collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: '08 Deer Plans?  (Read 10811 times)

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
'08 Deer Plans?
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
I know everybody has already got their game plan together for the upcoming '08 season, so lets share our plans for the 2008 deer season?  I myself am going to draw a desert tag and kill a 190" buck... hehe ya right!

For '08 I'm actually switching back to Modern rifle to do the Sept. High buck hunt...  Got some great areas to check out and hopefully I'll be able to knock down a nice buck... we'll see with this winter we're having though how many bucks actually make it back to the high country!

I'm also putting in for the multi-season permit to hopefully still be able to hunt the late archery season if I don't tag out earlier.

What are your plans for '08?

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: '08 Deer Plans?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:18:35 AM »
I'll figure it out after all the draws shake out :dunno:

THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
It's still too early to decide, for me. I'm kind of waiting to see what this winter does to the deer before I make any decisions on where to hunt. I was considering a drop camp for mule deer, either early rifle or general season, but if there is a signifcant winter kill then I will probably forget that idea. Most likely I will end up hunting blacktails close to home, and probably will put more time into elk than deer. A mule deer hunt in Idaho is something I'm considering also, but that too will depend on the winter kill.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
After filling the freezer with 07 permit deer and elk, I intend to pull back on the meat hunting, and step it up a bit, look for a better rack this year. I am planning on being a bit more mobile this season, trying two areas I have in mind, instead of my favorite old haunt. See some of these other areas during the modern rifle hunt. Hope I am not disgusted with what I see.

My problem is, I am always falling back on what is familiar. I have scouted other areas, but in the last 10 years, usually fall back on ol' faithful. I am a chickensheit.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
well i have never needed to put infor a tag for deer but plan on putting in for spring bear , turkey and elk for this year if i can make it happen......

As for my plan for deer??????? i am thinking i am going to spend a little more money on suppliments and maybe trying to start a small food plot during the spring and summer months and see if adding to the suppliments will give me some larger animals to hunt from.....but this is actually just for a back up...my original plan is to start off scouting early and try to find and locate two deer that i lost last year....

see i have been stocking and hunting two deer in paticular for several years now and usually see them the day before opener and usually once after i shoot my deer after season starts but im hoping that they havent died and that i can get on one of them this year.really, really, really hoping that i can get on one of them this year. i am almost 100% positive that the deer i got this year is an exact cross of the bucks i am looking for if i cant get the dads ill take the older kids, lol :chuckle:.......there are alot of people that would say that WT hunting is really easy....well no not necessarily i put in alot of time and am highly devoted to hunting WT...if you are hunting for meat and you are just shooting your everyday, every year buck then yes it is alot easier, but i am not. i have takin WT hunting to an extreme, it is my passion and i have tried toning my skills so that i could be where i need to be and know what i need to so that when the big monster WT comes in, BAMM, BAMMMMM. well not monsters but more mature i guess is what i mean. i really have turned my focus the last couple years from shooting the 2 to 3 year old deer to the 5 year plus deer. not just for the horns but i believe by taking a couple of the older livestock that i will help by letting some of the younger mature bucks come in and repopulate the area with new hopefully better and bigger genetics.....i know alot about WT but not everything so some extra field time this year before hunting season is what i am going to go after this year to get me prepared for hunting season............

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »
If colorado doesn't have a big winter kill I am going to burn my deer points on a third season tag.  But if they do have a winter kill, then I am going to try and draw an out of state tag somewhere, I'm hoping that I can draw a muzzleloader elk tag in New Mexico.  And if all else fails then I will hunt Idaho for mule deer most likely.  Plus I always hunt washington for deer and elk.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »
Assuming I don't draw for any special permit species again, I plan on spending September bowhunting elk.  If I get one quick, I'll go deer hunting.  Probably up in the NE part of the state.  Trophy only for me this season as I have a freezer full of elk and moose already.

Offline 6 Point

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
Private Land Muzzleloader Hunt  near Collville

Hopefully Elk in Oregon(modern)  and

Wyoming for speedgoats , deer, and elk  (3 sep trips)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »
Like Pope I will be hunting elk here in the first part of September and hope to be hunting elk in the middle to end of September in Montana, if I dont draw I will be dragging M-Ray over there to show him my "honey hole", he has 2 points and should be a shoe in to draw. October brings the traditional Methow hunt and I hope to find my daughter a buck to compliment her effort for this last year. November I am hoping to have a late tag or possibly witnessing "hell freezing over" and having the "raffle" tag in my pocket :chuckle: sorry to disappoint the rest of you ;). Again making the drive back over to Montana, hopefully with my own tag but again at the very least living vicariously through M-Ray and helping him tag a 180+muley. Then its back home to sit in front of the laptop impatiently waiting for updates on the "raffle" tag winners daily post. Of course there are hundreds of pics being taken the entire time, and converting and resizing all of those will be a task as well. If I dont draw Montana my bro and I are hitting Idaho somewhere in between all this chaos, man life is good :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »
Well I'll start with looking into the Spring Bear then Turkey's since I have never really done either one of those seasons I figure it's as good as anytime to start! Then my plans will depend on the draws in other states. But I figure to spend most of September Hunting Archery Elk in Oregon (tmike and I both have 10 points so we will be helping each other) If neither of us draw there I will look to whats left in Idaho for Elk or we have talked about trying Colorado for both deer and elk.
In WA. I am torn now with no points for Elk now weather I will go back to west side Archery or keep with the eastside and take my lumps with the spike tag & short muzzle season (which doesn't conflict with Oregon) I will hunt deer on the eastside somewhere.

Then I will forego my Idaho whitetail plans this year to take Huntnphool up on his offer to go to Montana ... I would be a phool not to right? not only for the hunting but the chance to spend good times with friends from the past (we started playing soccer together when we were about 7 or 8 ) Hopefully there will be a draw in there somewhere to put me in a snit but it would be a good problem to have, I'm looking forward to a great 08!  :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:20:05 PM by M_ray »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 01:25:06 PM »
Here are my thoughts on this years seasons.

If I draw out in one of my out of state elk hunts I will do that as they are way better than anything in Wa.  IF I don't draw on the last WA eastside Blues tags I will go to Colorado. If I draw a different state I'll most likely get a Westside archery tag.

For deer Im most likely only applying for points in Washington as I dont want to waste them in a year where the trophy numbers are so down.  If I draw out of state I'll be going in January or August so I have a hole in November and I think that I will go to Utah and do the Wasatch extended archery hunt. There is always the late archery here too.

I've also been playing around with doing  a Brown bear/ mt goat combo  in Alaska but those seasons are in September so that would affect Archery elk so I'd need to not work for a month which would be fine but the wife might get a little pissy if Im gone that long :chuckle:

All of the sheep moose and goat ect.. draws are the wild-cards and they would ruin all of my plans.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
Headed over east again this year in pursuit of a big muley. Then in November I am headed over to Minnesota to hunt some whitetails! Might even go for an over the counter tag in OR for blacktails, if I am still feeling frisky.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
Going to see what time allows, this might be the year I get serious about getting a bear, will probably get some deer hunting in as well, perhaps a bonzi trip to the high country, who knows.  Will depend on the winterkill and how things are going on the homefront. 

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »
All thats assuming I don't draw a Henrys tag or Book Cliffs tag this next weekend or one of the Utah elk permits I put in for.  That would be the BOMB!

Offline Chopaka81

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
This past year I turned 50. This Christmas my "to me - from me - thank me very much" gift I purchased a 3 yr membership to a local gym. My plan is do a hard core cardio workout 4 days of each week from here forward to the opener. I swore this year the hills got steeper - then I got on a scale.
A friend who is a retired Marine Corps Gunny explained it this way to me, "sweat in peace or bleed in war."

Don
Don

Snohomish Co. WA
NRA Life Member

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]