collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting partners  (Read 11337 times)

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
Re: Hunting partners
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
I kinda like the idea of telling them to meet you over there and giving them bad, wrong, way off directions....put'em in another county... :chuckle: unless he already has a good idea from the pictures where you're going if so, Dump Him.  This is too serious an issue to include people you can't trust.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »
I agree with a lot of the guys here that say to cancel on him and the rest of the horde.  The spot if it is good WILL be ruined. You get a good idea what kind of character this person posses just by the fact that he opened it up to all comers. Just think if you went out just with him and you were sucessful and next year he told all his buddies exactly where the honey hole was...I'd be Pissed >:( You guys would be reading about me being a freak out in the weeds. :chuckle:
It might end up looking like Colokum or the Teanaway during deer and elk seasons. Man the population in those areas is more than in town!
I think I would maybe do in interview type hujnt for other things and see what you come up with. You know, go out for cats or fall bear, yotes etc, and see if the people can keep there mouth shut. I've hunted with people in the past , elk hunt ruined, deer hunts ruined, so I don't hunt with very many people.

I have to give props to my newest hunting partner.  It was planned to just be 2 people and stayed as such, I enjoyed it even if we did get skunked.

So yeah, I'd say cut out and start over...IMO

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline huntinhick

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »
Well I have to admit I have it made if my hunting partner invites someone else I will just ground her!!  thought really besided my dad my soon to be 12 year old daughter is the best hunting partner I have had in 10 years!!  I agree total cancel it and don't invite him again.  I have had that happen twice when planning trips and ended up going by my self instead.

Carl

Offline Redmist

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
Tell your pal that you are gay and was really planning on it just being the two of you together. 

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
Sounds to me like you don't trust him now even if it were just the two of you. As you knowif you went this year and were successful next year he would have everyone and their mother over there and totally ruin all your time and effort put in. Tell him your not going and just go alone or find someone you can trust. I had a guy I knew when I was younger that asked me later if I needed a hunting partner I said I already had one after finding out how he was when only grouse hunting. I went with my gut feelings as he seemed to be the type to just ride my coattails.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
Tell your pal that you are gay and was really planning on it just being the two of you together. 

Be careful of what you ask for..... :chuckle:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
Sounds to me like he is the kind of guy that swears never to tell anyone about the "secret spot" then turns around and draws a map for fishing and hunting news. Just uninvite him and take me along instead. :rolleyes:
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »
About 10 years ago I took my brother to a bear spot I had scouted out and I ended up taking a nice colored bear. Then the next year he took some of his friends  >:( and it ruined that spot BIG TIME. I severly chewed his ass and didn't take him anywhere for at least 6-7 years. We hunt together again but I am still careful about where we go and I think he gets it now. If he wasn't my brother we would have never hunted together again.   >:( >:(

Get out while you can.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »
sounds like he's not going now and it's back to just you.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »
PacificNorthwestHunter,  so...did you ever say anything to your friend?

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 10:46:33 PM »
Bail, had a very similar experience, mine was on a Black Bear station, a very productive one, I might add.  A friend I was doing it with, had first brought a couple folks (relatives) from the lower 48 to hunt the sites.  Not a problem, cause we already selected the bear we wanted for the year and besides they'd never be able to find it or even be able to utilize it without us later on.  Then I learn at different times a couple other guys mentioned they got bears, sounded like like a similar spot that I have been using for years.  Come to find out my old partner was taken folks from his work on separate trips, under the pretenses to me, he was stocking the barrel.  Well need less to say, the area was pretty well shoot out and had I move my locations and kept it very secretive of who went.  I severed my ties with him right then and there and do not communicate at all.  Don't get me wrong, I had stations where we would always take friends, kids, etc... anytime, but not to the "Honey Hole", that we agreed only our kids and us were going to be the ones that hunted it........  Again Bail on the guy....  or take him somewhere else. 

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 11:33:08 PM »
Sorry it has taken so long to get back. First off thanks for all the advice and help. We took a trip down to the sportsmans show this last weekend and had a good talk. I basicly explained where I was coming from and how I felt about what had happend. He seemed to think it was not that big of a deal and that he was not serious about inviting all those people. Needless to say he wont be going with me this year, he seem's bummed but I think it's better then me losing a good hunting spot.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »
I think you did the right thing. Its not worth all the headaches in the long run!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 6 Point

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 07:23:46 AM »
My  hunting partner of 30 years and I let a guy go with us to a "good" place about 20 years ago after he begged and promised it would never be shown.  The next year we drove into our camp spot after scouting to find 3 trailers, and 4 guys setting up tents.  He says hi and hoped we didn't mind if He brought a few family and friends up there( 9 total) plus Me and partner.  Luckily, we were in a camper and knew of other places in the unit.  Haven't talked to the guy since.  Best move You can make is tell Him NO GO

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »
Good hunting partners don't ask if they can go, they get invited.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]