collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 13522 times)

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Ticks
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »
OMG, I just about lost my lunch :puke:  I am going to order two bottles of that stuff. 

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
Anyone know if a thermacell has any effect on them? Or is it more for the winged bloodsuckers. I know it works well on skeeters and no seeums

I second that question...  anyone know?
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
Anyone know if a thermacell has any effect on them? Or is it more for the winged bloodsuckers. I know it works well on skeeters and no seeums

I second that question...  anyone know?

I don't think so..but I have mine and I use it from time to time..Nothing beats underarmour and permerithrin spray..It kicks butt.  Lasts for 2 weeks. 

Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
You can buy permethrin from your local feed store and then mix the stuff up yourself.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
I hunted a mile by mile patch of State land out by Devils Gap, walked in 1 mile, walked over 1 mile then out one mile. Didn't get any gobbles so I left. Didn't do a tick check because I wasn't there long and I was parked out in the open. I jumped in my truck and saw a tick on my leg. So I jumped out and found 27 ticks on me. :yike:

Offline hornhunter

• Scout
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 05:38:39 AM »
:hello: hey everybody Lets tell are best Tick stories!!  :P :yike:

Back in "93 up in the Tucannon I lost 2 pints of blood to one of them critters.  I thought the lump was a hemmroid and then I saw the legs wiggling!   :yike:   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  I took my camo glove...LOL   :chuckle:

Did you stand and squat over a mirror on the ground?  :puke:  :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Offline hornhunter

• Scout
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 05:42:24 AM »

Iread a post on here last year one of the guys posted, guy claimed he had one IN his ear latched on :yike:  had to go to the hospital and have it removed.  Every time I see a tick or hear a tick story since then I think about that story :o Who is the Tick IN the ear guy?

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »

Yea....that was me.
It was attached to my eardrum.
The worst part wasn't the tick..... or the hypodermic in the ear...but when the anesthesia was wearing off...that was some serious pain!

I despise them!  :mgun2:

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 06:56:56 AM »

Back in "93 up in the Tucannon I lost 2 pints of blood to one of them critters.  I thought the lump was a hemmroid and then I saw the legs wiggling!   :yike:   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  I took my camo glove...LOL   :chuckle:

Did you stand and squat over a mirror on the ground?  :puke:  :chuckle:  :chuckle:

No... I had my friend hold a mirror...LOL  We then tied a rope around it and he pulled it off... :chuckle: :chuckle:
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »
So once that bug spray drys it cant hurt you anymore? It seems like if you sweat through your clothes the spray would end up getting on your skin or even if you wipe your face or something. Any problems with this situation?

Offline hornhunter

• Scout
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
jager- Your forever in my thoughts, MAN I think Im gonna make some "ear nets" out of an old face mask.  :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »
Yep, all you guy and gal turkey chasers ....... just hunt Easterns in tick-free Western WA this year and you will have nothing to worry about!!  :P  You also probably won't have to worry about having your bird(s) checked by the WDFW.  Just look at the historical harvest numbers for the wetside!    :rolleyes:

There be ticks here on the wet side also....  I have seen them in the Tenino and Rochester areas. 

If you take your dogs out in the field, you should put that stuff down their backs so if the ticks bite them the ticks die.  I think it is the same stuff that you can put on them for fleas.

I still have a lump on the back of my head at the hairline where my mom was trying to get a tick out by using a match to heat it so it would back away.  She burned up the tick but it left its head in there....

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
Buddy and I did some hiking around in the foothills around Dayton this weekend.  We each easily pulled 80 ticks off on one little hike this morning!  We thought we had them all off.  On the drive home he found 2 more on him and I had one trying to drop on me from the roof of my truck....Damn near ran off the road trying to get that little *censored* out of the truck.  My skin is still crawling.

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »
Buddy and I did some hiking around in the foothills around Dayton this weekend.  We each easily pulled 80 ticks off on one little hike this morning!  We thought we had them all off.  On the drive home he found 2 more on him and I had one trying to drop on me from the roof of my truck....Damn near ran off the road trying to get that little *censored* out of the truck.  My skin is still crawling.
Man reading these stories makes me not event want to go turkey hunting.. :'( WHat do we do  :dunno:.. I love to turkey hunting so much but with these little *censored* eating people it gives me the willies...  :ACRY:.. I am so confused right now.. :cryriver:..Freaken Ticks.. One Horned SPike, COugrKlr.. We are going to be Tick Hunting while we are Turkey Hunting.. You Too Titan1..  :tree1:  Ticks  :pee:!!
Their going down!!!

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »
its funny to consider the torrential weather, waves, currents, etc I'd take a boat in for duck hunting... and consider the big game that we see in the wilderness while chasing turkeys. Sleeping among bears, wolves, pissed off Meese, etc... And yet these tiny little critters bug us more than anything. this thread made me throw up a little in my mouth  :chuckle:

Ticks are icky.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand