collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kenetrek boots  (Read 20050 times)

Offline bowtech721

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Kenetrek boots
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
Im finally gonna drop some coin on a good pair of boots and kinda have my mind set on the kenetrek mountain extremes but not sure whether or not to got with the 400s or the uninsulated... I hunt on the west side mainly and do a lot of bow stuff early in the season so i dont want to be hot but i also dont wanna freeze later on... right now i have a pair of cheaper uninsulateds and a pair of 800s but i want to just have one better pair. Do you guys think 400s would be better overall or uninsulated?

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
Re: Kenetrek boots
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I am looking at them too. I want them for Montana this fall, but am not sure of the 400's in September being to warm :dunno: :dunno: :)

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »
I had been looking at them and liked them but i tried them on at the sportsmans show and that sold me  :)

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
Ya I looked at them at the sports show too!! I am not sure witch ones to get though. Tough to find one boot for all conditions. All the guides in MOnt that i was with loved them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »
I have a pair of Meindl's that are 400 gram thinsulate and are not too hot for me. I've been wearing them at work to break them in and have been comfortable. They're not kenetreks but have the same insulation.
I think BC Chaser on here has the 400 mountain extremes and loves them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
The 400gram mountain extremes are in my opinion the best boot out there.  The do not require any break in.  I strapped mine up for the first time in early September and finally hung them up for a bit last week.  I never got one blister, hot spot or tired feet in them.  I hunted in a foot of snow for about a week without gators and they were dry at the end of each day minus a little foot prespiration.  They give you great ankle support, and unparreled traction.  This kinda sounds like an ad or something, but I just really love the kenetrek, but not the price.  They are spendy but if taken care of should last a long time.  I havent heard anything about warrenty but dont know anyone thats had any problems that would require a warranty.  400gram seems to be a perfect blend for all season conditions.  Check them out try them on and make a decision.  I have been burned out on Danners for awhile and have been enjoying my Meindl's but now love my Kenetrek boots!
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
Im gonna get them i just would like to find somewhere where i can just go buy them... i already tried them on but i wanna just go pick them up but if i have to ill order them... anybody know of any dealers in washington or portland area?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
this guy's a dealer
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=3886

not sure where he's at. he's a site sponsor too.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
http://www.kenetrek.com/dealers-Washington.asp

looks like three rivers archery might be one of your better choices to go see them.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
I just bought a pair of Irish Setters that I really like, but when they wear out, I am replacing them with Kenetreks.  I know a few guys that have them, and everyone I know that owns a pair, are fanatical about them.
As far as the insulation, I have a buddy that owns a pair of the 400 grams.  I ran into him scouting for elk in the Blues in July.  "Aren't those hot?" I asked him.  "Yup." he said.  "They're THAT comfortable, huh?"
"Yup." he said.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
thanks for the input guys  :) its gonna be the 400s for me and ill check into those guys to find a place to buy em and if not ill get them online

Offline BkCntryXtrme

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
Hi guys, I was at the Sports show in Portland last week, mainly representing Eberlestock packs and Russell Outdoors APXg2 gear (like sitka but half the cost), I do carry the Kenerek Mountain boots, and I am honoring the 2009 prices for the time being.  FYI, Kenetrek raised their prices in 2010 for dealers, so expect to pay about $20-30 more for their boots in the coming months.  There is no change to their boots, and I have no idea why they increased their prices this much, but they did it. 

I have just picked up Zamberlan boots as well...also made in Italy, better pricing(now), and they have been building boots since 1929, just have not advertised to the hunting world yet.  Gore-Tex lined and Vibram soles, both proven companies...Eastmans is using them, they are every bit as good as the Kenetreks in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone I spoke with at the Portland sport show, we had a great time talking to everyone about their experiences...

Our new website is up...www.lintonoutdoors.com, we will be adding new products weekly...Mountain House is next on the list...Thanks again

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
I bought the 1000gr mountain extremes and I love them,not as much insulation as you would think,I compare them to most 400gr insulated boots,I wore them up in B.C. on a early season elk hunt where temps got up to 80 during the day and my feet did not sweat,1 pair if ultimax sox is all I wore in them.
Jerry
elkaholic

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
I love my mountain extreme 400's.  Next pair will be the uninsulated though, as my feet don't tend to get too cold.  Kenetrek looks like they just came out with a new mountain boot for 2010 you might want to take a look at also.

Offline BC CHASER

• Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
Mine have been great so far.  If your feet are wide you will have to go with the 400's as they do not make wide in an uninsulated.  They are pretty true to fit but do require about 50 miles to break-in.  At first they will be a little stiff in the toe but will loosen up after about 50.  I had bought a pair of Scarpa Liskaams and had blisters the size of silver dollars in under 2 miles.  Two days later my kennetreks showed up and the next day with a little duct tape managed to do 44 miles in two days on the PCT.  I got mine through bugs and bullets out of MT.  Check their site out.  Don't forget that some boots work for some and some do not! 
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »
I think this will be my next boot.  I looked at Meidl's Alaskan Guide boots but they don't come in 400 only in 200g's.  Also apparantly they are like walking on concrete and you need to buy insoles for them.  I looked at the Alaskan's because that's what Cameron Hanes uses and he's a good of a judge of mountain boots as any. 

But from what you'all said and on other sites the Kenetrecks are as tough as the Alaskan Guide boots but as comfy as Danners.  So just waiting for my Danners to quite on me and I'll get these.  So it might be awhile. 
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 08:03:14 AM »
Good choice colockumelk.  Mine are in their 3rd season and holding up great.  They get used all year long.  Never had a Danner that could even come close to matching that.  Don't take it wrong, Danner builds a good boot and I still use them for work, but Kenetrek is superior in the mountains. :twocents:  Plan on buying a new pair at the Bighorn show next weekend, as you usually can get a free pair of their gaitors with purchase, as a show special.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 08:10:08 AM »
Great boots.... can't go wrong w/ those.

In the Meindle, the Perfect Hunter (I think that's the name) has 400.  Never heard Meindles being hard though.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 08:15:33 AM »
I've got the perfekt hunter 400's and they are awesome, just a little noisey but I've got them quieted down...nothing a little Nikwax didn't take care of.
The footbeds in the meindl's are great as-is as long as you wear them a while then add the little in-sole addition they give you, which is what they tell you to do. I tried the superfeet at REI and a few others but none were as good as the supplied ones that came with the boots.

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
Ah maybe that's why some guys claim that the  Alaskan's are really comfy and other say they are like concrete.  IE some put in the inserts and others threw them away. 

I think I'll end up going with the Kenetrek's.  Since they come in 400's.
"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »
yep they break in a little and their footbeds "settle" I guess is a good word...when you notice the boots loosening on your feet or feel them moving around, you're supposed to put the little insert things in. They're just a thin little plastic(maybe) layer you put under the footbeds. When you do this they become tight to your foot again and good as new.
I paid $65 for mine out of the bargain cave at Cabela's so I couldn't say no. I was planning for the kenetreks but when that deal came up I couldn't turn it down.

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
I love my mountain extreme 400's.  Next pair will be the uninsulated though, as my feet don't tend to get too cold.  Kenetrek looks like they just came out with a new mountain boot for 2010 you might want to take a look at also.
I saw them at the sportsmans show and they were cool but CRAZY expensive even compared to the other kenetreks... the guys said he wouldnt recomend them unless you were like a sheep guide or something but they were pretty cool

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »
Wow!  Do you remember the cost?  As impressed as I am with the older ones, I don't know how they could improve them enough to pay too much more..........

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
If i remember right they were like close to 500! the whole boot was like that rhino liner type stuff

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
The Mountain guides are $425, but the Mountain Extreme's are only a cool $355.  For you.... today, almost free (said in your best used car dealer voice)

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
oh wow im sold! do i get two for the price of one PLUS an additional gift at no charge just pay separate s&h?

Offline ChesapeakeMan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
If anyone is near Bellingham Yeager's has Kenetrek's on sale right now.  I just picked up the mountain extremes for $269.  So far I like them alot.  Can't wait to really test them out.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »
If anyone is near Bellingham Yeager's has Kenetrek's on sale right now.  I just picked up the mountain extremes for $269.  So far I like them alot.  Can't wait to really test them out.

Thanks for the info!  Called them and ordered a pair the same day.  Great price.  Now, if the pick-up guy comes through and I actually see them............. :chuckle:

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:19 AM »
that sounds like an awsome deal i wish i had a little more cash right now  :( i might have to try anyway... will they ship them or would i have to drive up there? that would about kill the savings from where im at  :dunno:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
The gal I spoke to said that she could probably ship them, but after the cost of shipping and in-state sales tax, you're looking at a smaller savings than ordering them out of state from a company with free shipping.

Offline coonhound

• Jeff ><>
  • Longhunter
  • Jeff ><>
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »
I'm through my 2nd season with the Mountain Extreme 400's, by far the best boot i've owned.  I will however be purchasing an uninsulated pair.  In September whent it gets hot my feet roast, October on they are perfect.  I've never had a pair of boots with support like the Kenetrek's. I do wish they would use Vibram soles, they do on their new Mountain Guide boot, hopefully they'll add it to their other boots.  After 2 hard years of hiking and hunting I've put some significant wear on the soles, I'll have to resole them after this year.  I'm still sold on the Kenetrek, I use to wear the Meindl Mountain Hunters, great boot but 2 years was all I could get out of the upper.

Coon

Offline steelyonfly

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »
I've had all sorts of problems with various boot brands - Georgia (400gram insul - cheap leather and stretched too much, but are still wearable), Danner (200gram insul Super Rainforest - heavy, don't stretch, hotspots), Irish Setter (?400? gram of Elk Hunters - felt great at work or while working on house until I had to hike a long distance).  The worst was the Irish Setters getting blisters at about 3 miles in to a 10.5 mile pack in hunt up the Entiat River.  This was a good hiking trail, too.  Ruined the whole trip because the blisters blew out my heels and I couldn't hike up high were the deer were.  So I grumbled and hemmed-and-hawed at what to do next, short of deciding to hunt barefoot - joking!  I was at the WA Sportsmen's Show this year and a friend said I should try the Kenetrek's.  He wears Meindl's made for Cabela's and likes them, but the Lacey Cabela's doesn't stock them.  He had to special order them.  His sister has Kenetreks and loves them.  Anyway, I went to the Kenetrek booth and tried on the 400 gram insulated and non-insulated Mtn Extremes and even the 13" 400 gram pack boots.  All felt great!!  I new immediately that I had to spend the money.  I bought the non-insul Mtn Extremes.  As a plus, I also got a pair of their gaitors for free.  Nikwax is included with the purchase.  Total was $356.00 including shipping.  Had to wait a month longer than told for next shipment from Italy, but I would say they are well worth it.  I've worn them everyday since they came in the mail.  I've not been able to really test them in the woods yet, but I have walked through some recently clearcut areas and the support is fantastic.  So far, they seem to be a perfect boot.  I think that I've finally found the boot for me. 
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cascade_Sherpa

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »

Yah, that was a great deal, one of my coworkers told me about Yeagers having them. I almost got two pairs when they went on sale. They may be sold out of them now but $269 for Kenetreks is a steal!

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 02:16:15 PM »
I finally broke down and got the mountain extreme 400s. So far so good but i cant wait to really get out and try them in the woods.

Offline Cascade_Sherpa

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »
One other boot I'd like to try is the Hanwag's, they're advertised in Eastmans a lot. Eastmans did a boot review and they actually scored higher then the kenetreks I believe. They are imported by Lathrop and Sons:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

Offline 2bigfish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 04:09:20 AM »
 I agree with Coonhound. I have the Kenetrek 400's as well. I plan on buying the non-insulated next for the early season hiking. The 400s are great for late fall/winter. Just way too warmfor early season. I also have the Meindel perfekt hiker. One season and they are trashed. I will not spend money on these again. No one will regret a purchase from Kenetrek.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 05:49:24 AM »
I have the Kennetrek Mountain hunter. Love the boots and have put many miles on them. Just got them back after having them resoled. Word of wisdom is to buy some freesole and put it along the transition area between the rubber bottoms and the leather. This is wha t the guides in Ak do.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal