collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trouble in the woods.  (Read 6839 times)

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Trouble in the woods.
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »
So this happened in Sept. but has been bugging me and I need so opinions.
My buddy and I were  Bow hunting the Stampede pass area for a couple days and one morning Which just happened to be the first weekend of the season.. as we were driving to our spot there was a truck parked in the middle of the road. I sat behind him for a couple minutes finally after thinking the truck might be empty because there was no movement in the truck I turned on my brights to see better. Still not being able to tell If the truck was occupied my friend got out to see and also if there was a way around. As he approches the truck a guy jumps out of the truck and starts yelling at us. "Can't you see that I am here" " can't you see that I am here". Over and over. Now I replied " Yeah I can see you are in the way"  He sits there for a second then gets back in his truck. After about two minutes of nothing I finally see the brake lights come on and he gets out of the way. As we pass him he shouts some words I will not repeat.
My buddy and I finally get to our spot and low  and behold here comes a truck. thinking the worst I got myself prepared for a confrontation. Now Luckily it was different truck. These guys park next to us and they pursue to tell the same story.

I mean that guy got back on the road to block it again. Now I can understand if it was near the end of the road but there is at least 5 miles of road to go. Does he really think he owns  the rights to hunt all that himself?

After talking to the guys in the new truck we agreed to check out each others vehicles if one was to come back before the other to make sure they were not messed with.
After talking for awhile  some shots were fired in the canyon right where that truck was parked. We figured he was pissed that we were there and decided to ruin the hunting by firing a gun off about 10 times.
Well we got back before the other gentlemen after some really fun messing with a small 5 pt. and some cows, But I left a note on the guys car to tell him  that everything looked good when we left but if he had any problems to give me a call.
About a week later I got a call from that guy thanking me for my sportsmanship and such. We talked for awhile and it turned out the gentleman was the president for the western Washington chapter of the RMEF. Never know who you are going to meet.

Anyway what I guess what this story was about have any of you ever had a problem like that and what would you have done?
If its brown knock it down

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Trouble in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
Sounds like you did what I would have.  I'd been a bit nervous all day about my vehicle.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
Almost the same thing happened to a freind of mine and I several years ago in the Toutle. We had drawn archery elk tags and were up towards the base of StHelens. We drove past a truck parked to the side on a very narrow road and continued on for a couple miles unitl we got to where we hunted. After hunting for a couple hours we headed back to our camp and came up on this same truck, except this time he was parked in the middle of the road. Well there was no getting by him and it was the only way in or out. We sat there for a minute and waited while the guy was sitting looking down a clearcut. I got out and walked up to drivers door and asked the guy if he would move so we could get by. He moved a coat on his seat to reveal a revolver and told me "no, I'm not going to move, you will just have to wait, I'm watching a deer down there" he then said "you guys drove by and scared off a deer I was looking at earlier so you can just go wait" I told him I was going to report him to the police for threatening me with a firearm and that I was going to go call on my radio and get the rest of my hunting party to come help me handle the situation. I walked back to my truck and got on my radio and the guy got out with his gun and stood there for a second then got back in his truck and very slowly started down the road. I thought we were going to have to trade lead for a second. I went to town and called the police but nothing ever came of it.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
I too have had several similar incidents happen, the difference is I have a beater Toyota 4 runner, throw her in low lock, down around through the ditch. I have hunted several western states, with western washington being the worst for hunter ediquette. I now know why the east siders cringe when they find out hunting season is rolling around. You ought to try Vail during deer season, lifted up F-350's, 30 mph riding up your ass, thank god for road closures.
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline jstamp

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
I have several incidents a year like those already posted, most of which are on the west side, usually vail, mossy, or the winston unit. I have never had anyone threaten me with a gun though. If that were to happen there would be one less *censored* in the world, because I would shoot. My life is more important than theirs, at least to me. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this, but I take threats on my life very seriously, especially if a firearm is involved. I'm sure a few of you guys that know me understand why.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »
I hear ya J, believe me I had my 92F in hand, door open and was seriously thinking it was going to come down to pulling the trigger. All I could think of though was "am I going to go to jail for this"

If I ever get checked by the police or F&W while archery hunting I'm going to be in trouble because ever since then I carry a gun on me and its locked, loaded and easily accessable.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
It's a bit off topic but, if someone is threatening your life and they have a gun on them (in hand) you DO NOT have to wait for them to shoot first. I believe there is some case law on this, maybe shawn could provide some more of the details, since that's his area of expertise.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:21:58 PM by jstamp »

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »
A few years ago I was backpacking in on a road closure on the coast, archery elk. Every year several people are in there, mostly the same. My partner and I were heading up on a Friday when we ran in a forest service employee who told us a logging contractor parked thier trackhoe across the road at least 8 miles to the gate. Apperently he knew them and that was thier area during rifle season, they didn't want the archery hunters in there. Sure enough we got up there and and no way around  >:(, loggers went home for the weekend. All I am going to say is I've run one a once or twice of times  :chuckle:  :chuckle:.

We got the the gate and there were several people in there already and I still think about, what if someone got hurt and couldn't get out or if an elk was knocked down and they couldn't get it out cause some jack ass blocked people in. An elk would have spoiled in 80* weather for sure.

Its not like someone pulled a gun on me but it was crappy

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
No kidding. Displaying a weapon with intent to intimidate is a gross misdemeanor. Intimidate me with a gun and someone is going down. Center of mass until the threat is diminished.

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions. 

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
No kidding. Displaying a weapon with intent to intimidate is a gross misdemeanor. Intimidate me with a gun and someone is going down. Center of mass until the threat is diminished.

DOUBLE TAP or 2 to the body 1 to head!!!

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
The guy in the stampede didnt happen to be with 2 other rigs one a jeep??? There was a camp right on one of the roads we drove up.I think one gut had the ok to use a crossbow.Never had any trouble with them but they said they were onto elk right on the road just past there camp.So i could maybe see em do that for that reason.....

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
"So i could maybe see em do that for that reason....." I understand what you are saying, but I can't ever, like as in never see when it's ok to block a public access road, period. If you find game near roads then you run the risk of having cars come by deal with it. I don't car if you are a disabled hunter.

While the guy broke the law showing you his gun as a threat I'm pretty sure you'd be in jail right now if you shot at him without him picking up that gun. If given an opportunity to back off and you don't take it, even if that guy is in the wrong, you'll still be judged by 12 and may lose. Now if he picks it up and starts toward you you are getting a lot closer to no worries. A lot closer still if when he does you draw down on him and give him a verbal that if he lifts it or continues forward you'll assume he means to kill you.

The laws are might tough on the guy who pulls the trigger and you have to do most anything possible before you get a free pass. Scary situation phool and you did the right thing.

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 11:31:14 AM »
I'm with huntnphool on this one. I carry self protection any time I set foot in the woods. Not for bears either. I've just seen too many weirdos/unsavory types in strange places.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »
I reported to the NRA ILA that we are not allowed to carry pistols during archery season in WA, even with a concealed license...I sent it last month and got a response the next day. Sounds like they might be looking into challenging it in court...we shall see. I would post the response, but I dumped it after I got it.

I agree...too many "strange" strangers out in the woods.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »
This is not that far off from southwest wa IMHO just substitute meth for whiskey..........

I carry a gun. :chuckle:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlUcUfHkdYk&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qz4L1O84_I&feature=related[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:04:13 PM by Passion »
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »
Now that is funny but incomplete :chuckle:

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
No the guy on stampede was not around anywhere you could have a camp.
If its brown knock it down

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
My dad ran into a bunch of meth heads up in pleasant valley one year when he was hunting. They wandered into his camp and were looking at all of his propane tanks, they saw his colt and left.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »
 I've never had a road blocked on me, for long anyways. One thing that makes me so mad I feel like declaring war on 'em is the potheads in the NE corner of the State that run their crops into OUR National Forest. I had a couple guys I was so sure were up to that who tried to intimidate me while hunting that I reported it several years ago. They stopped to chat while I was standing next to my cousin's jeep, waiting for him to get back down the hill. I don't know if they could see, I'm guessing they could, that my gun was leaning between me and the rig -they were on the other side of the rig. The conversation started out OK enough, but they just started asking a whole lot of questions about where we were camping, hunting, how many, on and on and in an increasingly belligerant tone. Finally, when I was about ready to tell them to get lost, they said "hopefully we don't see you around here again" and drove off. I'm like WTF is that all about?? I then thought to myself, we were fairly close to the border of the NF, within a mile or two and after talking to the local law, they had been having more issues than they could handle managing a "group of lawless folks", breaking and entering and stealing to finance their pasttimes growing pot. Get mad just thinking about it!!!  >:( >:(

Lazy lowlife frigging bastages  >:( >:(

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:58 PM »
Ive hunted the Stampede Pass area during rifle elk.  Great area to hunt, but some real winners out there.  Thats why I switched to archery, and a new area.  There are a few camps that are there in the same spot every year.  I think they do more drinking than hunting.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
My personal favorite are the folks in King county that have decided that building a shanty town in the middle of the snoqualmie tree farm  and refusing to talk to strangers and staring me down when im 15 feet away from them is a good idea. 

To top it off they have children out there with them in November in the rain and cold and none of them will speak to me a stranger.  Its the most F*cked up thing I ever seen.  They creep me out to no end.  I called the cops and took them to the place where you go into the thick stuff to see em and The guy looked at me at said he wasn't going in :chuckle: Cant say I blame him.

This is 100% true anyone else find them before??

I was freaked out of my mind the first time I walked into there camp.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »
Dman, A group of 4 of us came on a grow that had been recently cropped on a general season hunt in Ferry County, this is 6 or more years back. Just over the river from Kettle a ways. South slopes with water... done deal guys are growin all over the place.

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »
do any harvesting? :chuckle:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:10:29 PM by mossback91 »

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
 Great to know they still have a handle on the situation in Ferry Co.  ;)

On the Snoqualmie when I hunted it last year and a cop drove by me and asked if I'd seen anyone suspicious, wearing a tarp?!? I was like, the only thing I've seen wearing a tarp is a dead deer  ;D

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 09:20:13 PM »
This is the main reason that I'm going to build my own spot for hunting... I am sick and tired of these pukes in the woods.. We need to take back our woods, and get rid of this type of garbage..

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
On the Snoqualmie when I hunted it last year and a cop drove by me and asked if I'd seen anyone suspicious, wearing a tarp?!?

Its No joke and they are scary as hell.

I also found a poached Cow and Doe in the farm.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 09:45:49 PM by Passion »

Offline runningboard

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 02:14:15 AM »
Met an older seriously pissed off guy on a remote road in the Kaniksu forest, he was mad 'cause he cut down a healthy LARGE green tree across the road behind him to block others from getting into "his" hunting spot. since I was in my green fire engine & an employee of the forest circus at the time I cleared the road and followed it to see if there were any other surprises and found the old guy at the end hopping mad that I cleared the road!
Romans 14:2 he who eats only vegetables is weak
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 06:18:49 AM »
Hopefully you busted his azz.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]