collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: nockes?  (Read 12382 times)

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
Re: light-up nockes?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »
Did you say bob or boob? All right I hope nobody's offended that I said that. LOL
at my age any of the above :chuckle:

sisu

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
After all the input on this and that etc. Here is a comment made by Glenn St. Charles(many of the archers in America need to know who this fantastic man is)
FA/DM: Before I ask my final question Glenn, I want to publicly thank you for all you have done for the sport of Bowhunting. If not for pioneers and dreamers such as you the sport would not be where it is today. So, to end our interview, what advice or words would you like to share with our audience?

Live life to the fullest, the walk in the woods is a short one, leave things better than you found them, If you are a hunter be proud of being a HUNTER not a KILLER. If you can make even the smallest difference, it is all worth the walk

link for credit

Glenn is still alive and doing as well as can be expected. Here is another link for you to look at. Glenn and his children went with technology in the beginning but after a few years gave it up and went back to their roots of trad archery. They personally don't shoot modern archery but do support all archers. Please look that this next link so you can see the fight that the "old time" archers had to go through to get archery legal as a hunting mode. This link also shows that firearms hunters teamed up with the HSUS to kill off any success archers would have in the United States. :jacked:
Glenn's views

Offline Snapshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
This thread has been a delight, in that it has featured tasteful, even-keeled debate. My hat is off to those who have participated.

Lowedog (I believe it was) asked something like, "Why aren't there modern guys who complain about technology taking time in the field away from them." There are! They are out there asking, "How did it ever get so out of hand?" Among them are former WDFW commissioners Kelly from Kettle Falls and Jerry from Wenatchee who have been (and I hope will continue to be) vocal about the impact that 1000 yard shot capabilities has had on rifle hunting.

Another post (I forget who made it; that is not important) said that they rub shoulders with lots of traditionalists and has not heard them espousing ideas of needing to curtail technology. I suggest that many feel that the "cat is already out of the bag" and nothing can be done to "get the train back on the track". But with each and every nip here and cut there in our seasons I think we'll hear more and more people say, "Now just a darned minute! Don't lump me in with them. I'm not killing so danged many animals that you need to keep me from taking my walk in the woods."

Ribka & Boneaddict. You guys made some fines posts that give a glimpse of what makes you tick and why you choose a stick. I hope many, many people will ponder your words. And of those, that a few will spark with a connection.

Ray, keep up the good work. I must mention that a stringent requirement that wood be part of the working limb of a bow would have cost the Khans many a battle won with the power of horn bows. Aside from that I could not agree with your points in this thread more.

I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
Actually my point was more to say that there are more traditional styles of rifles like the old model 94 Winchester that a lot of guys still enjoy hunting with.  Those guys are lumped into modern rifle season and we all know that an open sighted model 94 is a far cry from todays modern rifles.  Traditional archers are lumped in with compound archers.  We are all hunters.   

Very few people can make a 1000 yd shot with a rifle in a hunting situation. The fact that a rifle can be built to do it does not mean that any shmo can pick one up head to the mtns and shoot a 1000yds across a basin or even 500 yards for that matter.  I would say that it takes the same type of commitment to be proficient enough to kill from extreme ranges as it does to hunting with primitive gear. 

To me each form of hunting is just that.  A form of hunting.  One way is no better than another. 

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline AKBowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
I know where we should draw the line in technology during archery season...bows under 37" axle to axle are illegal. No overdraws. No moveable parts attached to the brace of bow including bubble levels. No releases.

I shoot a compound but only b/c I am not good enough to shoot a recurve. I need more practice. I wish I could be that good in the field and i envy the traditional hunters out there. I am looking forward to the day i commit to traditional.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal