to lease a place you'll have this problem.  I just think someone had a good idea, I know that I wouldn't be willing to pay for a lease to hunt whitetails, there are enough of them running around on public land. 

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
I understand what some of you are saying about not wanting hunting to become a rich mans sport and how leasing will cut down on the available private land that you can get permission on. I don't think that hunting well become a rich mans sport becuase we have so much public land to hunt here in the west. I do think that folks will start leasing up private property. All you have to do is look at other states where they already have leased up most of the good property.

95 % of the hunting I  have done in my life was on public land. Most of my experiences on public land have been good but recently I have had a few bad experiences. We roosted a bird the night before and were in position well before daylight only to have it shot out of the tree at day break. We had a person sneak up on us while we were calling and aim at our decoys. We had a person look at us through his rifle scope.

With my kids in tow the idea of hunting private land is looking better and better. We will still hunt more public land than anything but I think it would be pretty cool to have a lease where we could pattern animals and not have to worry about safety or interference from other hunters. Sure I would rather get permision and not have to pay but there is something to be said for being able to rest a piece of property and have control over how much it is hunted. Just my 2 cents  :) :) :)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
Getting a group of people together to lease a property would be worth it for you if you were hunting in Washington, other states might not work out so well. Take Montana for instance, for deer I hunt a 24,000 acre ranch that the land owner gets $18,000 for each year from a outfitter. Of course the outfitter makes that up the first week in most cases charging his clients but for your group to lease it may be okay if you draw, but what if you dont? To keep it simple lets say you gathered 18 people to lease the property, $1000/ea doesnt sound so bad to access prime deer hunting land, but your not going to draw each year. How many years are you willing to pay that $1000 without a tag? Of course that would make the hunting even better when you actually did draw but it might get spendy before you do.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline SHANE(WA)

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »
 Groundhog, I live 30 min north of Spokane, there are alot of land owners willing to let people hunt around here.The farther you go north the easier it is and less pressure.There is alot of paper land around here that is awsome for deer and turkeys and doesnt get much pressure. Need any help in finding some areas let me know.

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 07:05:45 AM »
Thanks Shane,
That's mighty nice of you. My girls are 9 and 11 years old. My 11 year old has been hunting since she was 8 and the 9 year old is signed up for hunters safety that starts Feb 2. I get more enjoyment taking them, then any of the hunting I do on my own. One of these days I am going to load em up and head over your direction for some scouting. Thanks for the offer I might take you up on it! :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]