collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain Goats  (Read 22959 times)

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
Re: Mountain Goats
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
I drew a Archery tag for the Olympics about 12 years ago...  Found enough goat wool to make sweaters for 30 people...  Got into about a dozen.  Only real shots available to me were nannies with kids...  The only lone animals I saw were a couple of thousand feet up the side of Mt Elinor.  Wet, rainy, mossy and slick.  Vine Maples are never your friend when trying to get thrrough them.  Still putting in for another tag.  It looks as though the WDFW is going to possibly increase the number this year.  It's also hard to tell what exactly they mean by number of applicants to understand what the draw chances are.  I have an idea that they are using the cummulative preference points in their application numbers as the number of applicants has increased significantly from year to year.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
They give the number of applicants if you go to "2006 Special Hunt Permit Drawing Result Summaries."

It shows there was 7,517 applicants last year. It has nothing to do with the number of points people have.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:30:13 AM by bobcat »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
Those are real numbers and your chance to actually draw a tag now is really scarce.  You can look at it in two ways.  When you had to front the cash it really discouraged people from applying.  This method was great if you could afford it, but was using money as a way to discourage some from hunting, which is never really a good thing.  However, now that it is affordable and for everyone, it really makes it a lottos chance in heck to draw.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 12:49:47 PM »
The main thing that I dislike about our big game lottery system is that there are far too many people putting in for tags who dont know what they are doing and are just in it to be in it.  I know several guys who put in for sheep, moose and goat for themseves and their family members who have never stepped out of their vehicle during hunting season except to take a leak or to glass the same clear-cut as everyone else in the county.  They have no idea what kind of actual work is in store if they do draw a tag.  Most that I know who are like this doubt if they can get away from work long enough  to hunt.  If you arent sure about being able to utilize the tag then do not put in for it!  Take the points if you have to but dont clog it up for those of us who are willing and able to make the best of a once in a lifetime tag.
I get pissed when I read of hear about tag holders who never bothered to go out on their hunt.  I (as many of you) have been putting in for sheep, moose and goat for 20+ years and still havent drawn anything.  Sometimes I think that I would have a better chance if I was applying from out of state.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]