collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ruger 10/22's?  (Read 16693 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: ruger 10/22's?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
theres a weight that gets hung on the bolt handle in order to time  it properly. the 17 has a little more juice behind it than the 22...check it out here...
http://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.html
it's a must in order for it to be reliably safe.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
hhmmm, haven't seen that, makes sense though. I do know a guy who just slapped a barrel on and hasn't had any problems that I know of.

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
jackalope...they sell that conversion at cabelas.

Offline dbllunger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »
The 17 may be faster but the bullet is lighter.  I would think a barrel switch only would work just fine.  Kind of like a 40/357 Sig.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
The 17 may be faster but the bullet is lighter.  I would think a barrel switch only would work just fine.  Kind of like a 40/357 Sig.

alls i know is what i read...
: The 17 Hornady Mach 2 (HM2) is a 17 caliber version of the 22 LR rimfire cartridge. It shoots a heck of a lot faster and flatter, however (click Data at left). The blow-back semi-automatic Ruger 10/22 needs more bolt mass to time its fire, eject, and rechamber cycle to work right with this faster shooting 17 HM2 round... Merely installing a 17 HM2 barrel is not sufficient. Our 17 HM2 Heavy Bolt Handle Assembly adds the necessary mass... a simple, elegant solution.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 10:36:09 PM »
those numbers are really good out of the .17

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 08:01:58 AM »
the 22mag is a bit longer and larger dia case then the 22lr. if your bannana mags are jamming check the little pins on the front and rear of the mag, if they have any plastic burrs they will not seat right and they will jam....sometimes it is an easy fix.....not always.

I would 100% shoot a coyote with a 22lr just watch the range. most every trapper alive carries a 22lr for killing trapped critters.

I have a pretty decked out 10/22 it sports a bull barrel and a snazzy stock. in all honesty it is not much if any more accurate then it was when new......looks cool, but to do it over I would put a bdc scope on it for even money and leave the rifle stock. there is a lot of room to improve the trigger....I would spend that money.

when I hunt with my 10/22 I use only ruger 10rd mags. they are reliable as the sunrise and don't get hung up on stuff.

Offline LEN

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
Haven't been on in a while, god where do I start on 10-22.
I have several cost $500 LOL how about $200 for a jard trigger $200 for the barrel $80 for the bolt squared and another $225 for the stock, got the action yet. Then ya gotta scope it.
17M2 conversion, did it for the wife,  she likes to go bang bang bang and no bolt. And yes you need the weighted bolt or you WILL get a out of battery case split that will take fingers off and blow the mag out.
Yes if you are a tool man you can make a 10-22 into a combo 22LR, 17M2, 22 mag and 17HMR worth it most likely not.
Yes their is a 10-22 mag but it is out of production and getting costly, like a used one for around $600.
As to the 1/2" at 100 yards with the 10-22 even a very tricked out one I call BS, close to MOA with the right run of ammo maybe.
Are they fun to shoot YUP but on Yotes MMMMMMMMmmm if it's the only thing and I would limit to under 50 yards and perfect shot with HVHP. JMO

IF you want to learn about 10-22's and how to Jazz them up look at Rimfire central and read to your eyes fall out.

LEN

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »
Yes, Ruger made a 10/22 MAGNUM.
That is past tense. It is no longer made. They are selling *used* online for $500-600. The later models have serious issues with the bolts cracking. That plus lack of sales caused it's demise. The early (single extractor) models are great.

Yes, you can convert a 10/22 to .17HM2 or the 10/22MAGNUM to .17HMR.
HOWEVER, it is not as simple as just swapping the barrel. These are blowback rifles, and the .17's have a lot more oomph (and pressure). If you don't stiffen the recoil springs or add weight to the bolt, you will take the action out of time and will experience case ruptures.
There are kits out there that include extra-heavy bolt handles to take care of said problem CCI is now labeling their 17HM2 with a warning that it is only to be fired out of rifles originally chambered for 17HM2.
There have been several instances of people getting injured for incorrectly re-chambering their 10/22s....do it right, or risk injury!

Than being said, I don't think 22lr is a good choice for Coyotes. With the right loads (velociters, interceptors, or other HYPER velocity solids) you *might* get away with it at close range--but your success rate will be minimal.

The HMR is a better choice for sure, but I still don't feel confident in it's abilities on coyote size game--keep it to head shots only, IMHO. I don't think I'd even attempt a 'yote with my HMR.

The 22mag seems to work okay for me....I wouldn't take my 22mag out specifically to hunt coyotes, but I wouldn't pass up a good shot within 75yds or so if the opportunity arose. The new 30gr +V's for the 22mag are very accurate, pretty flat shooting, and have about 50ftlbs more energy that the HMR. Along with the heavier bullet (30grs @ 2,200fps vs. the HMRs 20grs @ 2,375fps) and a larger wound channel, I think the 22mag is the smarter choice. I still try for head/neck shots.

Again, any time I walk out the door knowing full well I'm calling coyotes I have a centerfire in my hand...it works better, and I feel much better about it. Besides, .223 is as cheap to reload as quality HMR or WMR rounds are to purchase....so it just makes sense!
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

catwithboost

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 09:12:53 PM »
I just got a 10/22 nd looked at cabela's site and they make a 60 grain 22lr.

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
I just got a 10/22 nd looked at cabela's site and they make a 60 grain 22lr.

Most 22lr's wont stabilize that bullet well. Most people complain of key-holing at longer distances--myself included. None of my 22lr's will shoot the 60grain SSS's worth a darn. Aren't worth the extra $$$ IMHO. You're better off with something like a velocitor or interceptor (HYPER velocity 40grain).

Also, FWIW, there are dozens of places to buy rimfire ammo cheaper than Cabelas.  ;)
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 05:27:14 PM »
I shot one coyote with a 22, it was a remington pump so not nearly as powerful as a 10/22!
dead in the chest at 50 yards. it kinda hopped and trotted off. I killed it about 6 months later (with a 223) and found the bullet, penetrated about 1/2 inch. now, before ya start in on me, I killed several deer as a child in a very poor farm area, 0ver 40 years ago.
I am not saying you cant kill a coyote with a 22. but you better have the best set up, best shot and animal position. and you are still gonna wound and lose 75-80 percent in my opinion. I would never even consider it, and would not hunt with someone doing it.
my 2 cents
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »
Bofire...Why would a Pump 22 be less powerful then a 10/22?  They shoot the same cartridge.

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
Bofire...Why would a Pump 22 be less powerful then a 10/22?  They shoot the same cartridge.
Because you cant pull the trigger and fill them with lead as fast as you can with a 10/22.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal