collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duck Mount Prices?  (Read 15779 times)

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Copperwood.kennelsWA/
    • Copperwood Kennels
Duck Mount Prices?
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:57:59 AM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering what is a good price a duck mount. A few taxidermists have have told me from $190-$260 depending on the style. Any help would be great.
 thank you
Copperwood Kennels
Lone Duck Outfittes Prostaff
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
Re: Duck Mount Prices?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »
Just like anything else or any other trade 10% are professionals that do top quality work and the rest 90% do average to poor work.

The average usually charge $190-260 and the pros usually charge $350+

It's worth the extra for premium taxidermy that looks alive and lasts many years
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
I don't buy what Singleshot has stated.  I've seen some really good work that is done in that price range, Lazylab.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »
I have a guy who does mine for $145 and I'm happy with them. Probably aren't as good as the $350 ones and if I ever got a world-class duck mounted I'd pay the extra bucks but whats a world-class duck ?????   

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
On waterfowl I am between 225.00 and 275.00. Birds if they are done correctly involve a lot of time to make sure they are preened back to looking like a bird. On some birds it is not hard to burn up 5-10 hours just getting feathers set back in the same pattern.

Whomever you decide to go with make sure that they have a FEDERAL license for migratory birds and not just a state license for taxidermy, they are two different types of license, a lot of individuals walk into a taxidermy shop not knowing this.

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »
I have seen a lot of birds done by guys that dont really take the time to get the right coloring on bills and feet.  Some of these same guys do great big game work but just lack the knowledge of how the birds are suppose to look as in a natural looking position.  I had a buddy take a seaduck in and the guy didn't fully flesh it and a year later it is junk.  He tossed it it started getting an oily look.  Just ask if they do a lot of ducks or geese.  Look at there work.  I paid around $250 a bird and the guys strictly does birds and he makes them look so natural and real.  I am sure BlkbearKlr if he is spending up to 10 hours on a bird is getting detail the way it should be.

Offline WCTaxidermy

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »
Hi lazylab, Your question is a hard one to answer.  I don't know what you mean by price depending on style.  Do you mean the style of duck or the style of pose?

May I suggest you try this.  When you collect your trophy bird you want mounted, call a Taxidermist and talk to him/her.  Ask about various poses, because depending on the species of the bird, one pose may not work for the species like it will for other species.  A good example would be if a client called and wanted a Diver duck mounted in a standing pose, I would suggest a pose consistent with sitting in a relaxed pose or with one leg out or something similar because of the anatomy of Divers.  They just don't look good standing or being out of water for that matter.  A good bird Taxidermist will know these things.

Where I am going with this is you need to feel good about talking with your Taxidermist.  He /She needs to take the time with you to discuss everything about your trophy because a good taxidermist knows how important that trophy is to you. 

I strongly disagree with singleshot12 statement about average Taxidermist's and Pro's.  If you talk with your Taxidermist and they make you feel good about your trophy and your happy with the results, then "A PRO" did a great job for you and your mount, no matter if your trophy cost you $150.00 or $450.00.

I hope this helps with your decision making and good luck. ;) 

John

Offline turkey slayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »
Lazylab,

How I base my prices on small duck $185.00 and large duck $200.00. I have never herd of different pose prices except for turkeys. They mite of been talking about habitat scene involved in a mount that usually adds 50 to a 100 dollars.
Like BLKBEARKLE said, make sure the have a federal license.

Thanks Brandon

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Copperwood.kennelsWA/
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input. I am looking forward to next season and hopefully spending some money on my success. P.S. John at WCTaxidermy I have heard nothing but great things about you and your work, just saved your website to my favorites.
Thanks
Lazylab
Copperwood Kennels
Lone Duck Outfittes Prostaff
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87