collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BEST WA. SHEEP UNIT WITH A BOW?  (Read 6376 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: BEST WA. SHEEP UNIT WITH A BOW?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »
killed a few of them too if I remember correctly.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
Killed almost all of them.

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
Ten of the twelve existing Tucannon bighorns were captured two days after Thanksgiving in 2009.  Adults were fitted with radio collars; all sheep were ear-tagged.  In addition to throat swabs and blood samples, all sheep were also treated for scabies.  The herd has been struggling for years and took a big blow during the School Fire.  Scabies also seems to have a greater negative impact on the California sub species.  Rockies that were transplanted into the Wenaha in the 1980's are believed to have passed the problem on to the sheep in the Tucannon.  It seems Rockies are more resiliant to Scabies but rarely does it cause mortality.  The Asotin herd is an example--scabies is present but the herd is still doing well.  The embedded pic is of a severe scabies outbreak in one of the Tucannon lambs.

The Montana transplant is unfortunately an uncertainty at this point.  The orginal herd source was declined by the Washington state vet due to a positive test for a sour mouth type disease.  The bio's were left scrambling and are trying to work out another herd source in Montana.  The deadline for moving sheep due to pregnant ewe concerns is March 1.  I will keep you posted.

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 06:08:52 AM »
There were 12 in the group we saw this winter. I saw 3 rams in there last spring that were definitely not in this group. are there only 12? do rams visit from other herds?  last year I heard that there were only 9 left???

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 06:50:25 AM »
The morning of the capture all twelve were in one group below the hatchery.  By noon that day, two had successfully avoided capture.  The helicopter spent considerable time flying in search of other sheep but to no avail.  Not saying there aren't more in there, that's all that was found that day.  A discussion was held that day on when/how to capture the two unmarked sheep.  I do not know if they ever did.   It was the tail end of the rut and the prime time for rams to go on a serious walk about in search of a date.  As I recall there were 3 lambs in the group this year so your count from last year sounds accurate.  If you have a few extra minutes the next time you spot the group of 12 can you let me know if in fact each and everyone is collared and/or ear tagged?  Thanks

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]