collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar Tips  (Read 138043 times)

Offline logola512c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Cougar Tips
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2021, 12:41:20 PM »
Yeah, if YOU are prepared for the cold and potentially being stuck in it, it's a great time to try for them, they're hungry!

Oh walking around in temps in the teens is no problem. Nothing better then cold walks.

Meh...the cold isn't what is stopping me.  It's the whopping 5 inches of clearance that my mini-van has...

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2021, 07:55:24 PM »
Yeah, if YOU are prepared for the cold and potentially being stuck in it, it's a great time to try for them, they're hungry!

Oh walking around in temps in the teens is no problem. Nothing better then cold walks.

Meh...the cold isn't what is stopping me.  It's the whopping 5 inches of clearance that my mini-van has...
:chuckle:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2022, 07:06:55 PM »
Seems like a good time to start this thread back up. Calling for bears this weekend in the NE corner I decided it was probably time to give up on that and switched to using some cat vocalizations. Haven't seen fresh bear sign in weeks...

Using fawn chatter and lost goat distress calls for about 40 minutes then mixing in cat sounds. No luck with that either but had a good time exploring a bit.

Will be listening to Rainshadow's seminars this week in prep for an attempt next weekend. If anyone has a recommendations on where to try around Ellensburg / Cle Elum let me know! I'll just be winging it as of now.

Offline bmc02

• Tracker
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2022, 06:32:28 AM »
tired of seeing cougars on my game cams this year (selkirk 113). also have had a bear and wolf in the last month. so maybe time to start focusing on them (since the deer hunting is not surprisingly *censored*). I've watched some videos and read some articles but totally new to predator hunting.

Haven't seen much about using a blind. What are thoughts on putting up some netting around your sitting spot. Not sure I can sit perfectly still for as long as I'm reading you should. Will likely pick up a fox pro and just start with simple calls. I would love to kill one of these things, not picky - any one will do. haha. I've had a few instances of cougars on different days in the last couple weeks, I know they are hanging out in my area.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
New to this myself, but based on the research I've done being quiet getting to and setting up your call stand is pretty important. I'm sure you could set up a little pole style turkey blind quietly. But, since cats prefer to approach from uphill, the effectiveness might be limited based on the contour of the land around you. I'd say it's worth a try.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2022, 12:30:49 PM »
Should have some fresh snow on the ground this weekend in the Cascades. Anyone making plans to get out after some cats?

Thinking about trying around the Cle Elum area on Saturday. Only have one lead on a cat so going to start there. Back in early October a dirt biker stopped by my camp and told me he jumped one at the second gate up the road, only about an hour after I had passed that same gate on foot. Not sure if it'll still be in the area.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal